Wiring Water Shutoff Valve to IOLinc

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wiring Water Shutoff Valve to IOLinc

I have a Water Cop automatic water shutoff valve, and it conveniently provides an external trunk to wire to an IOLinc to signal when the valve has shutoff.

And once again, the wiring has come loose, and I do not know how to re-wire, because I haven't recorded the wiring diagram.

Given the attached RJ45 out diagram from the Water Cop, what terminals should I connect the three wires to? I am only interested in sensing a shutoff, not controlling the valve remotely.

Thanks....and I promise this time I'll record the diagram!
    Jim Speiser
    Payson, Arizona

Insteon/X-10 since 1985 | 200+ Insteon devices (and one Zigbee!) | USB PLM | HomeSeer 3 | Current WAF Level: -12

You should only need two of the three output wires.

If you want the I/OLinc's Sensor input. To turn On when the Valve is closed.
    Valve 3 to the I/OLincs ground terminal. Valve 2 to the I/OLinc's Sensor input. When the valve is closed. Valve terminal 3 is connected to Valve 2 terminal and should show Sensor On in the I/OLinc.

If you want to have open turning On the I/OLinc. Use 3 and 4.

Comment

Originally posted by BLH View Post
      You should only need two of the three output wires.

If you want the I/OLinc's Sensor input. To turn On when the Valve is closed.
      Valve 3 to the I/OLincs ground terminal. Valve 2 to the I/OLinc's Sensor input. When the valve is closed. Valve terminal 3 is connected to Valve 2 terminal and should show Sensor On in the I/OLinc.

If you want to have open turning On the I/OLinc. Use 3 and 4.
      Valve 3 to IOLinc GND? Not COM?

I think I'll go with the reverse scenario, where ON = OPEN, and where CLOSED would set off the alarm.

Thanks, I'll try this, if you're sure about Valve 3 -> GND.
      Jim Speiser
      Payson, Arizona

Insteon/X-10 since 1985 | 200+ Insteon devices (and one Zigbee!) | USB PLM | HomeSeer 3 | Current WAF Level: -12

Comment

Yes Valve 3 to I/OLinc GND (Ground) and S (Sensor) are for the Sensor Input.

COM is the common terminal of the Output relay. If you accidentally used the relay output common. It is a dry contact so you would do no harm. Unless you where also using the relay output for something. The Sensor Input would never change state.
        Last edited by BLH; 10-20-2020, 03:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BLH View Post
          Yes Valve 3 to I/OLinc GND (Ground) and S (Sensor) are for the Sensor Input.

COM is the common terminal of the Output relay. If you accidentally used the relay output common. It is a dry contact so you would do no harm. Unless you where also using the relay output for something. The Sensor Input would never change state.
          OK, mission accomplished. It worked! Surprising because I'm certain I had three wires hooked up last time, and that worked too. Like you say, I may have had the common wired as well, which you say will do no harm.

Thank you!
          Jim Speiser
          Payson, Arizona

Comment

Working...
          X