Hub Network reset not working

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hub Network reset not working

I had to mess around with my router and new IP address were handed out to the network by the DHCP. The problem is that the Insteon hub is still stuck on the old IP which now belongs to a new device and internally it will not take the new one. I have tried plugging and unplugging the hub but nothing. I have tried clicking the set button 3 times, I get the three beeps but the light does not go green and does not reboot. Because the hub is stuck on old IP I can’t access it through the app. What can I do?

Want to add some more informaton. So I set a static address (192.168.2.251) in my router for the hub using the hub MAC address. I verified that the it shows up correctly in the DHCP map on my router. But when I go to http://connect.insteon.com/getinfo.asp for the hub it still shows the old address (192.168.2.1). For some reason internally the hub is not updating the address. The weird thing is if I go to the statis address 192.168.2.251:25105 in the browser I get the login prompt and can log into the hub. Something very weird is happening.

Comment

What happened when you do a network reset on the Hub?

If this is a 2242-222 Hub I would remove the reservation from router, and perform a network reset on the Hub. Let the router and hub go through the Dora process and when its complete, re-make the reservation. Make sure that you disable DHCP in the Insteon app as well.

If this is a 2245-222 Hub, I would do a network reset on the Hub and move on since it using long polling vs reverse NAT. (no port forwarding)

Comment

SeanM
        Languy
        What is the default username and password for a 2242-222 (2012 hub)? I'm stuck at an http basic authentication prompt "This site is asking you to sign in." when I go to 192.168.0.100:25105/

Comment

There is not a default username/password for Hub 1's. Those credentials are generated upon account creation through the Insteon app and can be found under settings-> House. Hub 2's have this information printed on the bottom of the unit.

HOWEVER, it is important to distinguish that these are not the same as the username/password that users make during account creation to login to their Hub account. The credentials you are asking for are used for 3rd party software integrations as a sort of identifier for the unit, token, etc...

Also, the Hubs 1 and 2's do not have local web servers available for users, so even if you had the correct info, it would only take you to a status page with some basic FW text. As a Hub 1 user you can use connect.insteon.com which is a web GUI for local control using your regular login created through the app, but that site is limited. Hub 2's will not connect to this site.

I am aware of two reasons to get into the backend of a Hub 1 but they are exceedingly rare and a bit complicated. What are you trying to accomplish?

Comment

I have two reasons to get into the backend of my Hub1.

1) I need to explore its back-end interface to understand it better, and control it from custom (bash, perhaps python) scripting on my computer.
            2) I need to change its network settings from Static IP Addressing to DHCP.

Originally posted by SeanM View Post
            through the Insteon app and can be found under settings-> House.
            When I go into the insteon app I see a settings gear in the lower right. But the only two items on it are "Edit this" and "Edit Settings". There is no "House" option.

Actually, I went into 'Settings' -> 'Edit Settings' -> 'House' -> (scrolled down) and found a "HUB INSTEON ID", "HUB Username", and "Hub Password" which was all asterisks, 10 of them. I tapped on it to view the PW, and it brought up a screen with an empty password field that appeared to be unset. I typed in a new password there, but it's not clear to me that it committed that change. there's a floppy disk icon at top that I would assume was save, but it did not respond to touch. I went back to look at it and it was blank again which I formerly assumed meant it was unset. But perhaps it simply never displays the informtion. (Write only).

I then looked at the username field and it looks like I should be able to change the userame. So I tried, and it's not changing. The save button on that screen flashes the screen and kicks me back out to the list of hub information. That's a different behavior than what the save button does on the set password screen. But neither of them appear to save at any rate.
            Last edited by billy; 02-24-2022, 09:15 PM.

Comment

I thought I'd share the screen with this thread to help others (to remind me when I forget in a couple years):
              The app is https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...steon.insteon3
              Icon looks like this:
              You do not have permission to view this gallery.
              This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

I'm wondering if perhaps something's wrong with the database at insteon that this app talks to, because the network info looks like some sort of placeholder value, it looks like it's set to DHCP, and it's definitely not getting it's IP via dhcp, and I can't seem to update the username nor the password. (Blurring was done by me)

Also, I can confirm that after "setting" the password to something new, the username shown to me and my new pw don't work. I also tried the un shown to me as the un and pw and didn't work, and same un with a blank pw, no work.
                You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                This gallery has 5 photos.
                Last edited by billy; 02-06-2022, 11:28 AM.

Comment

The below will get you started. I can safely say there is no support on this from Insteon, so you are on your own. All you can really do in the backend is set the time and set a network address, but that can all easily be accomplished from the app.

https://forum.smarthome.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=16624

Comment

Did my screenshots look broken to you? The fields with the tildes?

Are you able to make changes from the app on your phone? Mine seems to be read only....

Comment

I have seen that ~network(n)~ pop up before from others on the forum, so it doesn't strike me as odd. If you had connectivity issues then it might be something to look at, but if it isn't broke don't fix it.

I can change the local IP, Port number, the Hub user and pw. I do not have the ability update the external IP, gateway IP, or mask because that info comes from the router, with the caveat that the external is really provided by the ISP.

Comment

Support directed me to this reset procedure:
                        https://www.insteon.com/support-know...on-insteon-hub

After that it came up DHCP and got an address from my dhcp server/router like i was wanting. I still can't log into it locally though. I'd really like to be able to, if just to see what diagnostic information it presents.

Comment

SOLVED: The username and pw shown in the app is not just for you to log into the hub over the lan. It's how the app itself logs into the hub over the lan. So, just spy on that connection to find out the password.

Tools needed:
                          network switch with a span port, or a linux router
                          Wireshark packer capture analysis tool

Run a packet capture of all traffic to/from your insteon hub address. Then log in to the app and view house settings. Stop the capture and look in the cap.

Find the first connection from your phone to the hub in the capture, and right-click, follow, tcp stream. wireshark should pop up a new window and at the top it will say:

GET /config.htm HTTP/1.0

Authorization: Basic OGRSWnV2emxQcDpwdzVTaDVyTnR6

HTTP/1.1 200 OK

Connection: close

Content-Type: text/html

Cache-Control: no-cache

Access-Control-Allow-Origin: *

From that we can deduce that the app on your phone is loading config.htm on the hub, using http basic auth string "OGRSWnV2emxQcDpwdzVddiVyTnR6" This string "contains your username and password, encoded in base64. to extract it, use a base-64 decoder and you get: 8dRZuvzlPp:lw5fh5rNtz

The first half is clearly the username showin in the app, and the second is the pw.

So far I've found the following pages on the hub:
                          config.htm
                          x10.htm
                          mpfsupload
                          network.htm
                          sun.htm
                          rooms.htm
                          URL.htm

a.html let me change the password, but I almost gave myself a headache:
                          I hit submit without changing anything and it updated the username to the default value on screen which was ~MyUn~ I thought it would have updated the pw to whatever the default value was, so I puled the html and looked at it and the form's default value was just ***** for password, but I also noticed the html was malformed so the actual form value would have been unset.

I was able to get back in with username ~MyUn~ and the pasword I dug out of the pcap. But the app wasn't connecting and I thought I'd just remove the un and pw. The web page says that a blank un and pw would disable auth so I did that. Then i reloaded the app and it connected, but back in the browser it no longer let me in without authenticaion. I checked and saw in the app there was a new username. so I think the app specifically looks for the absence of a un/pw and if it's absent the app generates a new username and pw and sets it on the hub without ever telling the user what the pw is.... grrrr

So I re-discovered the un/pw same way I did the first time and I guess I just can't change it because it will break app connectivity if I set it to anything but what the app says, and if I set it to blank the app will just un-blank it again. Oh well. I suppose I can just keep that un/pw in my password manager. I bet that behavior was an intentional decision by insteon to reduce the chance of becoming fameous for people's hubs being pwned when people port forward to them. I don't plan on port forwarding, but if I did I wouldn't want it without password for sure.

Now I can start playing around with sending http GET/PUTs to my hub to control lights. Eventually I'm going to script lighting scenes from my linux server and from my Vera home hub.

With the PCAP (still running) I can see that the app is hitting http://insteon:25105/sx.xml?22121D=1902 for example to turn lights off. so I just need to figure out how it generates those urls and what they mean to be able to do it myself.

UPDATE: just googling sx.xml and insteon I found a number of preexisting works that do what I need.
                          https://github.com/jdbower/insteon for example I downloaded just ten minutes ago and I am already controlling my lights from the commandline! Wow!
                          Last edited by billy; 03-07-2022, 09:37 AM.

Comment

Working...
                          X