Is Insteon still a viable product line?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is Insteon still a viable product line?

I have an Insteon 2245-222 hub and a couple lamp dimmers. I only use these devices to turn on a few lights while on vacation.
    The hub died (called in for support and after several types of resets was told it is dead). As it is several years old, I was offered a discount on a new hub. As I am leaving town for a few days soon, I thought I would shop just buying a new hub before jumping on the "discount" price I was offered. What I have found is virtually no Insteon product available. I have checked a variety of retailers, Amazon, BestBuy, E-Bay, etc. No hubs to speak of, and no other products either.
    A little reading online told me this hub is not terribly reliable.
    I am wondering whether I should buy the discounted new hub I was offered, or just scrap Insteon and turn to another brand of product.
    Is Insteon product reliable? Why is product non-existent?

Thanks for your help!

Bill

The same reason why many stores still aren't fully stocked with items and inflation is through the roof. Supply chain issues

Comment

Thank you. This stuff seems worse than most.

Comment

Take this as an opportunity to scrap Insteon. The company has been unstable for many years. Do your research and buyer beware.

Comment

The Insteon 2245-222 hub is known for failing due to a defective capacitor.
          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGLV27yM2z8
          I made this repair to mine, and a year later, it's still working.

Comment

Originally posted by lilyoyo1 View Post
            The same reason why many stores still aren't fully stocked with items and inflation is through the roof. Supply chain issues
            Well, at least Insteon IS an innovator at something. They've been having "supply chain" issues since 2018! Years before the rest of the world! Yaaah!

Comment

Insteon, a company that manufactures smart homes, has lost its management team and shut down its servers. On Thursday, it sent an email to customers to explain.
              dynamons world

Comment

They are back in business.
                As some of the management and employees have started a new company.
                The HUB servers are again in business but require a subscription.
                Some products are again available now and more are scheduled for the future.

Comment

You're considering whether to buy a new Insteon hub or switch to a different brand, as your old hub has died and you're having trouble finding Insteon products available for purchase. You're also wondering about the reliability of Insteon products.

Insteon products have generally been considered reliable, but like any technology, they can fail or become outdated over time. The lack of availability of Insteon products may be due to a variety of factors, such as changes in demand, supply chain disruptions, or manufacturing issues.

If you've had a good experience with Insteon products in the past and the discounted price for a new hub seems reasonable to you, it may be worth sticking with the brand. However, if you're concerned about the reliability of Insteon products or have had other issues with them in the past, it may be worth exploring other options.

Some alternative brands to consider include Lutron, Philips Hue, and Wemo, among others. Researching and comparing different brands and products can help you make an informed decision about which option is best for your needs. My Sanford Chart Login
                  Last edited by Leroytaylor; 03-09-2023, 09:07 PM.

Comment

Take this as an opportunity to scrap Insteon. Thank you. This stuff seems worse than most.

www.myccpay.com

Comment

Insteon is still a viable product line, but its popularity has decreased in recent years due to the increasing competition from other smart home technologies such as Amazon Alexa, Google Home, and Philips Hue. However, Insteon still has a loyal customer base and continues to offer a range of smart home products including lighting, thermostats, cameras, sensors, and more.

One of the strengths of Insteon is its dual-band technology which uses both powerline and wireless communication to provide reliable connectivity and reduce interference. Additionally, Insteon products are known for their compatibility with a wide range of other smart home platforms and devices, which can be a significant advantage if you have a mixed smart home environment.

Overall, if you are looking for a reliable and flexible smart home technology that is compatible with a range of other devices, Insteon can still be a great choice. However, you may want to compare it with other smart home technologies to determine which one best fits your needs and budget.
                      Last edited by INSTEON John; 05-07-2023, 10:02 AM. Reason: Erased hidden code linked to a non-relicent web site like spam

Comment

In the home control market, Insteon is still seen as a good product line. Insteon has a wide range of smart home gadgets and systems, such as lighting controls, thermostats, sensors, and more. It is known for its dual-mesh networking technology, which uses both powerline and wireless communication to connect home automation devices in a way that is stable and strong. But it's always a good idea to do more research or check the latest information to get the most up-to-date picture of Insteon's present status and market presence.
                        Last edited by INSTEON John; 06-04-2023, 12:05 PM. Reason: Erased hidden code linked to a non-relevant web site like spam

Comment

Consider whether your existing devices, such as the lamp dimmers, are only compatible with Insteon or if they can work with other systems as well. This will help determine whether switching to a different brand would require replacing all your devices or if they can be integrated with a new system.
                          Last edited by INSTEON John; 06-25-2023, 01:22 PM. Reason: Erased hidden code linked to a non-relevant web site like spam

Comment

Working...
                          X