Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can Insteon hub and plug-in modules coexist with Powerline Ethernet products?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can Insteon hub and plug-in modules coexist with Powerline Ethernet products?

Any experience with the subject line matter? I am OK with running the Cat5/6 cable and making a few Ethernet outlets myself, but would not mind reducing the DIY project labor part to buying and installing this device in order to extend my LAN. I am concerned with the Insteon hub / plug-in module interference...

http://www.costco.com/.product.100224291.html

Any comments would be greatly appreciated!

Linksys, Netgear and Trendnet have all been reported as compatible with Insteon. There's no particular reason to not believe that other brands are OK, too.
    Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
    Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

Thanks and understood. More specifically I am concerned about this (what appears to be a) "new" powerline technology:
      • Line-Neutral/Line-Ground 2×2 MIMO with beamforming ensures fast and stable connection
      • HomePlug AV2 standard compliant, high-speed data transfer rate of up to 1200Mbps, ideal for Ultra HD streaming and online gaming

Maybe the other brands have it as well, I do not know.

Comment

HomePlug is a standard that's been around for years. Like Ethernet, newer devices use a faster technology. So do computers. Not to worry--it's not a new protocol.
        Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
        Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

Thanks again. Will give it a shot.

Comment

Originally posted by map View Post
            Thanks and understood. More specifically I am concerned about this (what appears to be a) "new" powerline technology:
            • Line-Neutral/Line-Ground 2×2 MIMO with beamforming ensures fast and stable connection
            • HomePlug AV2 standard compliant, high-speed data transfer rate of up to 1200Mbps, ideal for Ultra HD streaming and online gaming

Maybe the other brands have it as well, I do not know.

My humble suggestion is to deploy as much hardwired Ethernet that you can. Any where else that would take a lot of effort or sweat equity you certainly can use power line Ethernet. I've been using this technology for more than ten years now from OK to fantastic results. The first versions of these devices simply did not pass the mustard due to the method and standards at the time. Later as it evolved it actually became close to par to a wired network.

The down fall is these are electronic devices and they fail. I have replaced every single one since install so that equates to 12 units during the course of the networks lifetime.

Hence why my first comment was to wire as much as you can and never look back. Wiring will never fail unless physically abused or damaged due to human error. The time and effort to deploy a sound infrastructure will pay for itself in the long run. There are no dependencies on having a AC outlet or possible conflicts with other technologies.

The new MIMO technology is extremely fast and over all reliable but it should be noted we have found depending upon the type of GFCI / AFCI in place the use of the ground wire to send the alternate path of data packets has caused nuisance trips.

This isn't a problem for one or two local outlets where you can swap out. But some of the sites used breakers and there were no alternate sources for a different brand to be used. Thus locking the end user to use that brand of GFCI / AFCI breakers. Keeping in mind these breakers are extremely expensive when compared to a local outlet.

I've been using the new MIMO technology for about five months and they are fast! Another aspect is long term energy costs and if that is something you're concerned about. In my environment energy consumption is the primary driver for me so everything I do evolves around this premise.

At 2-5 watts a unit times 12 that is 24 - 60 watts, keeping in mind most of them go to sleep when not in use so that helps. For me using power line Ethernet was part to try it out to see how it faired against standard cables. While the other was simply to buy me some time before I had to deploy the hardwired infrastructure which is now in place.

I only have four of these units in place now and the rest I have shared with friends and family.
            Teken . . .

Comment

I appreciate the insight and your good advice. Thanks!

Comment

Working...
              X