Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why not a second Insteon skill for Alexa?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why not a second Insteon skill for Alexa?

Currently, there is no support for the I/O module with Alexa. As discussed elsewhere, security was the issue relating to garage door control. I accept this. However, it makes sense to me to have a second Insteon skill for Alexa, one that operated on a secure basis. This skill would require a password to continue. My front door has a Schlage deadbolt that I can control via Alexa. It asks me for a pin to unlock but not to lock or for status. If I miss the pin x times, the skill is disabled and can only be re-enabled via the Alexa app. This sort of approach seems a workable solution by Insteon for people like me that just installed the garage door kit and want to use it with Alexa.

That sounds like a great idea. I think where the 2 differ is the lock is specific to 1 use while the iolinc has many uses.

While some such as yourself may want to use it to control garage and be happy with a code; all users would need to use a code just to turn other things on/off that they may have connected to it. I think if they came out with a unit specifically for garages, then a second skill would be a perfect idea

Comment

I was thinking the same thing that not every application of iolink would warrant a code. The other alternative is to make the second alexa skill default to require a code for each device and force the user to "turn it off" for each device that didn't need one. But, I'm not sure that's a good idea.
      Last edited by Fizzisist; 06-12-2020, 12:14 PM.

Comment

If I understand you correctly, are you suggesting a second i/olink for secure applications such as a garage door? If so, the existing alexa insteon skill could be modified to allow all iolinks to be used and only require code for the "secure" iolink.

Comment

Thats what I am suggesting. Unfortunately the standard iolinc would not be supported as it would defeat the purpose of the secure device.Unfortunately there is no easy answer to this situation

Comment

Working...
          X