No announcement yet.

2242-222 shutting down

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, add another to the C7 fixed column.

My 2242 unit suddenly died after about 10 years of ownership. No led light on the front panel at all. I was worried when I saw only the 2245 units and their pretty bad reliability reviews. I also had little interest in re-connecting all the Insteon devices. I almost purchased a new 2242 unit for $70 from eBay. Then I did a quick search and found this thread. I purchased the 47uF/50V capacitors on Amazon for $8 (pack of 50, lol). When they arrived, it took me 15 min to make the swap. The hardest part was getting the original capacitor unsoldered. I crossed my fingers and plugged in the unit. Red light, then blue light. I think that’s normal. Opened the app and all my Insteon devices are still there, humming along. Thank you to everyone participating in this thread. It was very helpful.

I have to give Insteon some credit. This unit has functioned without fail (until now) for 10 years. The hub never needs to be restarted. It just works. To be fair, I had this in a closet cabinet drawer with a fairly warm modem the last couple years. That was probably a bad call on my part. I would pay a decent amount of money for a new unit from eBay if that was the only option, but this saved me a ton of time reconnecting all the devices.

Comment

Originally posted by Piaband View Post
      Well, add another to the C7 fixed column.

My 2242 unit suddenly died after about 10 years of ownership. No led light on the front panel at all. I was worried when I saw only the 2245 units and their pretty bad reliability reviews. I also had little interest in re-connecting all the Insteon devices. I almost purchased a new 2242 unit for $70 from eBay. Then I did a quick search and found this thread. I purchased the 47uF/50V capacitors on Amazon for $8 (pack of 50, lol). When they arrived, it took me 15 min to make the swap. The hardest part was getting the original capacitor unsoldered. I crossed my fingers and plugged in the unit. Red light, then blue light. I think that’s normal. Opened the app and all my Insteon devices are still there, humming along. Thank you to everyone participating in this thread. It was very helpful.

I have to give Insteon some credit. This unit has functioned without fail (until now) for 10 years. The hub never needs to be restarted. It just works. To be fair, I had this in a closet cabinet drawer with a fairly warm modem the last couple years. That was probably a bad call on my part. I would pay a decent amount of money for a new unit from eBay if that was the only option, but this saved me a ton of time reconnecting all the devices.
      Having the same issue now with my hub, thinking its also capacitors. Can you share a link to which you bought, or should i just search for 47uF/50V capacitors ? and did you have to replace C7 and C13 ? Im not great with soldering so hoping I can do this...

TIA

IMG_ED14F83133DB-1.jpeg

Comment

My third 2245-222 hub died a few days ago after close to 2 years. I want to replace the faulty capacitor, but my hub revision is 3.4 - 2519. I red the posts dealing with previous version using a 47uF 50V capacitor. Therefore, I'm wandering which capacitor type I should used to do the repair. It looks like the capacitor on my board is a 100 uF 35V. not 47uF. Does that mean to use a 100 uF 50V?
        Thanks for the help!

Comment

If the HUB has capacitor problem like we have in the 2413S PLM.
          Smartlabs did change some capacitor values hoping for it to last longer.
          I would use the value you found in the unit.
          Make sure it is a quality capacitor. Made to be used in a switching power supply. Like low ESR and 105 degree temperature rating. Not a general purpose capacitor.
          The photo looks like a switching power supply. I would change both C7 and C13 myself.

Comment

I replaced all three 47uF/50V capacitors but not light. Not sure what else to do. The hubs are sold out but more importantly, I’m annoyed that we can’t save the settings. I have over 50 products and now I have to reprogram all of it. What kind of half baked solution is this. Huge regrets.

Comment

Working...
            X