Schedules Don’t Work After Firmware Update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Schedules Don’t Work After Firmware Update

When my original Insteon hub died earlier this year, I had mixed emotions. On one hand, it has served me fairly well since 2014, but I knew that it was effectively abandoned by Insteon and would never see firmware or feature updates. So when I purchased a Hub 2 as a replacement, I kind of thought of it as an upgrade. Not any more.

Since my hub’s firmware was updated earlier this week, several of my devices have dropped offline and required re-registration, and none of my scheduled events work anymore. I’ve tried deleting and re-adding devices and schedules, but nothing seems to work. I can still turn devices on and off from the iOS app but again, no scheduled events work no matter what I try (direct schedules or scenes). I’ve tried unplugging the hub for a while and re-plugging it in, and I ran the diagnostic check and it passed all 6 steps, so I am at a loss for what to do.

Insteon: why can’t you get the basics right? To add integrations I don’t want or need, you forced a firmware “upgrade” and broke my perfectly stable system. Any help is appreciated, thanks!

The same reason Apple pushes updates to their devices or any other company.

Unfortunately sometimes there are issues during updates. Since your issues started after the update, is the light on your hub still red or green? If it is green, I would unplug the hub for a minute and let it reboot.

Comment

I’ve worked in IT for 20 years, so I know a thing or two about updates. Rule #1: Don’t break current and core functionality to introduce new functionality!

As I noted in my post, I have unplugged and replugged the hub already (actually three times now), and I waited some time between each try. The light is green, but I have confirmed that I’m running the latest firmware.

Comment

Being that you don't see major complaints about something being broken after the update I highly doubt its a widespread issue. If you were in IT for 20 years i'm sure you would already know that. Hell, I have many in the wild without issues after the update so I am confident they didn't push an update that has issues. Unfortunately stuff does go wrong from time to time (and I admit it sucks).

With that said, what are the devices that you are having problems talking to? Where your hub is plugged in at what is also in the general area?

Comment

There were actually a fair number of people having odd issues with the firmware update, though most seem to remedy themselves. We can’t know how widely Insteon has rolled out this update, or if they may have paused it due to issues, but unlike you, I’m not giving Insteon the benefit of the doubt because of their checkered history delivering quality products and support.

Their Windows 8.x updates were legendarily bad, their Windows 10 client still has issues, and their Windows Phone updates were downright cruel to end users, more often broken than not. Considering that Insteon is a proprietary system, they have no excuse for offering 3 different hubs, 2 of which are effectively abandoned at this point (along with a slew of odd compatibility gaps), and the failure rate of their hardware seems quite high. I certainly wouldn’t start over with Insteon at this point, but I have an investment in my system that I plan to use for at least a few more years if I can keep it stable.

The devices that won’t respond to schedules or scenes are in-wall switches and plug-in modules. Location is definitely not the issue as I can still reliably turn items off and on manually. I will call Insteon tomorrow and ten bucks says they’ll ask me to hard reset the hub and set everything up again...

Comment

synth80s: Sorry you're having issues following the hub update. Please private message me with your contact info. I'd like to get some additional information from you. Ideally a phone call if you're available. Let's see if we can track down what's going on with your hub. Thanks
            Insteon Stats
            User since: 2005
            House has: 35 devices (+ 20 or more so for testing)
            Managing with: Hub 2 & Director

Comment

Originally posted by synth80s View Post
              There were actually a fair number of people having odd issues with the firmware update, though most seem to remedy themselves. We can’t know how widely Insteon has rolled out this update, or if they may have paused it due to issues, but unlike you, I’m not giving Insteon the benefit of the doubt because of their checkered history delivering quality products and support.

Their Windows 8.x updates were legendarily bad, their Windows 10 client still has issues, and their Windows Phone updates were downright cruel to end users, more often broken than not. Considering that Insteon is a proprietary system, they have no excuse for offering 3 different hubs, 2 of which are effectively abandoned at this point (along with a slew of odd compatibility gaps), and the failure rate of their hardware seems quite high. I certainly wouldn’t start over with Insteon at this point, but I have an investment in my system that I plan to use for at least a few more years if I can keep it stable.

The devices that won’t respond to schedules or scenes are in-wall switches and plug-in modules. Location is definitely not the issue as I can still reliably turn items off and on manually. I will call Insteon tomorrow and ten bucks says they’ll ask me to hard reset the hub and set everything up again...
              i agree windows could use some work except for Windows phone. Why should they support Windows phone when Microsoft doesn't either? For something that has a very small user base and even smaller insteon base why bother!

The issues that popped up wasn't device issues. They were about the color of the led and beeping while things reconfigured themselves. Very minor especially compared to what you're going through. Even them, it corrected itself. Osteon does need to do a better job of explaining what happens during the update process. That was bad communication on their part, not a bug.

Three hub's. 1 is discontinued as will the hub2 at some point in time. Unfortunately in this day in age, companies need to come out with new products to keep up with user needs. Had they kept with the other hub, Alexa, Sonos, and future integrations would never happen which means they shut down. The fact that they still support it instead of pulling the plug speaks volumes. Unfortunately that's an industry problem and despite my dislike for it, kudos to them. I can think of bigger companies that haven't done the same.

The hub pro is a different beast. I'm sure they would rather use their standard hub. However blame apple for requiring the hardware to require their chip in it. While I don't know their plans for the hub pro, I do know the control apple wants over things that connects to their system and (when it first came out) it would've made zero sense to completely redo what they were doing at the time to work with Homekit.

I've dealt with more automation systems than I can remember. The reason I asked about location is because while you may not change things, the location itself can. Our devices age. Transformers, inverters, bulbs, etc. While they are still good as individual devices, that can still impact how other devices respond. This goes for insteon, zwave, high end systems like Creston and lutron. Sometimes things happen and we blame the device and it turns out it's something else. For example, I was at an old client's house who was having issues with his system (not hub). He thought it was his system after a firmware update as well. Turns out the power supply for an old computer was causing issues. While stuff that happens may be frustrating and questions may seem mundane, whether it's me or others we ask them because we've seen alot. Sometimes it's the smallest things that cause the biggest problems
              Last edited by lilyoyo1; 12-22-2017, 04:19 PM.

Comment

I am having the same issue and then some. I had my 3 devices scheduled individually and they stopped working. I may have gotten them working again using a scene, but it is not consistent. Additionally, one of the units is a wall switch and I cannot operate the light from the switch anymore, only from the app. My hub has a red light on it. All of this is after the recent firmware update. Would greatly appreciate some help in fixing this.

Comment

My HUB won't do it's scene scheduling properly (or at all!!!) since Insteon's firmware update. Breaking what was working properly is NOT the way to winning my ongoing business. Now I have a house-full of Insteon JUNK unless you get this fixed. I only bought this stuff to make my life easier while I'm on the road; not complicate it.

Comment

Same issue - my hub was replaced because it died after a firmware upgrade. I reconnected my devices and can control them remotely. Scenes work manually but scheduling a scene does not. I reset the location after updating the firmware. What other troubleshooting steps can I try? Perhaps try to schedule an individual device?

Comment

I'm using the Insteon app for iPhone, app version is 1.15.4 with App Build 334. iOS Version is 11.4.1.
                      Hub firmware version is 1016

Comment

Yes, the Hub Local Time is accurate. I've set the house location again, just to be sure, saved it. What else? (and thank you!)

Comment

Thanks - I deleted the previous scenes, then power cycled the hub. Created a new scene, which worked manually. Then I set a schedule, to turn on in 10 minutes, then off 15 minutes later. That also worked. So now, I've changed that schedule to have it turn on at sunset, then off at 10:30pm. We'll see if that also works. Thx!

Comment

Looks like it worked for a single device. Next step is to add other devices.... Thanks!

Comment

Customer of mine is having same issue. In addition to that, I've had to change back their time zone from PDT to EDT several times this year.

Comment

Working...
                              X