About had it with Insteon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

About had it with Insteon

So like many my hub went out but Insteon made good on it and sent me a new one. The hub arrived today and of course it is useless unless i create a new account because the app won't do anything without finding the hub it is linked to. I called Insteon to delete the hub from my account or delete my account altogether. I thought a call would be faster, but I was wrong. I was told they would send me an email I would have to reply to, with a picture of the bottom of my old hub (I threw it away but fortunately hadn't taken out the trash). I asked how long this would this take as 1/2 my home automation was already down about 2 weeks. She said they were done for the day so I would have to wait until tomorrow. Why didn't they just delete the old hub when I sent them this to get a new one? Seems like they would know the issue I would have. I don't want to create a new account under another email as everything else is linked to the existing address.

I'm really tempted to just trash the new hub as well. Insteon was already problematic, I'm limited to the range of the hub which only covers about 1/4 of my house. I have WEMO everywhere else that just requires WIFI which has coverage everywhere and actually works better. May just go buy some more WEMO devices.

You're not limited by the range of your hub but the number of devices throughout your home. Insteon, as with all modern automation systems utilize what is called a mesh system. This type of system allows each device to act as a repeater toother devices. This allows devices on end of your home to talk to another on the other side.

Insteon has a hub replacement program where they could have preprogrammed your hub with your old devices. This would've negated the need to setup your account all over again.

Comment

I just went through the Hub replacement program. I noticed my Hub was acting wonky, they had me take a photo of the back of the Hub. Once verified, I had to fill out a document and email it to them. A few days later, I received a new Hub. All I had to do was plug it in, turn it on and everything worked.

That was pretty nice. However, it did take more than a week from start to finish.

And I too am not sure of your issue with only having coverage to 1/4 of my house. I only have a 2200 sq. ft single story house, but I have end-to-end coverage without issues.

Comment

I’ve had lots Of dead hubs over the years with Insteon. I must say the recent hub migration process was really amazing in that I did not have to reprogram all the switches back into the new hub I just plugged in the new hub that they sent and everything worked! I just had to have Alexa discover new devices once. What they end up doing is sending you a hub that has the same Insteon ID as the one that died. only they can do this right now. Hopefully they can create a web service in the future to do this automatically to reduce the delay.
        It did take a week but hopefully they can speed that process up and more importantly make the hubs more durable. The one that died recently was a rev3 2245 only in service for six months.

If you have a big house you can actually use more than one hub and it seems to work just fine just add into the same account. I use 2 hubs in this house. And alexa will seemlessly work w both hubs

Insteon is subject to a lot of interference you may need to buy several ‘ filters’ from Insteon and put them on battery back ups UPSes and TVs.

I have mesh Wi-Fi and it does seem like the Wi-Fi switches that are available now are very Cheap and reliable. I use several TP link – Casa devices outside and it works great!

When it comes to the switch quality insteon does a great job - I don’t like the way the wemo switches look or lutron. Hopefully these guys can spend a little bit more time designing a better reliable hub. Maybe if they make it open source Like z wave Samsung smart things

Last edited by cybershawngates2k; 03-13-2019, 10:29 PM.

Comment

I am going on 5 years with the same hub, no issues. I have always had it on a UPS. But the original UPS died, I replaced with a new one, that next one was working, but upon a few power outtages, my router that was on it was shot (power supply was faulty and router was never the same). I have since bought a pure sine wave UPS from Cyperpower and no issues since in spite of having at least 3 power outages that I recall. The hub works fine thru it all. I have over 60 devices and two power legs, so I did have to install a repeater across the legs as I built out my system.

Good to know about the hub replacement should it need to happen.

Comment

Originally posted by cybershawngates2k View Post
            I’ve had lots Of dead hubs over the years with Insteon. I must say the recent hub migration process was really amazing in that I did not have to reprogram all the switches back into the new hub I just plugged in the new hub that they sent and everything worked! I just had to have Alexa discover new devices once. What they end up doing is sending you a hub that has the same Insteon ID as the one that died. only they can do this right now. Hopefully they can create a web service in the future to do this automatically to reduce the delay.
            It did take a week but hopefully they can speed that process up and more importantly make the hubs more durable. The one that died recently was a rev3 2245 only in service for six months.

If you have a big house you can actually use more than one hub and it seems to work just fine just add into the same account. I use 2 hubs in this house. And alexa will seemlessly work w both hubs

Insteon is subject to a lot of interference you may need to buy several ‘ filters’ from Insteon and put them on battery back ups UPSes and TVs.

I have mesh Wi-Fi and it does seem like the Wi-Fi switches that are available now are very Cheap and reliable. I use several TP link – Casa devices outside and it works great!

When it comes to the switch quality insteon does a great job - I don’t like the way the wemo switches look or lutron. Hopefully these guys can spend a little bit more time designing a better reliable hub. Maybe if they make it open source Like z wave Samsung smart things

You really shouldn't need 2 hubs in a single home unless you have detached dwellings. I've seen homes as large as 10000 sq feet work off a single plm. The only issue with a large home is maxing out the link take on a plm (the hub has the plm built in but it's the same). It's the devices more than the hub that allows the signal to carry.

Comment

Working...
            X