I/O Linc not working with water shutoff valve

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I/O Linc not working with water shutoff valve

Had my I/O Linc setup to control a water shutoff valve, along with my Insteon Hub and several water leak sensors. Everything worked fine until recently. Now the I/O Linc doesn’t seem to open or close the shutoff valve. I’ve tried replacing the I/O Linc, no luck. I’ve also tried manually triggering the valve without the I/O Linc, using just the 12v power supply to apply power to the close cable to the valve, and that does work. Same with the close cable. So, I know the valve works. After trying 2 different I/O Lincs, I’m totally at a loss as to what the problem is. Any suggestions? Thanks!

The I/O Linc is a power line signals only Insteon module. Something may have changed causing noise or signal absorption between the HUB and the I/O Linc.

Do you know if the HUB and I/O Linc are on the same phase?

Any new or moved electronics in the home? Around the time you noticed the loss of control.

You could try temporarily moving the I/O Linc to an outlet connected to the HUB and see if you can then control it. Observing the LED on the side and hearing it go On and Off should do.
    Or if you have other Dual Band modules. Try putting one in the I/O Linc pass through outlet and see if anything has changed.

Comment

Nothing changed that I’m aware of inside the home, at least nothing I can point to specifically. I don’t know if the hub and I/O Linc are on the same phase, not sure how to tell? I’m unable to even do a simple test directly from the I/O Linc by pressing the set button to try triggering the shutoff valve to open/close - this doesn’t even include the hub (from my understanding). From the setup instructions for the shutoff valve, I should be able to connect the wires to the I/O Linc and press the Set button on the side of the I/O Linc to trigger the open/close and that does nothing. I also don’t hear any clicking sounds on the I/O Linc when pressing the set button.

Comment

Once you have the valve wired to the I/o linc, and everything plugged into power, you should be able to tap the set button on the I/o linc and see action on the valve. if that doesn't work you can ignore the Hub as it is not your immediate issue.

If you can actuate the valve with the power supply and not the I/O linc then we should look at the I/O linc. You said you went through two so I would want to start looking at the wiring. Even though it was working before something may have happened to cause the wires to get loose. Since you got a new one and replaced the wiring we should start with the simplest variable and make sure it is wired to the proper terminals and they are making a good connection.

if you post a picture make sure we can see the terminals on the Io linc.

Comment

If the set button toggle of the I/O Linc relay does not manually turn the valve on and off.
          Does the LED on the side even go bright or dim?
          Can you hear the internal relay clicking?
          After checking the wiring again. Even through it worked for awhile. I would suspect a defective I/O Linc.
          Have you verified that the valves voltage and current are with in the I/O Linc's maximum specification of 5A@ 30 Volts AC or DC?

Comment

Originally posted by BLH View Post
            If the set button toggle of the I/O Linc relay does not manually turn the valve on and off.
            Does the LED on the side even go bright or dim?
            Can you hear the internal relay clicking?
            After checking the wiring again. Even through it worked for awhile. I would suspect a defective I/O Linc.
            Have you verified that the valves voltage and current are with in the I/O Linc's maximum specification of 5A@ 30 Volts AC or DC?
            Yes LED on side of I/O Linc goes bright when I press the button, and dims when pressing again. But I don’t hear any internal relay clicking. I also suspected a defective I/O Linc but this is the 2nd one I’ve tried as replacement, so I’m a little suspicious that this is not the culprit.

As as far as checking the valve’s voltage and current, no I haven’t checked yet. Not sure how to, I have a voltage multimeter but I’m no electrician and would need some help on how to test. As I noted in my original post, I have tried manually connecting the valve wires to the AC adapter and it does work. So the only thing that would make sense is the I/O Linc not sending anything or perhaps I have another defective one (that’s 3?!).

I’ll send a photo of the wiring shortly...

Comment

Link to photo attached showing cabling to I/O Linc

Comment

If you have a meter that can read Ohms. You can disconnect the wiring and check from NC to Common terminals for a low resistance when Off and from the NO to Common terminals for a low resistance when On. You may have to put a short piece of wire in the terminals as I have had problems with my meter leads making good contact with the small terminal screws.

I didn't see anything sticking out in your photo as a problem.

Comment

I have installed a water value from Innovative Home Solutions and they have a great explanation on how to wire it to an IOLinc. The solution does require an external 12VDC power source to drive the valve:
                  https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/06...G?v=1415906773

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                  This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Update: turn out after chatting with a level 2 Insteon support person, and stopping by their support center (very fortunate I live very close to their offices!), I brought one of my I/O Linc devices by to test it, and they verified that one of my I/O Lincs was working properly (hearing an audible click when pressing the set button), but indeed the other replacement I/O Linc was defective (no audible click). After replacing the defective one with the one confirmed should work, wired it up a viola I now once again have a working water shutoff valve! Thanks again for everyone’s inputs and suggestions. Very weird that I had 2 defective I/O Lincs!

Last question: how do I link the wireless Insteon water leak detectors to the I/O Linc? It’s been so long since I did this, and the instructions are extremely confusing. Thanks again!

Comment

Working...
                    X