Migrate from isy to a Hub

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Migrate from isy to a Hub

I presently have an older isy994i that appears to be on it's way out. I was thinking of switching to a hub, but was wondering about the compatibility with all my older gear. Mostly light switches and plugs, a couple of outdoor plugin modules. Also a 6 button key pad and some fan controls. Are all of these older devices compatible? I hope so.
    Thanks
    Brad

For the most part all insteon devices are supported. Adding them and creating scenes may vary due to device firmware. Personally you'd be taking a few steps backwards going from the isy to the hub.

What makes you think your ISY is going out?

Comment

I would try a new power supply on the ISY994i. I have had two of them over the years go bad and make the ISY994i look bad or be dead.
      The messages on their forums. Indicate it can use a 5V-30V DC supply. Center +. 5.5mm barrel and a 2.1mm center pin.

The HUB has less features and abilities. Over an ISY994i. It would be a step backwards.
      Last edited by BLH; 10-27-2019, 09:53 AM. Reason: Add information

Comment

Some programs started to become erratic, I can't access the isy from the console most of the time.. sometimes the isy finder can see it sometimes not. Mobikinc was working fine, now it's slow or doesn't connect. Not dependable anymore.

Comment

How old is the PLM.
          They have a reputation of failing after two years of use. There is a very long thread on how we rebuilt ours on the UDI Forums.
          The one I got recently in the $29 sale. Is the latest V2.5 and has updated components in the power supply where many issues started.

Comment

The PLM is about 4 years old. That is the 3rd one in the last nine years. At $100 a pop here in Canada, it's a tough sell just to find out if it's a problem. My main problem is no Admin Console access. It worked fine and all of a sudden, nothing. The finder can sometimes find it and open the main page and go no further, and sometimes it doesn't even find the isy. I want to simplify things, as i'm the only one who has any clue how things work. A simple vacation scene with a few lights coming on a times before and at sunset, and off at random times. A couple of outdoor timers for Christmas lights in winter and a bird bath in summer. The keypad for easy access to a couple of lights a a strategic spot. The fan lincs i don't need for programs or remote access. Also access like Mobilinc in case i forget to turn the vacation scene on, or want to check status from anywhere. I was thinking the hub would achieve all this, and the app would be easier for the family to work with. Maybe i'm in left field in this thought process. I don't want to spend $100 on a PLM or $200 on another isy, still have no admin console access, with a simpler solution available.
            I think the hub would achieve all this, but i am relying on all your expertise to advise me if this is possible.

Comment

Have you asked in the UDI Forums. There are very helpful and knowledgeable members there. Also the UDI staff is extremely helpful to ISY users. With users consent. Logging into a unit to see exactly what the problem is.
              https://forum.universal-devices.com/

As for the PLM. They recently released V2.5. It has a updated main board and serial daughter board. Including a new C7 and C13 that where known in the past to be a problem. Most times after a few years of use.

Too bad Canada was not included in the 2413S PLM sale a few weeks ago. For 29.99.

Comment

Deciding on the newest Insteon Hub or switching to Smartthings.

Comment

That's easy . If your switching to zwave then smartthings. If staying with insteon then the hub

Comment

Looking at the compatibility list from Smarthome, i can't see the 2473 outlet linc on the list or the 2476S switch linc. I have a lot of these, and not being compatible will be an issue.

Comment

If youre using those devices, most likely your issue is communication vs isy having issues. The ISY in general is pretty rock solidR it's reputation is 2nd to none.. Not knowing exactly what going on its hard to say definitively.

Those devices have been discontinued for 5+ years which is why they aren't listed .they can be added though the steps to add them and set up scenes are daunting and not worth the effort.

Comment

Originally posted by bmiller View Post
                        The PLM is about 4 years old. That is the 3rd one in the last nine years. At $100 a pop here in Canada, it's a tough sell just to find out if it's a problem. My main problem is no Admin Console access. It worked fine and all of a sudden, nothing. The finder can sometimes find it and open the main page and go no further, and sometimes it doesn't even find the isy. I want to simplify things, as i'm the only one who has any clue how things work. A simple vacation scene with a few lights coming on a times before and at sunset, and off at random times. A couple of outdoor timers for Christmas lights in winter and a bird bath in summer. The keypad for easy access to a couple of lights a a strategic spot. The fan lincs i don't need for programs or remote access. Also access like Coles mycoles, Mobilinc in case i forget to turn the vacation scene on, or want to check status from anywhere. I was thinking the hub would achieve all this, and the app would be easier for the family to work with. Maybe i'm in left field in this thought process. I don't want to spend $100 on a PLM or $200 on another isy, still have no admin console access, with a simpler solution available.
                        I think the hub would achieve all this, but i am relying on all your expertise to advise me if this is possible.
                        Posted - 18/02/2015: 20:00:54 PM Show profile Visit stusviews's page Reply with quotes
                        If you have communication difficulties, no Insteon manager will be better than anyone else.

If you solve communication problems, ISY will provide the most powerful solutions for customizing control of Insteon devices.

HouseLinc has the best troubleshooting tools. Too bad it was abandoned, but it's still great for pointing at devices that are being interfered with.

Comment

A couple of months ago i was having major problems finding, starting the admin console. It would start up on a random basis, and i manged to update the console to the latest version. After that, all was working fine until i tried it today, and the isy finder doesn't find my isy again. Cleared java cache, downloaded the isy finder and nothing. This is just way too frustrating and unnecessary in this day and age. The only thing that changed was updating java. If that's all it takes to mess everything up, then there is a bigger issue that needs to be addressed.

Found virus software preventing access to the isy. After disabling that, i had to reboot the isy by unplugging both plm and isy. The console then started, but no programs showed up. I had to restore the isy and now all is ok. Outside of the virus bit, there is still quite a process to get the console to work after updating java.
                          Last edited by bmiller; 01-24-2020, 06:31 AM.

Comment

Working...
                          X