Replacing a Dead Hub 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Replacing a Dead Hub 1

My Hub 1 just died (no light on front and can't log in) and I've purchased a replacement Hub 2. I've read the transition document on the website for moving from Hub 1 to 2 that says I need to delete all devices and scenes and then delete the account for the Hub 1 before creating a new account for the Hub 2. I can't do that with the dead Hub 1 since I can't log on. I have seen the sticky on the migration program for a dead Hub 2 but I'm assuming that's not available to me with my dead Hub 1. Any advice on how to proceed would be appreciated.

You'll have to contact insteon to remove your account then you can reuse your old email address.

Comment

Reasoning: When the devices are added to a controller a link is made in the devices and in the controller. Removing them from the Hub removes the links so the devices wont try sending acknowledgments back to a device that is not there. What you will see is quick blinking red lights after you turned something On/off and, for sensors, this could shorten the battery life.

In your situation removing the devices wont work so the best answer is to factory reset your devices before you add them to your new Hub. It's not critical but it avoids you dealing with "automation-gremlins" in the future.

Comment

I have had 2 Hub failures in the last 7 years or so. I am tired of buying new hubs and light switches. Anyone out there experienced anything like this?

Comment

I don't have a HUB but the 2413S PLM also has a history of failing in a few years.

Comment

Originally posted by Xestika View Post
            I have had 2 Hub failures in the last 7 years or so. I am tired of buying new hubs and light switches. Anyone out there experienced anything like this?
            My second hub just failed yesterday. I also had a switch go a year ago.
            Does anyone know why they fail? I have integrated insteon components throughout my house and I am second guessing the reliability.

Comment

Most likely it is a power supply failure and a capacitor the most likely component.

Comment

Here are pics of my Hub that failed last night. It's lived it's whole life plugged into a UPS ,so not a power surge issue.IMG_0298.jpg

Comment

IMG_0299.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Yarambo View Post
                    Here are pics of my Hub that failed last night. It's lived it's whole life plugged into a UPS ,so not a power surge issue.
                    Wow... I came home this evening to a dead hub and tore it apart to find literally the exact same failure. I don't know how I feel after seeing your photos because they show the same crusty ass PCB as I found in my hub with the exact same failure mode. It doesn't really instill me with confidence in the product and I really don't want to spend another $80 on one of these crust hubs only to have it fail in the exact same way again in the future.

From reading the forums it looks like recovery from a failure is a serious pain as well....
                    1. I will need to contact support to have my old account deleted since it's permanently tied to the dead hub.
                    2. Then I need to perform a factory reset on all the devices I have before setting it all up again on a new hub.
                    I've lost all my scenes, all my schedules, and all the configuration I put into the IO modules.

That's not exactly a great experience, and at this point I'm debating just walking away and cutting my loses.

IMG_20191205_225823725.jpg

Comment

When you call support. They may have a replacement service I had seen mentioned.

Comment

Originally posted by BLH View Post
                        When you call support. They may have a replacement service I had seen mentioned.
                        When... right now it's matter of "if". Speaking as a professional software developer going on 20 years experience...

I don't want to call support to migrate my email address to a new hub and I shouldn't have to. There's no technical limitation for that, it's purely an architectural limitation that Insteon has imposed upon themselves.

Even if Insteon offers me a new hub at a discount, do I want it? Looking at the innards of my failed hub, the oxidation on all of the solder points gives me pause for concern. The fact that it failed in the exact same way as another user's also makes me question any replacement I might get as there's clearly a common failure method.

For the prices of a new warrantied hub (~$80) I can make a substantial investment in low cost modules from Sonoff or Wemos that are completely decentralized from a single point of failure.

Insteon's hub, in addition to being a single point of failure, is also a disaster recovery nightmare. I have lost my entire Insteon configuration. All the settings for my I/O Modules are gone, all my schedules are gone, all my scenes are gone. There was no way to backup any of that and there's no way to recover it. I am literally back to square one with my setup.

The option I have now is to pivot to using Alexa, Mozilla IoT or Hassio to externalize all of my scenes and schedules to a solution I can backup and not have to worry about the apocalyptic hub failure.

I'm at a loss. I like Insteon's product offering. I like hardwired communication. I like the simple single function approach. I like that the drop-in switches and outlet modules are nondescript, and blend in with traditional dumb home infrastructure. I like having a single App for managing all of those modules.

So at this point what do I do? I guess I'm looking for anything from Insteon that might convince me to stay on the platform.

Comment

Have you looked at a ISY994i? Now that Smarthome has updated the 2413S for better reliability. It is another way to go.
                          I have also seen an FCC Database entry for a new PLM that has a larger link database, universal AC power and a faster speed. Is in the works.

Comment

Working...
                          X