Outdoor HD Camera - POE?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Outdoor HD Camera - POE?

Help me here, This camera says POE, but I can't seem to get it to work w/o using the a/c wall wart. I understand that I could get it to work poe using injectors, but that's really not the point of POE, One can make most anything POE using an injector at the device end.

Is this camera TRUE POE or POE compatible with add'l hardware?

The injector, a cheap and easy to install device, gets installed indoors at your switch. Power wart indoors sends power to the injector, injector sends Ethernet plus voltage to the cam outdoors. The ethernet jack on the back of the outdoor cam will split the data from the power. No need for any additional hardware outdoors.

Am I correct here? Help us out someone.
    Hub I and Hub II
    iPhone 6, iOS 8.1.3
    2 Keypad dimmer switches, 2 Dual-Band Access Points
    2 LampLinc Plug In Dimmers, 1 On/Off Outdoor Module
    3 Motion Dectectors, 2 Micro On/Off
    1 In-Line On/Off Module, 1 I/O Linc (Garage Door Opener)
    2 ApplianceLinc Plug In Module, 2 SwitchLinc Dimmers
    2 FilterLinc Noise Filters, 1 Leak Sensor, 3 Cameras

Comment

Can you give us the model number of the camera, that you are asking about?
      That way we maybe able to determine if the camera has a built in POE interface on the network connector.
      You still have to provide power to the network cable at the router end. Either with a separate power injector with wall wart or some routers and network switches have a POE function built in.

If the network has a POE enabled network switch or router. It is most likely an active type POE and may have up to 48 volts DC on the network cable. To compensate for voltage drop in the cable. Pair 3 {4-5} would be +DC and pair 4 {7-8} would be -DC and the device it connected to would need an internal voltage regulator. To lower the 48 to the voltage it was designed to run from. I believe most of the Smarthome cameras are 12 volts DC.
      Last edited by BLH; 03-15-2015, 08:54 AM.

Comment

Smarthome/Insteon cameras require 5VDC.
        Last edited by stusviews; 03-15-2015, 01:44 PM.
        Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
        Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

Thank you Stu. For the proper DC voltage the Smarthome cameras use.

Comment

Thanks everyone for your replies. Insteon support got back to me, and their cameras are not 'native' poe, i.e., an injector at the camera end is required. There was an error in one version of the documentation for my camera, the 2864-232.

Comment

I own 9 of these cameras and my WiFi is overloaded. So I just bought a NetGear PoE switch (http://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-ProSAF.../dp/B00LW9A328) and some Texas Wi-Fi splitters (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EBCY2LG). But I can't get this camera to power up. Surely this should work, right? At first I thought the switch needed to be configured but it's supposed to auto-detect any power requests by default.

Comment

The one person who gave the splitter 5 stars said it didn't work. The only other two raters were not satisfied, either. I haven't tested either product.
                Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.

Comment

The Netgear is an Active POE type. It can send up to 48 volts DC on the network cable. It has to negotiate with the Active POE receivers in the attached devices. The Active POE Receiver has a voltage regulator in it to get the proper voltage it needs from the up to 48 volts on the network cable. There is no power to the devices network jack unless the negotiations show its needs. The cameras are not an Active POE type.

The splitter is for a passive POE type. Where the original devices power supply. Is connected to a POE Power Injector.
                  The passive POE Splitter then splits the DC off the network cable and connects to the cameras DC input jack.
                  The length of the network cable between a passive POE Injector and passive POE Splitter can effect how much voltage and current is available. As the resistance of the wires can cause a voltage drop.
                  Last edited by BLH; 12-12-2015, 06:03 AM.

Comment

Brian,

Would an active POE splitter work? http://smile.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_...e+poe+splitter

Comment

I have no experience with any Active POE Splitters.
                      I read some of the Amazon results from your search. They seem to comply with the POE standard in the Netgear.
                      One may want to verify the cameras voltage and current needed. Some in your search had less current available then others.

Comment

Yesterday I was able to use POE Injector and Splitter to power my two Insteon HD Outdoor Cameras. It didn't work at first when I was using my router. But after I connected them to my old switch it start working. It turs out it has to be old 10/100Mbps connection between devices. My new router is using 1Gbps connection that requires all cables to transmit the data not like 10/100 only 4.

Comment

The 10/100 does not use the extra 4 wires for signals. So the POE uses them to send power from the injector to the splitter The 1Gbps uses all 8 wires for signals and will not work with most POE setups.

I have seen a different setup for POE on a 1Gbps systems.
                          The injectors and splitters are designed to allow both power and signals on the same wires and not kill the signals.
                          I have also seen some of the 1Gbps routers have a built in POE feature and it detects the connected device is POE enabled can then apply the power.

Comment

Working...
                          X