Exterior use of Insteon 2672-222 light bulb

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Exterior use of Insteon 2672-222 light bulb

I have been experiencing a lot of trouble with my x-10 exterior light switches. I have an older house with two wire switches and I have only been able to use the older x-10 wall switches for incandescent bulls. I had been using a Powerline A10 coupler/ repeater/ amplifier for the past 6 years but it blew after some electrical problems from the power company. I purchased two x-10 coupler repeaters and one died in two days and the other was DOA. I really want get switch to LED light bulbs and get away from x-10 altogether. I do have an insteon hub and five dual band lamp dimmer modules around the house- so I have some repeating of the signals. They all work without the use of bridge or phase coupler. I was wondering if anyone has used the Insteon bulbs in exterior fixtures. I know they are not rated for exterior use but I would consider trying it out. I would not care if the life span was shortened - I just want to get some decent use out of the bulbs. I live in New York and the temperatures can range from zero degrees to 100 degrees within a year. One fixture is open at the bottom and the other is enclosed.

Anyone have experience or information on using the bulbs outside?

Howard

The correct procedure in your situation is to use a Micro Module.
    Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
    Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

Stu, Thanks for your response. I do not know how small the micro module is but I have a three gang box - two of the switches are old x-10 two-wire wall switches. I guess you are telling me the LED bulbs will not withstand the exterior temperatures. Could I fit a micro module in the regular wall switch and still ghave room for the three switches?

Comment

The interior rated bulb is not watertight, so moisture can enter, especially in rainy weather or in an area with high humidity. The usual place for the Micro Module is in the fixture box, but I've installed them in switch boxes behind a standard switch.
        Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
        Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

I understand why I would use thwe micro module switches. They are kind of costly. I came up with a completely different approach to my exterior light issue. I came across Philips 429746 flourescent bulbs with built in photocells( $7.99 a piece). I can swap out my out x-10 switches and replace with regular on/off switches and throw on the photocell bulbs. Do you know anyone who used these bulbs?

Comment

Hey,
            The Insteon 2672-222 light bulb is not designed for exterior use It is essential to adhere to the manufacturer's guidelines for proper usage to ensure the longevity and performance of the bulb. Using it outdoors exposes it to various weather conditions that can negatively impact its functionality and potentially lead to safety hazards. To ensure safety and optimal performance, it's recommended to use the Insteon 2672-222 light bulb exclusively in indoor settings.
            Last edited by INSTEON John; 08-27-2023, 09:42 AM. Reason: Erased hidden code linked to a non-relevant web site like spam

Comment

Working...
            X