Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any remote access through the 2242-222 other than the APP?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any remote access through the 2242-222 other than the APP?

I'm trying to get my lights working with the google assistant. The last light on the list and my only Insteon is the 2845 keypad switch (not dimmable) that controls the fluorescent fixture in my kitchen. Strike 1, the 2845 unlike the dimmable version can't talk to Google assistant directly. I do have a 2242-222 and can talk to the switch through the Insteon app. Strike 2, the 2242-222 can't talk to the Google assistant unlike the 2245.

My other switches were all X10's and I've replaced them with C by GE - no neutral wire switches, that do talk to Google Assistant. I have old no neutral wiring and Insteon didn't have switches for that.

I do have a workaround that I don't like. While I was all X10, I used a pair of X10 gadgets one connected to my computer which talks to other on the power line that puts tout he X10 commands.. I then have an external google assistant friendly service send commands to my computer. Since the 2845 understands X10 that works., and doesn't use an Insteon bridge. But I really want out of the X10 world and depending on the old 2 wire power wiring for communication.

So, I guess I'm looking for a different workaround using the 2242. Is there anyway to do this?

If there isn't any, my alternatives are stick with X10 and my workaround for the one switch, or buy a 2245 which seems excessive for one switch, or replace the 2845. I don't need the keypad, but I'm not sure that either a C by GE or a different Insteon switch would work with the 4 tube overhead fluorescent fixture.

You can send direct commands to the Hub. (Link Below) You would need to have the 2242 Hub port forwarded and use the external IP address in place of the internal. I would also recommend setting up a DDNS address so you don't have to keep updating your info.

https://www.smarthome.com.au/smartho...http-commands/

Comment

Originally posted by kmand View Post
      I'm trying to get my lights working with the google assistant. The last light on the list and my only Insteon is the 2845 keypad switch (not dimmable) that controls the fluorescent fixture in my kitchen. Strike 1, the 2845 unlike the dimmable version can't talk to Google assistant directly. I do have a 2242-222 and can talk to the switch through the Insteon app. Strike 2, the 2242-222 can't talk to the Google assistant unlike the 2245.

My other switches were all X10's and I've replaced them with C by GE - no neutral wire switches, that do talk to Google Assistant. I have old no neutral wiring and Insteon didn't have switches for that.

I do have a workaround that I don't like. While I was all X10, I used a pair of X10 gadgets one connected to my computer which talks to other on the power line that puts tout he X10 commands.. I then have an external google assistant friendly service send commands to my computer. Since the 2845 understands X10 that works., and doesn't use an Insteon bridge. But I really want out of the X10 world and depending on the old 2 wire power wiring for communication.

So, I guess I'm looking for a different workaround using the 2242. Is there anyway to do this?

If there isn't any, my alternatives are stick with X10 and my workaround for the one switch, or buy a 2245 which seems excessive for one switch, or replace the 2845. I don't need the keypad, but I'm not sure that either a C by GE or a different Insteon switch would work with the 4 tube overhead fluorescent fixture.
      Not really. No insteon device talks directly to Alexa without a hub that does the connection for it. Replacing your current switch with an insteon switch wouldn't change that.

You would need some type of hub such as the 2245 or isy that will do that. There are 3rd party systems that may make use of your hub to allow that such as home assistant. Your current software may be able to do this as well since the 2242 can be used as an insteon plm.

Unless you're willing to invest in upgrading your current infrastructure, your current work around is probably best

Comment

Working...
      X