Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Amazon Echo/Alexa integration in Canada

Hi,

The Amazon Echo is now available in Canada. I have a whole Insteon setup at my condo with switches and sensors, which I want to control using Echo/Alexa. However, the Insteon skill does not seem to even be available in Canada. I get: "You are not eligible to enable this skill due to geographical restrictions". That is really strange. Why would that be? Can that be changed?

Thanks!

You'll need to contact Amazon for that. It's not under control by Insteon at all.
    Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
    Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

Thanks. How does one contact Amazon? Any specific email address?

Comment

Okay, I sent them an email through the Store... We'll see....

Comment

Here is Amazon's answer below. I hope it can help someone else. In any case, if you are in the same boat as me, write to Amazon to add some pressure, it can't hurt.

"Hello Paul,

I'm Sam from Alexa Support team and I hope you are doing good.

I understand that you'd like to have Insteon skill. Definitely this option would be a great help to most of the customers if available. It's unfortunate that this feature isn't included as of now.

I apologies if this have caused you any inconvenience or disappointment.

However, since this option would make most of the Alexa user experience more convenient and to ensure that your feedback is approached to our technical team, I've forwarded your comments to our Alexa development team for review and consideration.

I'm sure that they'll carefully look into your comments and suggestions are implement this feature to the earliest. We'll notify you through website once this feature is available.

For the meantime, I request you to please extend your patience and understanding while we work on this.

Thanks for your interest Alexa and thank you for being a valuable customer.

We look forward to hear from you again soon.

Best regards,
          Sam
          "

Comment

Absolutely no offense meant, but clearly the message is from someone with limited English skills.

This, too. There's something other than language that inhibits propagating the Amazon Echo throughout the world-politics, for example
            Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.

Comment

I have to also post reply, as I purchased the Alexa directly on release date December 5. I submitted a inquiry to Amazon within days and did not get any feedback or confirmation on an ETA for insteon to be included in skills. We are now at December 20, and the home automation skills in Amazon Canada has grown into 40+ apps however insteon is nowhere to be found. I realize that Amazon is in primary control of what skills are included, however Insteon must have influence, as they are a huge home automation company. If I do not have a confirmed ETA for the Insteon on skill on Amazon Alexa Canada devices in the short term I will have no choice but to return the device.

Comment

Apple is a large company too, but the don't have an Alexa app. But, Insteon has an Echo account for for Apple's HomeKit. BMW has an Alexa app. Chevrolet is a bigger company, but they don't.

I agree that Amazon should have a larger international base, but they don't. The onus lies with Amazon, not Insteon.

BTW, this is a user-to-user forum, so your concern may never reach Insteon Labs. You may want to address your concern there--and to Amazon.

Comment

Insteon may need to have some skin in the game, the skill may need to come from Insteon in order for Amazon to include it. Not sure what the challenge would
                  be for Canadian English Language (not sure we even have a distinct language as the accents swing wildly from coast to coast)

Alexa is great, be better with Insteon support.

Comment

Insteon is now natively supported in google home !!

Also, I have Echo Dots in Canada and added the Insteon skill without issues...

Comment

With alexa.amazon.ca, the Insteon skill is still not available. I was able to use it with a US based account on alexa.insteon.com, but that's a real PITA. But once added, the skill works very well with my installed devices.

PS. I also tried with the App instead of the Website and it's the same thing; still not available in Canada.
                      Last edited by Madelinot; 01-04-2018, 01:42 PM.

Comment

I purchased a new insteon hub upgrading from a 2242 222 for the purpose of using Alexa with the insteon which I was told the were compatible from insteon before I purchased
                        Now that I am in the process of installing and set up insteon tells me that alexa is not compatible in Canada at this time and do not have any eta when or if it will be
                        might send it back and choose a device that is compatible will take a day or two consider my options

Comment

In the same boat...

Comment

I disagree with Insteons attempt to deflect this to Amazon. According to this article, this is the responsibility of the skill publisher: https://developer.amazon.com/blogs/a...lls-for-canada

Comment

^^^^ Of course it is. It does take Amazon a few days (or maybe a week) to approve a skill once it is developed and tested, but not months ....

Comment

Working...
                              X