Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hub intermittent red light and won't stay connected to Insteon Server

Help!

About 3 weeks ago my Insteon Hub 2245-222 could not be controlled by the app (both the old app and the new beta version). The error on the App reads "Hub Offline". When I checked the hub the red status light was red. There were no changes to the hub, my router, or LAN any time recent to the issue occurring. Occasionally, with no intervention the hub light is green and I still get the error on the application. Other times the the status light is green and I can control my devices with the app but this quickly fails and makes the status light turn red again and the Hub Offline message returns on the app. When the hub light is red my scheduled devices are still turning on and off.

This is what I have done to try and remedy the issue:
    1. Reset the hub
    2. reset the network connection on the hub
    3. changed the ethernet cable
    4. Tried different ports on my router
    5. ran the hub diagnostics: Test 5 fails most of the time, tests 4 and 6 fail the other times. When the light is green the all 7 tests pass
    6. restarted and reset my router (reset back to factory settings)
    7. restarted my modem
    8. Called Insteon support and gave up after 2 weeks of them telling me to do fundamental tasks.
    9. Purchased a new hub and set-up a new account-same issue. I can access the modem information via the app even when the error message is displayed but the firmware update would fail every time I tried.
    10. deleted the apps from my iPhone and reinstalled
    11. note that there are 22 other devices connected to the router and they all work without issue.
    12. I made the hub IP address static in my router
    13. I checked the router logs and there were no issues logged for the Hub
    14. The router shows the hub as connected and active
    15. FIrewall settings are not blocking the hub
    I'd appreciate any help with this issue as Insteon support has only offered basic solutions It appears that the Hub is initiating a connection to the Insteon servers but not maintaining communication.

That is maddening.

Did you get the same diagnostic results on both Hubs?...and are you using cable or fiber for Internet? If so that tells me there is an issue with your ISP. You have done everything I would have.

You might try a different network, maybe at a friends house to verify. If it works there that narrows it down real fast.

Comment

Thanks for the response!

I did get the same diagnostic test results on both hubs and I have cable for internet. I own the modem and the ISP is Comcast. I dread calling their support as I only get more frustrated but agree that this is probably an ISP issue. Ugh. I will try your suggestion of taking the hub to a friends house (maybe one with the same ISP and one with a different ISP).

Thanks again. I'll let you know if/when I get resolution.

Comment

Working...
      X