Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Two hubs on same LAN, can they work together?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Two hubs on same LAN, can they work together?

I have a house and an outbuilding 500' apart. I would like to set up a switch in the house and another in the outbuilding that run outside lights. In other words turning on the switch in the house turns on the lights at both the house and the outbuilding.

The outbuilding is on a different transformer, so PLC doesn't stand a chance. The RF network probably won't reach either. But the two buildings are connected to the same LAN. Can the Insteon ethernet hubs be configured to "pair"? (Forgive me if the terminology is wrong, I'm just starting with this technology).

you would be better off running 2 hubs. to do it another way would cost more. you can always use your phone to run the hubs. i set one up with a ipad at each location. i made a bracket to put it on the wall next to door.
    Iphone 4
    Iphone 5
    Ipad
    Ipod touch
    2 galaxy 3
    2-D link 655
    23 insteon
    2 ezflora
    HUB
    HUB II
    also using Smartlinc
    1E.A2.0F

Comment

Yeah that's what I was planning, two hubs.

My question is whether I can bind two switches on two different hubs (on the same lan) together...

I'm not opposed to using an iPad or IOS app on my phone to control them, but it would be nicer if a physical switch could also be used at both locations...

Comment

One Hub may not know what the other Hub is doing, most especially, if each is a member of a different scene. Why would you want to do that? There may be a better solution.
        Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
        Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

one way that may work is run 2 routers. 500 feet is a long ways but it may work. i have ran 2 routers and it dose work but was only 100 feet.
          Iphone 4
          Iphone 5
          Ipad
          Ipod touch
          2 galaxy 3
          2-D link 655
          23 insteon
          2 ezflora
          HUB
          HUB II
          also using Smartlinc
          1E.A2.0F

Comment

The network already exists. I have a pair of Ubiquiti Nanobeam ACs spanning the distance, so the networking part of it is not the issue. The issue is that neither RF or PLC will reach between buildings, so I was wondering if I could use a pair of hubs, one in each building, attached to the same LAN, to do the tying of the two switches together.

Another option would be to run OpenHAB on a computer on the network somewhere to manage the task. I was just hoping to do something a little simpler.

Comment

I have multiple Hubs on the same LAN, strictly as a testing bench, so it can be done. But you haven't responded to my query as to the goal.
              Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
              Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

The best thing to do would be to get two hub pro's and use home kit (ie using one app) then you will see all your devices in both buildings within the one apple home app and you will never notice the difference that you have two separate hubs

Comment

Revitalizing this thread. Can a single account support more than one hub?

I have the same configuration as the OP: two buildings hundreds of feet apart on one LAN, running Ubiquiti nanobeams as a wifi bridge between them. Seamless wifi experience but out of range of both PLC and Insteon signals. A second Insteon hub would be ideal to connect devices in the remote building but have them integrate into a single control application for scenes, triggers, etc.

Comment

• rgunther
                    rgunther commented
                    Editing a comment
                    You can absolutely have two Hub2 devices on the same network and account. Note, however, that the current Android app doesn't support managing multiple homes/hubs. At the moment, you must manage this in iOS.

With ios both hubs can be added to the app but you'd have to switch between accounts. Your devices would still be separated

Comment

Originally posted by lilyoyo1 View Post
                    With ios both hubs can be added to the app but you'd have to switch between accounts. Your devices would still be separated
                    The devices would be separate, but they'd both be associated with the same email address—the same account. I'm operating this way now. One account, two hubs/homes that you can switch between without having to sign in again when switching between them.

Comment

Originally posted by rgunther View Post

The devices would be separate, but they'd both be associated with the same email address—the same account. I'm operating this way now. One account, two hubs/homes that you can switch between without having to sign in again when switching between them.
                      That's what I was implying. The new app would allow for that on both Android and iOS but currently it's iOS only

Comment

Working...
                      X