Sunrise and Sunset times are incorrect after DST for Eastern Standard Time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sunrise and Sunset times are incorrect after DST for Eastern Standard Time

Since switching to DST this past week, the sunrise and sunset times are significantly wrong by 30 mins for sunrise and sunset triggers. I'm in EST. Checking the Insteon app for 3/20/2017, it says sunset is 8:00 PM and https://www.timeanddate.com/sun/usa/reston shows it as 7:21 PM. It's over a half an hour incorrect, so the house is completely dark before the sunset trigger initiates.

The same issue occurs for sunrise: For March 30 the Insteon app says 7:49 am and the website above shows 7:12 AM. It's a half an hour off in the wrong direction.

Using my power of deduction (by looking outside) I'd say the Insteon controller is wrong for sunrise and sunset time stamps.

Please fix!

Are these forums monitored by Insteon?

Comment

I have the exact same problem. Contacted Insteon support and received an email informing me that it was a problem on their end and that the developers were looking into it, that was on March 16th, still no word if it's being fixed or not. Doesn't seem to be any way to adjust Dusk/Dawn time with app.

Comment

Originally posted by Memelkon View Post
        Are these forums monitored by Insteon?
        This is primarily a user-to-user forum, but every so often an Insteon employee will check in and reply.
        Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
        Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

I contacted Insteon with the issue and will update the post if their response helps the group.

Comment

Although not a solution the the times being incorrect, the usual procedure is to use one scene for both on and off, unless different devices have different off times.

A possible solution to the time error is to select a different time zone first, save the new zone, and then select the correct time zone.
            Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
            Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

Has anyone heard if there's a fix for the sunrise/sunset error?

Comment

Ever since I had tried to change the setting to DST the scene does not work at all. Not simply that is comes on off set by an hour or so from my GEO location, but that it never turns the scene of three lights on at all. I did also try the two separate scenes one to turn on and one to turn off, still nothing. Clearly a software bug in the Insteon HUB OS or the Insteon code. This should not be that hard to fix. Microsoft and Redhat have seen DST offset bugs and fix them on time or ahead of time. What gives here? Am I right folks?

Comment

TheReg, you are correct Sunset on the app shows 9:01 EST for today. Sunset is 7:58 so we are off an hour and 3 minutes here. Scene does not work at all! I am hoping they fix this.

I've opened a support case on this regardless.
                  Last edited by Kibbs; 04-13-2017, 05:44 PM.

Comment

Another of the same DST sunset issue here. Hoping for a fix soon! Been a user for 7 years, and have around 100 devices.

Comment

Very disappointing that it is taking them so long to fix a simple issue.

Comment

So I had the same problem. Simply deleting the scene and recreating it fixed the problem for me. Maybe I'll have to do this twice a year whenever the clock change?

Comment

...and it's still a bug this year!

This kind of bug is ridiculous. Any programmer who has had to deal with date/time issues should know how to prevent these kinds of problems.
                          Last edited by elsbree; 04-13-2018, 08:29 AM. Reason: Added editorial comment

Comment

Hi...in my case I had tried to change the setting to DST the scene does not work at all. Not simply that is comes on off set by an hour or so from my GEO location, but that it never turns the scene of three lights on at all. I did also try the two separate scenes one to turn on and one to turn off, still nothing. Clearly a software bug in the Insteon HUB OS or the Insteon code.

turnkey pcb assembly
                            Last edited by AraldoJanes; 03-29-2022, 03:40 PM.

Comment

After DST was implemented in the United States, sunrise and sunset times have become incorrect. The time now falls on the following schedule:
                              Sunrise: 6 a.m.mapquest driving directions
                              Sunset: 12 p.m.

Comment

Working...
                              X