Red LED on Hub

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Red LED on Hub

A few days ago, I noticed the led on my hub is red. After looking at the knowledge base, it seems the error is most likely that it can't connect tot the Internet. I can access all my cameras using my phone from outside of my wifi and my home internet works fine on all other PCs, so it doesn't appear to be internet connectivity.

Edit: to add I have no issues with any control or status checking of any device even from outside of my wifi.

I tired the reset steps of pressing the set button three times. It beeps then the instructions say it should then go green then I'm to power it off for 30secs. The led never goes green after waiting after the initial beep. I have tried power cycling it anyways and nothing has changed.

Any ideas or suggestions to find out why it's a red LED instead of the usual green?

Nothing. No network changes at all. I even receive notifications (now that the push server is back up) from the hub. So that seems to imply network connectivity to the outside world works.

Is there anything other than network connectivity that would trigger a red LED?

Comment

Well I tried the network reset on the Hub again (pressing the set button 3 times) and hooray, the LED has gone green again. I guess I'll never know the cause, my guess is Aliens, but super happy I don't have to look at the red LED.

Thanks TFitzpatri8, for your help.

Comment

Ok, I believe I've figured it out. I would like to set a static IP for my hub but the problem is there is no place in the app to enter a DNS server. Only gateway and port. So some link in the hub to test for connectivity to the outside world must rely on needing DNS lookup.

If I set the hub to DHCP, the light returns to Green.

Comment

Originally posted by dranobob View Post
          Ok, I believe I've figured it out. I would like to set a static IP for my hub but the problem is there is no place in the app to enter a DNS server. Only gateway and port. So some link in the hub to test for connectivity to the outside world must rely on needing DNS lookup.

If I set the hub to DHCP, the light returns to Green.
          ​If setting up a static IP address in the application is causing problems with your router, you can leave the DHCP setting on the hub app enabled and set an IP address reservation within your router settings. This would help prevent running into any IP address conflicts that would result in loss of connectivity with the devices in conflict.

Comment

Using router reservations is good idea to set a specific IP address for the hub.

Hopefully the app will be updated to allow for DNS entries though so the static IP option in the app will work.

Comment

My hub is constantly red. I have complete connectivity, Fixed IP address, and the hub seems to be working someone properly if not buggy and unreliable.

Comment

Try a different Ethernet cable.
                Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
                Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

I've having the same kind of problem getting my Insteon Hub online, and having only a solid red LED. I usually use by ISY994i/IR PRO for managing this, but there are some thing more easily done with then native hub.

First, I changed my router a while back, and this problem occurred at about the same time, I think. I installed a Deco mesh network. Almost all the options are disabled, including IPv6. Right now there are no address reservations and no port forwarding. Software is up to date. I have turned off anti-virus, etc.

Second, I’m using an Insteon Hub 2245-222, rev. 1.4-40115. When viewing the hub from the back, the internet port LED lights are as follows: from the rear, solid amber LED on the left, occasionally blinking green LED on the right. At the front, there is a solid red LED. I’ve done both the network reset and the general reset, neither of which seems to improve the situation.

I’ve tried to reach the hub through Safari at http://10.0.1.10:25105, but no luck. I’ve used IP Scanner Pro, and the hub does not show up on that. Neither is it visible on the Deco network app. I’ve also switched out my internet cable.

Any suggestions would be most welcome.

Larry

Comment

Working...
                  X