Updating firmware

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Updating firmware

I have an Insteon 75790 camera. Since this is just a rebranded Foscam FI8918W, should I be able to update the camera with Foscam's firmware, which is newer than what Insteon has? The web interface between the two look exactly the same, save for the Insteon logo on mine.

There are minor differences in the firmware (other than the logo). The Foscam update may or may not work. It may render the camera into a brick. If you decide to take the risk, then post the result so others can benefit.
    Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
    Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

Yeeeaaaaahhh. I don't have the funds right now to possibly throw >$50 out the window. Which is why I was hoping someone else had already tried this.

Comment

Was there a specific feature you saw in the 3rd party vendor firmware that isn't supported in the Insteon? Normally out of course if something is operating fine it only makes sense to leave it as is. Firmware updates on hardware should not be taken lightly because there is a potential of breaking something along the way.
        Want to make a real difference? Please cast your vote to make the PLM Pro a reality: http://forum.insteon.com/forum/main-...t/8221-plm-pro

Comment

Nope. I'm just a very security-conscious individual and I'm OCD about keeping everything up to date. There's no port forwarding to my camera so it's not publicly exposed, but still...

Comment

I checked with Foscam and Insteon support... if you are using the cameras with the Hub the app is looking for the SDK not the FW. So as long as it is just a FW update, and the correct one , it should continue to work. I would recommend testing this first though.

Comment

Originally posted by amlamarra View Post
              Nope. I'm just a very security-conscious individual and I'm OCD about keeping everything up to date. There's no port forwarding to my camera so it's not publicly exposed, but still...
              I can respect that - Rock On . . .
              Want to make a real difference? Please cast your vote to make the PLM Pro a reality: http://forum.insteon.com/forum/main-...t/8221-plm-pro

Comment

Originally posted by SeanM View Post
                I checked with Foscam and Insteon support... if you are using the cameras with the Hub the app is looking for the SDK not the FW. So as long as it is just a FW update, and the correct one , it should continue to work. I would recommend testing this first though.
                I'm actually using the camera with ZoneMinder now and not so much with the Insteon hub. So I'm not worried about hub compatibility. But are you saying the Foscam firmware should work?

Comment

Originally posted by amlamarra View Post

I'm actually using the camera with ZoneMinder now and not so much with the Insteon hub. So I'm not worried about hub compatibility. But are you saying the Foscam firmware should work?
                  Did anyone try this? I have the HD camera and the firmware is from 2015, Foscam has released several security related firmware updates to the model I believe the HD cameras are re-badges of... really wish insteon dev support would take firmware and security more seriously...Example -https://www.foscam.com/company/security-updates-FF20171117001.html

From a bunch of digging it seems the HD Camera lower then v4 is either a FI9815P/v2 or FI9816P/v2
                  and an HD camera v4 or higher would be FI9816P V3 (Different firmware that the above just like official insteon firmware is different)

Comment

Those are not the camera models that Insteon is based on. The models that insteon is based off of are not affected, so there are no updates to it. Insteon cameras are based on the FC2401P and FI9804P.

Before assuming models, you should check directly with Insteon as downloading the wrong firmware based on assumption will brick your camera. Even if it were the same model, the insteon camera has a tweak which allows it to be found and connect to the hub. Even if the standard firmware update doesnt brick your camera, you would lose the ability to connect to the hub (if that is how you are connecting to the cameras).

Comment

Originally posted by lilyoyo1 View Post
                      Those are not the camera models that Insteon is based on. The models that insteon is based off of are not affected, so there are no updates to it. Insteon cameras are based on the FC2401P and FI9804P.

Before assuming models, you should check directly with Insteon as downloading the wrong firmware based on assumption will brick your camera. Even if it were the same model, the insteon camera has a tweak which allows it to be found and connect to the hub. Even if the standard firmware update doesnt brick your camera, you would lose the ability to connect to the hub (if that is how you are connecting to the cameras).
                      I decided to make a thread for further details here, http://forum.insteon.com/forum/main-...ted-in-so-long

You will see why "The models that insteon is based off of are not affected" is something you can not just claim with 100% certainty unless you work in the Dev department for Insteon.

Comment

Working...
                      X