New Hub Pro does not work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Hub Pro does not work

Brand new out of the box and when I try to set it up with my IOS devices I just get the spinning radar thing. I do see the device on my wifi router, I'm on the same network as the device. Please help!!

Step 1. Perform a Factory Reset
    1. Unplug power cord to Hub Pro
    2. Press and Hold Set button (the Recessed Button)
    3. While holding the Set button, plug in power to the Hub will emit a long beep
    4. Let go of Set button when long beep stops
    5. Wait for Hub to double beep
    6. Wait for a second double beep (this sometimes takes up to four minutes to complete)
    7. Power cycle the Hub (Unplug power for 5 seconds, plug in power)

Step 2. Reset Your HomeKit Configuration
    1. Enter "Settings" in your iOS device
    2. Go to "Privacy" -> "HomeKit"
    3. Select "Reset HomeKit Configuration..."
    4. Select "Reset Configuration" at the prompt
    5. Force-close Insteon+ App if open (Double Tap Home Button and Swipe App Up)
    6. Open Insteon+ App
    7. Re-Setup your Home and your Hub Pro should automatically show up in "All Devices"

Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
    Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

Ya, I had to do the RESET out of the box too. You would have thought that was the mode it was in already. WEIRD!

Comment

I received mine a couple days ago and attempted to replace my fully functioning previous version Insteon Hub. While I was able to add the Insteon Hub Pro as a device, I could not add any of my 40 wall switches. I just got the radar dish spinning endlessly. I called support and followed all of their instructions which did not resolve the issue. The support agent told me to press the set button on the back of the hub which was on a lower floor, then go back up a floor to the switch and to press the findable button for every switch.

It would have been a ridiculous solution had it worked as I would have been going up and down the stairs for what could have been an hour. It did not work. He told me that I should delete the switch from my old hub and do a factory reset on the switch, that did not resolve the issue. He then told me I would have to remove every face plate and manually enter every device ID. REALLY? When I asked to speak with a manager, he put me on hold for about 5 minutes then dumped me into someone's voicemail who has yet to call me back.

After that debacle, I followed the Step 1 procedure above and since can no longer add my Hub Pro as a device, I just get some programmers idea of a clever error code of Communication Error: #d'oh! The old hub discovered devices easily, has the new hub really gone that far backwards in usability? Seems that I'm stuck now.

Peter

Comment

How about the idea of making things worse, way to go INSTEON !!! Seems we should all get rid of this headache and go with Smarthings.
          ​No ifttt ,no network discovery ,cloud dependence ,the negative out weighs the positive. INSTEON is turning INSTEOFF.

Comment

Unfortunately, neither the new Hub Pro or the Insteon+ app to control it are ready for prime time. I found this very surprising after using SH Insteon for home automation control for many years now.
            After pre ordering and waiting 4 months for the Hub Pro, this is quite a disappointment.
            What I've found so far:
            There is No Apple Watch app for Insteon +. The only Insteon app with Apple Watch support in the App Store is "Insteon for Hub" which DOES NOT work with the Hub Pro.

The touted Homekit Guest User feature in the Insteon+ app does not work. I set up my wife as a guest user and accepted the Homekit invite on her iPhone. However her phone can not control the Hub Pro. It just isn't recognized.

The insteon + app forgets (as in deletes all devices) from the Scenes I have defined.
            Scenes set up in Insteon+ on my iPad do not propagate to my iPhone although devices, rooms and zones do.
            From the app, device controls that work if controlling a device don't work when controlling a room or zone containing that device. Same for scene control.

I was once the Chief Quality Officer for a Fortune 500 company. I suspect that if Smarthome management doesn't get on top of this problem very very quickly they are in for a major financial hit as word of this debacle spreads. Currently, this product is a mess.

Comment

Originally posted by kamewally View Post
              Unfortunately, neither the new Hub Pro or the Insteon+ app to control it are ready for prime time. I found this very surprising after using SH Insteon for home automation control for many years now.
              After pre ordering and waiting 4 months for the Hub Pro, this is quite a disappointment.
              What I've found so far:
              There is No Apple Watch app for Insteon +. The only Insteon app with Apple Watch support in the App Store is "Insteon for Hub" which DOES NOT work with the Hub Pro.

The touted Homekit Guest User feature in the Insteon+ app does not work. I set up my wife as a guest user and accepted the Homekit invite on her iPhone. However her phone can not control the Hub Pro. It just isn't recognized.

The insteon + app forgets (as in deletes all devices) from the Scenes I have defined.
              Scenes set up in Insteon+ on my iPad do not propagate to my iPhone although devices, rooms and zones do.
              From the app, device controls that work if controlling a device don't work when controlling a room or zone containing that device. Same for scene control.

I was once the Chief Quality Officer for a Fortune 500 company. I suspect that if Smarthome management doesn't get on top of this problem very very quickly they are in for a major financial hit as word of this debacle spreads. Currently, this product is a mess.
              As simple as this Insteon Hub+ is supposed to be, I have tried to ADD a device and register my hub and my iPhone never prompts and asks to setup the discovered hub. SH sent me a new device after troubleshooting somethings, but this is doing the same exact thing. I have no idea what could be wrong. I have reset my HomeKit settings, I have reset my Hub. Never get a prompt to ask to setup the Hub. SUCKS!

Comment

I've had the same experience as all of you with my Hub Pro and Insteon+ app. It just doesn't work as the (meager) directions specify. Tech support was not much help. I scrapped the hub (not)pro and am running Indigo now.

Comment

After playing around with my Hub Pro for six months, it's now working more or less properly. I discovered that only Insteon switches running firmware newer than version 30 work consistently. You can see the firmware version on a sticker that came on the switch, or using Indigo (outstanding application I've been using for years). Also, even though I had an Apple TV (version 3) logged into my Apple ID iCloud account for HomeKit consistency, it never seemed to help for remote access. Once I upgraded to the new Apple TV (version 4), it actually gave me remote access for a couple of days, before it failed again. A round of discussions with the Insteon folks eventually suggested I log out of iCloud on my new Apple TV for at least an hour, then back in. A day or so later when I was out and about, I decided to check the Insteon+ app and discovered my app icons were no longer grayed out, but they were a mix of orange and green. I had heard of this orange colored icons thing a few months ago, but no one knew what it meant. Anyway, I decided to try turning off a kitchen light in the app, and it changed state without complaint. So, I activated my DropCam Pro remote camera app to see if anything had changed in my kitchen and discovered that the light I'd turned off was in fact off. So, I switched it back on. Its orange state changed to green, and my remote camera confirmed it turned back on. I then tried using Siri to remotely turn the light back off. Siri reported that it couldn't complete the request, but when I checked the remote camera again, it again had turned off successfully. So, Siri's remote control was also working, even though its confirmation message wasn't successful.

So, clearly, the orange icons represent active cellular connected switches, and green means it thinks those switches are on. So, for me at least, my Insteon Hub Pro (HomeKit enabled) is now working properly, both locally and remotely. There continue to be issues with Siri's confirmation responses, but the Siri commands appear to be getting through to the Hub Pro in my home WiFi network, which is great. Additionally, with the upgrade to watchOS 2 on my Apple Watch, I can now send commands verbally to my Hub Pro using Siri, which is also great.

Insteon offered to swap out my Hub Pro when nothing seemed to resolve the remote access for months, but I waited because I wasn't convinced it was a hardware issue. It is also very tedious reentering all my newer (version 30 firmware or newer) Insteon switches into the app every time I had to reset HomeKit, for any reason. Now that everything seems to be working as advertised, albeit still with software glitches, I'm glad I did.

As I said, a few recurring software glitches do continue. The most frequent one is that when I send a Siri command from my Watch now, the Hub Pro has to be in the correct switch status for it to work. That is, if the switch is off and the Hub Pro thinks it's on, it won't resend the "on" command. It forces me to send a Siri "turn switch off" command to the Hub Pro, then repeat my "turn on" command. This can happen when you manually turn a switch on/off, or when another app, such as Indigo, has sent a command to the switch. The Insteon+ app doesn't seem to poll the switches periodically to check their state. It just remembers its last state.

Another glitch occurs when I return home, and the app may take up to ten minutes to realize it's back on my home WiFi before Siri starts responding properly to my Watch commands. However, using the Insteon+ app manually does work, as does using the new Home app ($15 in App Store), that allows me to consolidate multiple HomeKit enabled devices for controlling with one app. This new Home app has a Watch extension, so I can also now manually, and silently, send on/off commands to the Hub Pro directly from my Watch, which is also very cool.

So, for now, after six months of fiddling around, I can both locally and remotely send Siri commands to my Insteon Hub Pro devices running firmware newer than version 30. I can also send manual commands both remotely and locally using the Insteon+ app. And finally, I can now send Siri commands to the Hub Pro using my Apple Watch with the recent watchOS 2.0 update. Adding the new Home app to my iPhone 6 also allows me to use that app to consolidate all my HomeKit devices (e.g., Insteon Hub Pro, Philips Hue Hub, etc.) and use that app to control all my HomeKit hardware, rather than the manufacturer's individual apps, with the added benefit that the iPhone Home app Watch app now allows me to manually control my Insteon switches from my wrist silently.

Finally, I don't have the new Philips Hue Hub (HomeKit enabled) yet, so I can't confirm how well the new Home app works with it. I do have the older Hue Hub and its Watch app installed on my Watch, however, and it works fine turning Hue scenes on, and its lights off. And I also have some custom scenes set up in the new Home app, and enable them nightly using Siri on my Watch. I end each evening telling Siri to set my Good Night! scene, and the Home app sends the commands to my Insteon Hub Pro to turn everything off. Very cool.

Comment

Just a short update. Tonight Insteon released a firmware update to their Hub Pro (HomeKit enabled). After I installed it, I took a walk down the block to see how the Insteon+ app responded when I got out of WiFi range of my house. I wanted my iPhone to go through the WiFi to cellular transition and back when I returned, and to test how well Remote Access worked over my LTE cellular connection. It continued to work normally, but the device icons no longer switch to orange. They remained their normal gray, with on switches green, just as when at home on my WiFi LAN. The responsiveness of the Hub Pro seemed a bit more sluggish to change the state of my switches when on WiFi when I manually used the Insteon+ app, but that's a purely subjective assessment. I'll be testing a lot more over the coming days, just to be sure tonight's reaction time wasn't merely some signal strength issue on my LAN tonight.

Comment

Hmm. While I was out and about today I tried remotely turning some lights on/off at home, and it worked well, both using Siri and manually using the Insteon+ app. However, while the app's Insteon device icons were their normal gray or green ("on" state) at my first stop, at my second stop they had reverted to orange or green, as before last night's Hub Pro firmware update. Remote access still worked, whew! But, I'm now wondering what the orange colored icons mean, again. Anyway, just thought I'd let people know.

Comment

Well, my worst fears were just realized. After nearly a month of great Hub Pro use, both locally and remotely, using both my iPhone 6 and my new Apple Watch to control my Insteon devices, my Hub Pro just died last night. I was getting ready for bed and used Siri on my watch to set my Good Night scene, which just turns everything off. Unfortunately, nothing happened. I then tried to execute the scene manually on my iPhone, but again nothing happened. I then opened my Insteon+ app on my iPhone and attempted to manually turn off the devices one at a time, with no success.

The Hub Pro's LED was still bright blue, but the hub was not responding to any commands. So, I tried a power cycle (pulled the plug for 15 seconds) and rebooted the hub. This has worked for minor glitches in the past, but not this time. I then tried a second power cycle, and this time after the reboot not only wasn't it responding to any commands, it deleted all my devices from HomeKit. That was it for me, and I went to bed.

This morning I decided to try reentering the deleted devices, without success. So, I did a factory reset for the box, reset HomeKit in the iPhone's Settings, and tried to start over from scratch. But, the Insteon+ app refused to let me add the Hub Pro, returning an error of "Hub Pro BRIDGE LINK DOWN." I had no idea what this meant, but whatever it was it wouldn't let me proceed with the setup, so I called Insteon tech support.

Surprisingly enough, I got a polite tech online in just a couple of minutes, and we proceeded redoing everything I had already tried, to no avail. At the end of that process, the rep agreed to replace the unit. He said they'd email me an RMA and shipping label in a couple of business days to return my unit, after which they'd then ship me the replacement. I asked if I could expedite the process with my credit card, which they did, basically selling me a new unit and agreeing to credit my card once they got the defective unit back.

I received an email this evening stating my replacement unit had shipped and I should get it tomorrow. That's the good part, I guess. It took me months of tweaking with the Insteon+ app and the occasional Hub Pro firmware updates to get the unit working per its promises. As I said, it was working great for nearly a month, and it was a great disappointment for it to fail last night. Now I'm very anxiously looking forward to setting it up tomorrow, depending on when it arrives, wondering if the dreaded Add Device screen will actually see the Hub Pro when I try to add it. I recall all too well how many false starts I had to go through setting it up originally. And now, with months of HomeKit database usage that the last hub destroyed, and which hopefully the Reset HomeKit command in iPhone Settings cleared out today, I won't get the dreaded Duplicate Name this or that errors that cropped up setting up the defective hub.

In other words, I hope the six months of software, firmware, and potential silent hardware adjustments will make tomorrow's setup process a non-event of boring data entry, and not the start of another frustrating journey along the road to home automation nirvana. I'd just like to get more than three weeks of joy using my new technology before it fails. Fingers crossed.

Comment

I received my replacement Hub Pro this weekend (hardware version 2.7) and rebuilt my HomeKit database from scratch in the Insteon+ app. The new Hub Pro was recognized by the Insteon+ app immediately, and reentering my switches was tedious, but without incident. Everything is working properly again.

Even my Apple Watch is sending commands to the new Hub Pro, as well as it was before the previous hub failed, which is to say pretty well. The Insteon+ app doesn't poll the status of the Insteon switches, instead assuming it was the only device that could have changed its state. So, if I send a Siri command from this app's HomeKit access, it responds correctly and turns the switch on/off, as appropriate. However, if I manually turned the switch on, or used another app to turn the switch on from another HomeKit compatible app (e.g., Home or Hue apps for the iPhone), the Insteon+ app won't know about that, and may do nothing. That is, if Insteon+ thinks the switch is ON, but it was manually turned off, or another HomeKit app turned it off, it won't resend the ON command to the switch until I tell the Insteon+ app to turn the switch OFF first. So, that leads to a lot of ON/OFF/OFF commands, or vice versa, sometimes. I'm sure this issue will get worked out over time. In the meantime, I find it pretty easy to deal with. I just use the Home app on my Apple Watch to flick the switch on/off/on if it doesn't respond immediately, vice invoking Siri, which takes a good bit more time as the command has to get parsed online first.

Remote access is also continuing to work perfectly, so I'm really glad that issue is done. The new Apple TV 4 resolved that issue for me. Remote access never worked with my Apple TV 3s. I added a new outside Eve Weather thermometer this weekend, and reconfigured my Hue lights in HomeKit, as well, and all are now working fine for me. The iPhone Home app works pretty well as an aggregator for people who have the Apple Watch. It sees all HomeKit devices, which is pretty cool.

Comment

Hi Dave,

So what is your impression as of today (Aug 2016)? Has the Homekit Hub Pro continue to work as expected? Any improvement since your last update?

Thanks!

Comment

My Hub Pro has never worked. After trying to add a device, during the initial setup when it sees the Hub and then connects to set it up, it always says it times out and fails. I have done all of the resetting, resetting and using different cables, on the same network checks, resetting HOMEKIT checks. Still, no working. Never has.

Here is what my two hubs show as
                              You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                              This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

• BetaTestCoordinator
                                BetaTestCoordinator commented
                                Editing a comment
                                Your hub is a few versions behind. You may want to start by updating it prior to adding devices. You could also attempt to "tap link" the devices if you continue having timeout issues. Those can be caused by a combination of a number of factors from network hoping, traffic, etc. A good thing to try is to put your iOS device in airplane mode and then enable only the WiFi connection. This way, you can rule out network hoping as an issue.
                            Working...
                            X