No announcement yet.

Can't remove switch from scene

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This has been driving me nuts for months, and the fact that it's been an issue for years is disappointing to say the very least. I contacted Insteon support and was again disappointed that they are not aware of the bug in the Android app. The support person used an iPad and was able to delete the device from the scene without an issue, of course.

It’s clearly been an Android Insteon app problem for years now and yet Insteon still has not updated their documentation for their support team so that they can immediately ask “Are you running the app on Android?” and if the answer is "yes," then the reply should be straightforward that, “There is a bug in the Android app that does not properly delete devices from scenes. You will need to use an iOS device until we are able to fix that bug.”

The Android Insteon app appears to delete the device, but it’s actually only deleting it from the hub’s scene record. The device never beeps or reacts to a scene deletion command and continues to respond to scene commands. There is no error in the Android Insteon app. It incorrectly assumes the deletion worked properly.

It’s also a Windows (not Windows Phone, but the desktop version of Windows) Insteon app problem. Deleting a device from a scene in the Windows Insteon app causes the hub to beep, but eventually times out trying to delete the device, showing the message:

Failed to Remove
    Failed to Remove <device name> from <scene name>

With two buttons:
    1. Remove Device (force-removes it from the hub, which only deletes it logically – the device is not really deleted from the scene and continues to respond to scene commands)
    2. Try Again (repeats the process with the same results)

There is no way to exit the delete device action once started. You either click “Try Again” forever or you click Remove Device.

I am looking for a workaround and might even build a tiny little website based on my developer access that will simply allow you to delete devices from scenes! No matter what, I'll post back here when I have a solution (and no, borrowing an iOS device is not a solution!)
    Hub: Hub 2 (39:35:10) | Phones: Samsung Galaxy S7 (Android 8.0) | Insteon devices: 25+

Comment

3 Months Later...

I opened a case with Insteon way back when I posted my last message. They promised to get me into the beta program. The CEO sent out an e-mail notification that there is, in fact, a beta app that's about ready for testing. I contacted the beta team and they confirmed that this would be available for testing... and all this was two months ago. The beta team has gone silent. There's still no workaround other than using an iOS device. Today I resolve to see if I can just "hack" the hub the old fashioned way, with direct, ugly HTML calls.
      Hub: Hub 2 (39:35:10) | Phones: Samsung Galaxy S7 (Android 8.0) | Insteon devices: 25+

Comment

Originally posted by topdog View Post
        I've found a work around work for lighting scenes controlling several devices / lights. I wanted to remove a device from the lighting scene but found I could not delete the device successfully as per above so I just set the device lighting level to 0. The other lights in the scene turn on but the device level set to 0 does not. I can always reactivate it in the future should I desire. NOT the BEST solution but a solution none the less.
        I did as you said and it works perfectly. I just went back and removed all the devices from the scene after setting their level to 0%/OFF and now the scene no longer turns them on but they are also now gone from the scene too. Thanks great work around.

Comment

I just discovered that the Microsoft app in the Microsoft Store (Insteon for Hub) will also work to remove a switch from a scene. I don't have an iOS device, but I do have a laptop with Windows. It worked! So, thanks to you all. In fact, I didn't even have to delete the switch from scene in the Microsoft app. I had already done that on Android, yet as was mentioned here, even though it didn't appear in the scene, activating the scene on Android was still causing the switch to act like it was still part of the scene. Installing Insteon for Hub on Windows and simply logging in with my account somehow loaded everything correctly and properly removed the device from the scene. Going back to the Android version, everything works also. The switch is no longer part of the scene there.

Comment

Having the same stubborn problem - not being able to disconnect one remaining switch from a scene on a 6-button panel switch. I finally solved mine - which may help you - it's embarrassing and simple but my error may help others realize they may be making the same omission.
            After going through every single step listed in all these responses and having the same problem still, I finally found the culprit. I know you will likely dismiss this because I did. The reason my troublesome switch refused to de-link was that I forgot it was a 3-way as well as the master/slave relationship. Forgetting it was a 3-way switch, I kept going to the slave to de-link - and only the master can de-link from the scene. Hope this helps some.

Comment

I wish like heck that the Windows Store app worked, but it's just as broken (if not more) when it comes to deleting devices from scenes. Insteon, why oh why have you forsaken everyone but Apple (iOS) owners?

And yes, I've totally dropped the ball on building a workaround for this. I really should, but on the other hand, shouldn't Insteon?

Comment

Working...
              X