Insteon, Alexa, Velop = Insteon hub not responding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Insteon, Alexa, Velop = Insteon hub not responding

Years ago I created a scene to turn on certain house lights at sundown. We used a command (Alexa, turn off the night lights) to turn off the lights when we went to bed.

The Insteon hub was connected directly to our Comcast Arris modem/router and worked flawlessly with Alexa. Recently I upgraded our home Wi-Fi network to a Linksys Velop mesh system. I connected the insteon hub to Velop node #1 by wire and connected Alexa to the Velop Wi-Fi mesh network. Things worked well at first then intermittedly Alexa would tell us that the insteon hub was not responding. Eventually the hub no longer responded at all.

I've tried resetting the hub, Alexa, and plugging the hub back into the Arris modem/router directly. Still no joy.

Any suggestions?

Does you modem include a router? Which modem?
    Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
    Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

"The Insteon hub was connected directly to our Comcast Arris modem/router"

Comment

You indicated that you made some changes and then again stated that the Hub was connected to the router. Is the Hub still connected directly to the original router?
        Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.

Comment

Yes, the hub was originally connected to the Comcast Arris modem/router.

The Velop Installation required node #1 to also be connected to the Comcast Arris modem/router. I have tried connecting the hub directly to the Comcast Arris router/modem and then to the Velop node #1 with no success. These connections are wire connections..

As I understand, Velop uses a dedicated channel to interconnect all the hubs and each hub provides Wi-Fi to all the devices.

Alexa has a Wi-Fi connection to the same network through node #3. All of the insteon devices appear in the Alexa app.

I can control all of my insteon devices with the app but not with Alexa. My "night lights" scene still turns the lights on at sundown but I have to turn them off with the app.

Comment

The Insteon Hub was designed to be hard wired to a router-only. The Insteon Hub does not use WiFi at all. Any control between a WiFi device, such as a smartphone and the Hub, is via a WiFi router that the Hub is wired to. Any other connection may work, but there's no guarantee that it will.

Comment

I've tried hard wiring the hub directly to the Arris router/modem but still no response using Alexa.

The insteon app works with the hub connected to Arris or to Velop node#1 but no Alexa control either way.

Comment

Were you ever able to get Alexa to work through the Velop Mesh network? Just ordered a Velop system and I’m guessing I’m going to have the same issue. I have connection issues as it is with my hub plugged into my existing modem/router which require regular resets of the hub. Wasn’t sure if it was a WiFi issue with my Echo or the hub itself. Please let me know if you found a fix. Thanks.

Comment

Against my better judgement, I threw caution to the wind... and also bought a Velop network. When I copied the settings from my old router, of course my Insteon Hub went offline and became unusable. Apparently sometimes.... less is more.

HERE IS THE FIX:

I removed the "port forwarding" portion from the Velop. (although I did leave a reserved DHCP address for the hub)... then the green light on my Insteon Hub came back on. But the catch is... to use it with ALEXA, you have to go into the Alexa App and force it to RUN DISCOVERY! If you just ask her to run discovery, she just says there are no new devices. So just use the APP. That's it. Works like a charm now. Hope this helps someone.

Comment

Working...
                  X