Adding IP Camera to Insteon Hub

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Adding IP Camera to Insteon Hub

I have a Insteon 75790 camera up and running and added to my Insteon Hub v2.

I got a Insteon 2864 HD camera just the other day. I got it up and running using WiFi ok.
    I can was able to logon to the camera using IE and set it up for WiFi.
    After installing the IE plugin I was able to use the camera.

The only problem am having is adding the camera to my Insteon Hub.
    I have tried adding camera to the Hub with both Android Insteon Hub app and the Windows 8.1 Insteon Hub app.
    See results below.

Any suggestions?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    From Android app:
    Camera found,
    Entered username & password,
    Clicked on how I want to connect, wireless w/password, wireless w/open or wired.
    I have tried all 3, all I get is Camera found. Saving settings - do not unplug camera.
    It count down from 2:30 and nothing. Plus I lose the connection with IE.
    Camera no longer show up in IP Camera Tool.
    I have to hardwire the camera and re-set it up for wireless to get it to work on WiFi network again.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    From Windows 8.1 app:
    Scan for camera -
    Found camera.
    Displays the right IP address but displays 0 for port number.
    Prompts for username & password.
    Enters the same username & password as in IE.
    Received "ERROR" - The username and password for the camera is incorrect.

Manual Setup -
    Entered the same IP address and port number as IE.
    Received "ERROR" - Could not connect to camera. Please verify the IP and Port.

I have been experiencing the same issue and reported it Saturday. I just got off the phone with Insteon support. This is now a known bug with no eta on resolving. The outdoor camera will not work with either the Windows Phone or Windows 8.1 OS. I was told the app was being re-written to resolve this so obviously with MSFT approvals this will take some time. What bothers me the most is that the camera was apparently released without testing it on the Windows platform. With the new Microsoft partnership announcement, this was quite a surprise. The only way to access the outdoor client is through the Camera's WAN address which links directly to the camera without the hub. PS, this will not work in Chrome. No current workaround there either. It also will not work on the Windows phone so you have to install a 3rd party IP Camera app. Sigh....

Comment

I have non Insteon IP Cameras installed in my house and can see them with the Insteon Android app, including the Pan & Tilt control, but no luck with the iPad app, which although it finds the cameras with all the correct settings, but all I get is that picture of a cam with a diagonal line across it and no video. Maybe I have to install some Plug-in on the iPad? Hmmm

Comment

I have the exact same problem as Shadow has described above. Is there a resolution for this yet? Maybe the Insteon HD cameras are a mistake?

Comment

I had the same error. I was able to choose a port range of 25110 on the suggestion of their Tech Support, and it worked. Try moving the port and seeing if you can add it to the hub.

Comment

Some routers ask for a range of ports to forward. If there is only one port, then the same value is entered into both start and end.
            Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
            Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

Stu, what's the ETA for fixing this bug? Is the recommendation to just return everything?

Comment

Originally posted by flanakin View Post
                Stu, what's the ETA for fixing this bug? Is the recommendation to just return everything?
                What bug? The camera? The port? The Hub? Which app?
                Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.

Comment

Same issue and their support does not answer the phone... This is a trip to return to the MSFT store for sure.

Comment

This fixed it for me and here is what i did.
                    1. setup remote access on the hub using port 25110
                    2. Connect to your camera and change the port in the Basic Network Settings to 25110 (default is 80)
                    3. Connect the camera using the hub app

Accessing the camera in IE is now http://10.0.0.XXX:25110/

Comment

I have 6 Foscam Cameras, which is where Insteon gets their cameras from and I've been able to add them successfully. I had to change the admin password in order to get an image to show. The password I had been using had an @ symbol in it. The Insteon Hub App would allow me to add the camera, it shows the Type as an Insteon IP Camera and it would initially show the correct Foscam model number, but would have the camera with a slash through it and no image/video. After removing the @ symbol from the password the camera connected right up. I did have to delete and re-add the cameras, but that was easy enough to do. I have 5 9821W's and 1 8918W connected and working well. So technically they aren't Insteon camera's, but they basically are.

I got the idea to change the passwords on the cameras from the Password change screen in the app, it states to only use letters and numbers. The Foscams themselves don't allow the use of the $, but all other special characters work, just not along with the Insteon Hub App. I don't use port 80 and I didn't have to change the port to 25110. I use several ports, as I have multiple cameras and connect to them remotely with essentially a DDNS address, so they all have to be different.

Hope this is helpful to somebody.

Comment

Can I add any newer model of Foscam to Insteon Hub say the FI8931P?

Comment

Originally posted by TFitzpatri8
                          The Insteon apps only support the Insteon cameras.

To control multiple brands of cameras or multiple sites, use a third-party IP camera app. I like and use IP Cam Viewer myself (under $5 at the Apple App Store and Google Play), but I've heard good things about others as well. Using IP Cam Viewer, I can check in on the standard definition Insteon cameras using the Foscam Fl8918w device type, and the HD cameras using the Foscam Fi9821v2 type.
                          I have wansview and tenvis cams working fine. It only found all my wifi cameras and none of my Ethernet nor Poe cams.

Comment

Which Ethernet cams?

Comment

Working...
                            X