Watchdog or remote rebooting of Insteon Hub

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Watchdog or remote rebooting of Insteon Hub

I have an Insteon Hub installed in a vacation house in West Virginia. It is used to control a thermostat, gutter heat tapes, lighting and a water heater remotely via iPhone. Internet service there has limited bandwidth and experiences outages, sometimes for many hours. When this happens, the Hub occasionally locks up with a red LED indicator even as the router is back online. I suspect this happens when house power has not failed or is restored long before the cable based Internet service is restored. The only solution to date has been to have someone travel to the house and reboot the Hub by unplugging it briefly. An internal watchdog timer to reboot the Hub would be one solution. Anyone devised a way to do this?
    The alternative may be to plug the Hub into a smart outlet that can be controlled via the Internet. It would have to be a relay type to pass the Insteon PLM signals. Installing another Internet activated device to reboot an Internet activated device that hangs up seems to be kluge. However, I welcome any suggestions or ideas.
    Thanks.

I'd just plug it into a wemo and go from there

Comment

Thanks lilyoyo1, I'll try a smart plug. I'll test it a home to make sure it doesn't get hung up with a long Internet outage too. I believe most of these use a relay server like Insteon. Are you aware of any smart plug devices that support direct Internet connection via a WAN IP port?

Comment

Working...
      X