After 2242-222 hub died then repaired, now notifications don't work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

After 2242-222 hub died then repaired, now notifications don't work

Hello, I've been using my insteon hub for many years. Recently my 2242-222 hub died and I bought a used 2242-222 and pulled the (what I believe to be) power supply. I replaced it in my hub that died and I was able to get it working again without too much trouble. Only problem is that notifications, email or push, have stopped working. I've tried reinstalling the device (IO Linc for Garage Door), and clearing the cache on my app, but it just doesn't seem to work. I have several devices with the app and notifications don't work on any of them anymore, so I'm thinking that the problem lies in the hub or insteon hardware. I've also set notifications on another light switch just to see if it was the IO Linc that wasn't working, but that didn't send any notifications either. Can anyone help?

Thanks,

You changed the board with the AC power connector?

That is more than just the power supply. It is the main board with the Link Database; RF and power line Insteon communications electronics. It will also have a different six digit Insteon ID. Maybe a different network ID also.

I don't have any idea on how to correct this. Basically you have a different HUB in the system now.

Comment

Originally posted by BLH View Post
      You changed the board with the AC power connector?

That is more than just the power supply. It is the main board with the Link Database; RF and power line Insteon communications electronics. It will also have a different six digit Insteon ID. Maybe a different network ID also.

I don't have any idea on how to correct this. Basically you have a different HUB in the system now.
      Hmm, yes I see that it does have a bunch of logic on it. What's puzzling me right now is that everything is working except the notifications. Does that function rely on the Insteon ID somehow? I'm pretty sure that the network worked when I put it all back together. What if I started all over? That wouldn't matter if it was a different hub now right? Shouldn't I be able to buy another hub, reset it and setup a new Insteon system?

Comment

Or, is there a certain chip that contains the hub ID etc. I could swap that onto a working board and try. I have experience de-soldering ICs, I just don't know which chip.

Comment

I thought about it. The APP may have still worked. I think the network MAC ID is on the other network interface board.

I don't know which surface mounted Microcontrol is the main one and the other one is the controller for the Insteon RF receiver and transmitter.

If you are good at soldering. You may have better luck with the old main board. Change all the electrolytic capacitor on the board. Smarthome has had issues with power supply capacitors in the HUB and 2413 series PLMs. Using a good brand capacitor designed for switching power supply use. I have rebuilt a few 2413S PLMs and a pair of 2443 V2.? Access Points. That where also on the base 2413 PLM board. Look at the old board and you may see some of the capacitors swollen or the rubber seal on the bottom bulging out.

Not a HUB user. So I don't know how hard is is to start from scratch with a new one.
          Last edited by BLH; 08-03-2019, 04:36 AM.

Comment

Since the modules sending the Insteon messages back to the HUB. Still have the old HUB ID in its Link Database. The messages they are sending. The present HUB does not see it as a message sent to it.

Comment

Originally posted by BLH View Post
              I thought about it. The APP may have still worked. I think the network MAC ID is on the other network interface board.

I don't know which surface mounted Microcontrol is the main one and the other one is the controller for the Insteon RF receiver and transmitter.

If you are good at soldering. You may have better luck with the old main board. Change all the electrolytic capacitor on the board. Smarthome has had issues with power supply capacitors in the HUB and 2413 series PLMs. Using a good brand capacitor designed for switching power supply use. I have rebuilt a few 2413S PLMs and a pair of 2443 V2.? Access Points. That where also on the base 2413 PLM board. Look at the old board and you may see some of the capacitors swollen or the rubber seal on the bottom bulging out.

Not a HUB user. So I don't know how hard is is to start from scratch with a new one.
              I thought about doing this, but none of the electrolytics appeared bad. (yea I've seen bad ones) Not to say they aren't bad, however a couple of the ceramic caps did look burnt, as in their greenish color isn't uniform all around. There is some darker, almost black burnt looking spots on them. I would replace them except there aren't any discernible markings on it telling me the value.

So if I did replace the electrolytics, what brand is considered "good"?
              Last edited by SuperRA; 08-05-2019, 11:25 PM.

Comment

I don't have a particular brand in mind. When we did the 2413 main board capacitors. We used available capacitors on either DigiKey or Mouser. With a rating for switching power supplies, working voltage and size. The exact model changed from time to time. Due to models in stock or replaced by a new replacement line.

I checked my extras. Nichicon, Panasonic, Rybycon, Kemet and UCC.

Many of the ones we changed showed no signs of failure. A member with a capacitor tester. Found many had lost almost all of its capacity or the ESR was sky high.
                Last edited by BLH; 08-06-2019, 06:27 AM. Reason: Add Information

Comment

Reporting back. After replacing all the electrolytic capacitors on the original board with the longest rated life capacitors I could find on Digikey. (Rubycons and Nichicons) I swapped it back in, re-setup the devices and now notifications are back! =)
                  Thanks BLH for chiming in to help.

Comment

Working...
                  X