No announcement yet.

Alexa Integration Issues?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is still happening at least every other day with various echo's and dots across multiple insteon devices.

My family is demanding that I 'get rid of this stupid home automation' (direct quote) and it's at the point now where I don't blame them.

Comment

Happens to me pretty regularly. Usually if I rediscover devices by trying to add a new device, I can get it to work but not today.

Comment

Down hard right now. 4/28/18 at 10:55pm et. Down for hours. Device discovery not working.

Comment

This problem has been going on for months on end. Insteon and Alexa are NOT friends putting it simply??? I have got to rediscover all my devices at least once every two or three days. I am like the guy posting above that has family that is fedup and wants me to throw insteon in the garbage. It is embarrasing when friends or family come over and you ask alexa to do something simple like turn on the kitchen lights and she says something like "the insteon hub blah blah blah" or the lights actually turn on and she still says "the device blah blah blah" !!!!
          I couldn't imagine if someone was blind or handicapped in some way shape or form and relying on this technology and it "fails" them WOW! Im not a genious but through my research on the net and reading forums and what people say I have found that this seems to be a server issue between amazon and insteon plain and simple?
          I have friends with different and cheaper home automation systems they buy at bestbuy etc (by the way insteon is NO longer available at bestbuy?????) that run flawlessly with alexa. Insteon does not! Good bye insteon hello cheaper and better stuff! Reliability is WHAT Im looking for.
          Last edited by mikil123; 04-28-2018, 08:19 PM.

Comment

I’ve been slowly switching over to TP-Link Kasa products, and so far, so good. No outages yet, and a much faster response time than Insteon. If Insteon can’t get their act together (which so far, they can’t). I’ll be dropping Insteon completely

Comment

Still down. Over 15 hours. No word from Insteon. Unacceptable.

Comment

FWIW - I had to power cycle my hub, twice, the re-run device discovery, then it worked. Or Insteon just fixed it and it was a coincidence. It should not be this hard though.

Comment

Down for 2 days now. I rebooted the Insteon hub and didn't help. I rebooted Alexa and didn't help. I removed the skill and re-added it, didnt help.

Finally, I went into Alexa and tried to add a device, forcing a rediscovery. That worked, so now I can turn off my lights again.

By the way, even though Alexa couldn't control my Insteon devices, I could go to the Insteon app and control them from there. So it's not actually Insteon, but the communication or integration between Insteon and Alexa.

Comment

We apologize for those experiencing issues and appreciate your patience while we look into this further. Please note that we had an unplanned outage late last week which lasted a few hours but was resolved. For those that continue to experience the issue, please power cycle your hub, wait a few minutes and then when the hub's LED turns green, re-run discovery either via Alexa voice command or the Alexa app. If that does not resolve the issue, please email support@insteon.com and be sure to include your Hub's Insteon ID located on the bottom of the unit (xx:xx:xx) and the email associated with the account. Please include any details about the errors and whether or not commands to control devices execute or not. Thank you again for your patience.
                    Insteon Stats
                    User since: 2005
                    House has: 35 devices (+ 20 or more so for testing)
                    Managing with: Hub 2 & Director

Comment

Please wait for sometime. I think the insteon server is time out because of too many requests.

Comment

I fixed this problem. I struggled with this problem for nearly a year. The hub worked sometimes, sometimes not. Super frustrating. Finally I thought I would try replace the short Ethernet cable that came with the hub with a different one I had lying around from something else. It's been at least a year since I've done that and I have not once had the problem again. It works perfectly now every single time.

Comment

That's interesting about changing the Ethernet cable. I hadn't considered that something so simple could fix it. I went ahead and changed mine as well. It hasn't malfunctioned since doing so, other than occasionally misunderstanding my commands, but that's a separate issue. It's only been a few days since I swapped the cable, so I could just be lucky. Usually I'll get the "Insteon not responding" message a few times a day, which I haven't heard since. It could just be the "placebo effect", so I'll have to give it some more time to be sure. Thanks for the idea.

Comment

It has been over a year since I started this thread, and the problem remains, intermittently. I’ve been more than patient but Insteon can’t seem to make this work. Extremely disappointing. I’ll stay with the devices I have until they die out, but I am switching to TP-Link Kasa products, and have already replaced all my lights and critical modules with Kasa equivalents.

Comment

I have all the lights working but the garage door is not working? is Insteon garage door doesn't work with Alexa?

Comment

My Hub died and Smarthome replaced it for free but I had to reinstall all my devices and now I can't get Alexa to see most of my Insteon devices. This seems like a very kludgy system. I am not sure if the Hub is at fault or Alexa. Just spent an hour trying to get Alexa to turn on and off my bedroom light. SO much for convenience and time saving aspects of this ...frankly..crap! My old X10 was way easier to get up and running!

Comment

Working...
                                X