Doorbell Kit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Doorbell Kit

A long time ago, in a smart home far, far away....I installed an Insteon doorbell kit. It was kind of a Rube Goldberg thing, but it worked. In a nutshell, pressing the doorbell would trigger the sensor on one IOLinc in the laundry room, which would transmit an "ON" to another IOLinc in the living room. The second IOLinc would then send a MOMENTARY ON to a doorbell chime TRANSMITTER right next to it, which would then transmit a code to a doorbell chime RECEIVER on our back porch, which would then ring out one of 5 or 6 tunes. The idea is that we can't hear the regular doorbell when sitting on the back porch, so we needed a remote chime.

Well, about 6 months ago, the chime RECEIVER stopped chiming. It's just DOA. So I spent the next 6 months (in my spare time, which was minimal) looking for a replacement. I've checked everywhere, apparently it just doesn't exist.

Right now, we have a workaround using HomeSeer on the back porch computer. When the doorbell is pressed, the HomeSeer Speaker Client says, and I quote, "Ding-Dong." Works fine....until the HS Server goes down, which it does from time to time.

So my next plan is to find something that will accomplish the same thing. Anything that might be compatible with the IOLinc. I know my best bet is to yank it all out and go with a RING or AUGUST or something from this century that can send to a remote chimer, but I just worked so damn hard on the Rube Goldberg solution, I hate to abandon it altogether....

Jim Speiser
    Payson, Arizona

Insteon/X-10 since 1985 | 200+ Insteon devices (and one Zigbee!) | USB PLM | HomeSeer 3 | Current WAF Level: -12

Are you using the 24950A6 Doorbell Kit. That was a 2450 I/OLinc and an ELK 930 you used one part of a three board set.
    To trigger the second 2450 I/OLinc and want a new wireless doorbell set that the second I/OLInc can trigger?

Comment

Originally posted by BLH View Post
      Are you using the 24950A6 Doorbell Kit. That was a 2450 I/OLinc and an ELK 930 you used one part of a three board set.
      To trigger the second 2450 I/OLinc and want a new wireless doorbell set that the second I/OLInc can trigger?
      No, just found the docs, and it was listed as IOLINC™ - INSTEON® Remote Chime Alert Kit Model 50810. There's no circuit board, no ELK. The chime transmitter/receiver/chime set it comes with is from a maker called CARLON. They are still in business, but they don't make anything that is compatble with their legacy transmitter.
      Jim Speiser
      Payson, Arizona

Insteon/X-10 since 1985 | 200+ Insteon devices (and one Zigbee!) | USB PLM | HomeSeer 3 | Current WAF Level: -12

Comment

Thanks for the information.
        I do remember there was a different kit with the parts you pointed out.

I did a web search for the Smarthome 50810 Kit.
        I found a web vendor (Smart Home Products) that listed the kit and allowed me to add it to a Cart.
        Not sure if they would have given you an out of stock message if you proceeded from the cart to purchase area.
        Last edited by BLH; 08-11-2020, 07:06 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by BLH View Post
          Thanks for the information.
          I do remember there was a different kit with the parts you pointed out.

I did a web search for the Smarthome 50810 Kit.
          I found a web vendor (Smart Home Products) that listed the kit and allowed me to add it to a Cart.
          Not sure if they would have given you an out of stock message if you proceeded from the cart to purchase area.
          Well, that's darned nice of you to go to the trouble....but jeez, the whole kit? Well, I guess it's worth it....SmartHome, you say? I'll check it out.
          Jim Speiser
          Payson, Arizona

Comment

If you wanted to keep most of the setup you now have and not get a whole kit. Maybe you can get a wireless doorbell kit and wire the I/OLinc Relay output across the switch in the transmitter unit. Most likely looks like a doorbell button. Of course you then will have a battery in the sender.

Not Smarthome.
            Smart Home Products.
            https://www.smarthome-products.com/p...alert-kit.aspx

Last edited by BLH; 08-12-2020, 06:23 AM.

Comment

If you didn't want to replace your existing setup and instead used what you already had. To make a wired doorbell work wirelessly, you may connect the transmitter's I/OLinc Relay output to a toggle switch. Like a doorbell button in appearance. There must be a battery in the transmitter in that case.
              mario games

Comment

Originally posted by wakewrestler View Post
                If you didn't want to replace your existing setup and instead used what you already had. To make a wired doorbell work wirelessly, you may connect the transmitter's I/OLinc Relay output to a toggle switch. Like a doorbell button in appearance. There must be a battery in the transmitter in that case.
                Glad to see this forum is still working, anyway....and welcome to the Insteon Afterlife. I guess it's more like Limbo.

I long ago bit the bullet and hooked up a Netvue NetBelle doorbell w/camera. In addition to sending a live video feed to our smartphones, it transmits a ding-dong to Alexa. I feel like I went from MacGyver to the Jetsons.

Thanks to you & everyone for the advice.

Jim Speiser
                Payson, Arizona

Comment

Working...
                X