No announcement yet.

Insteon devices are not working with Amazon Alexa Smart Room feature

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I got it working on the same account in four rooms. What, specifically, did you so that didn't work? You need to create a smartphone Alexa app and specify which Echo device should respond. There are a few other requirements The computer Alexa app won't work nor will a smartphone routine, neither of which allow selecting the Echo device(s).
    Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
    Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

I created a smart home group on the Alexa app with the an echo dot called “bedroom” I than added the Insteon lights that I have in the bedroom to the group. These are called “bedroom fan light”, and “nightstand”.

But when I asked the “bedroom” echo to turn on the lights. It says “I couldn’t find lights”.

Any thoughts?

Thanks for the help!

Comment

You need to call the group "light." None of the devices nor scenes can have the word, "light" in its name. If you don't have another Echo device within earshot or are willing to use a different wake word (from the four that are available), then there's an easier way.
        Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
        Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

Originally posted by stusviews View Post
          You need to call the group "light." None of the devices nor scenes can have the word, "light" in its name. If you don't have another Echo device within earshot or are willing to use a different wake word (from the four that are available), then there's an easier way.
          I've been messing with this for a few days and have a few Philips Hue bulbs as a control group (the Hue lights work fine). The only real difference I can find is that Alexa categorizes the Hue lights as "Lights" (go to the device and tap edit to see the type) and all of the Insteon devices I checked (switches, dimmers, and scenes) are categorized as "Other". My guess is because Alexa doesn't know what the devices are, it can't treat them like lights. Also and unfortunately, the type is not user configurable. This is something Insteon needs to fix. After all, it works with Hue and it would be great if it worked with Insteon.
          Proud tinkerer with Insteon Hub, Switches, Dimmers, Fanlincs, etc. Plus some Amazon Echos to make things more fun!
          I blog about smart home stuff too!

Comment

It works now! Amazon updated the Alexa app and now allows you to change your Insteon device type to "Light". By doing so, you can now set up a room so that you can just say "Alexa, lights on" and the lights turn on. If you want a few more details, I blogged about it here.
            Proud tinkerer with Insteon Hub, Switches, Dimmers, Fanlincs, etc. Plus some Amazon Echos to make things more fun!
            I blog about smart home stuff too!

Comment

Working...
            X