This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Insteon Hub not powering on

I have an Insteon hub (2245-222) that I have been using for about 6 months with few problems. It was controlling about 5 devices in my house.

However, yesterday it stopped working or giving any sign of life... the status LED on the top front edge is completely dark; not red, green, or blinking... just dark.

I checked the power, and the cord is plugged into a good outlet and a voltmeter test showed that power is getting to the Hub. I unplugged the Hub, waited, plugged back in, used the reset button, and waited for any sign of life... nothing. It is plugged directly into my router, and all my other devices have good connectivity between each other, the Internet, etc. I have switched the Ethernet cable to different ports on the back of the router, with no better results. This problem is only affecting the Insteon Hub.

Does the absence of any life in the status LED mean it's bricked? What else can I try? I have verified it's getting power...

UPDATE MESSAGE FROM INSTEON:
    If you've come here because your Insteon Hub (2245-222) is unresponsive/dead, we now offer a service to migrate your hub account and device links to a new hub, even if you are out of the 2 year warranty period. Email with your hub account info to hubfix@insteon.com and ask for a hub migration. For more information visit this page: https://www.insteon.com/support-know...ew-insteon-hub.
    =========================================

Futuremoose
    Last edited by Isaac; 02-04-2019, 09:23 AM.

Did you try unplugging and replugging the power cable at the Hub end? If nothing helps, then there's still the warranty
    Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
    Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

Yes, I tried that... first thing. Did not help. My next adventure; Warranty-Land.

Comment

Had the same problem with my hub a few days ago. Not responding and no light on the hub. Many have experienced a problem in the power supply section on the board. Several people posted in the beta test forum that they had the same problem. They replaced C7, a 47uf 50v capacitor and that fixed their problem. I decided to give it a try and that turned out to be the same problem I had with my hub. I replaced C7 with a new capacitor I ordered from Digikey and that fixed it. Some suggested that Insteon is using a 100uf in parallel with a 10uf SMD both 50v in the position of C7. I hope this helps someone since it helped me.

Comment

My Hub (2245-222 HUB II) died last week (3 years in service). I was able to fix it by replacing C7, a 47uF 50V capacitor as well. The offending cap was made by HYEC and was only measuring 2.5uF with a high ESR. The other caps in the switching regulator circuit appeared to be OK.

Comment

I just had this problem...no light on hub...totally dead. Picked up the capacitor at my local electronics shop, and fixed it per these instructions in like 15-20 minutes.

Comment

I have also had this issue recently and plan on fixing it at some point in the future but as of right now I am just going to switch over to a spare unit I have until I feel like breaking out the soldering iron again. My question is the guidelines for switching mention deleting all the devices before moving to a new hub to prevent degraded network performance. Obviously that's not an issue so would resetting the individual devices do the same?

Comment

Can someone provide ore detailed instructions for this replacement?

Comment

Replacing the C7 capacitor fixed my dead hub. For good measure, I went ahead and replaced the C4 capacitor too, since it is mentioned in another thread. The offending C7 capacitor is a HYEC as mentioned earlier.
                  Link to other thread below... C4 is circled in red. C7 is the one next to the transformer. Values: C7 - 47uF 50V , C4 - .0022uf 450 volt +-5% (2.2nf)
                  My hub died after 2 years and 2 months - made it 2 months past warranty. Thanks to all who contributed to this fix!
                  My first Insteon hub 2245-222 died after 2 years last night. After seeing the ridiculous 2 day shipping prices from Smarthome, I ordered one from Amazon. I smelled
                  Last edited by Syber7; 11-15-2017, 10:51 AM.

Comment

I currently now have a dead hub, also.could you give me part numbers and where you purchased the capacitors ? I can not find anything on a web search for those 2.thanks

Comment

Replaced some caps on one of these for a friend. C7 was measuring about 1/2 of what it was supposed to be - but C47 was way out as well - measured at about 20uF instead of 220. I replaced all of the electrolytic caps on the device just to be safe

Comment

rajung - not sure where you're located - but I ordered mine from DigiKey - their US shipping is pretty cheap especially for small orders.

Comment

Hub 2245-222 died today after 2 years and 2 weeks of running smoothly. C4 capacitor is burned out. Does anyone know the part # for C4 - .0022uf 450 volt +-5% (2.2nf) and link i can order online? Thanks

Comment

I ordered a bag of these from AliExpress a couple of weeks ago, and they should arrive soon. I only need a few of the 50. Send me a stamped addressed envelope and I send you a few. PM me for details.

Comment

Hi All - I just hit the same problem. mwolczko: I might take you up on your offer though I'm contacting their support first as I'd have to tune up my soldering skills

Comment

Working...
                              X