REALLY basic question on hubs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

REALLY basic question on hubs

This may sound incredible coming from someone who has been into HA for well-nigh 30 years, but....

Can you please tell me exactly what functionality is provided by a hub? What does it do that a PLM tied into really good HA software (like, oh, say, HomeSeer) doesn't? How does a hub interface with your Insteon, is it just another dual-band device that holds programming?

And what, pray tell, is the difference between a "hub" and an "ISY 99" or whatever it's called?

They say the only stupid question is the one you don't ask. So why do I feel so stupid now?
    Jim Speiser
    Payson, Arizona

Insteon/X-10 since 1985 | 200+ Insteon devices (and one Zigbee!) | USB PLM | HomeSeer 3 | Current WAF Level: -12

The 2413S and 2413U provide an Insteon interface between the power lines and RF to a connected controller or software running on a computer. They are Dual Band RF and power lines. Also has a Link database in it for the controlling device to store the needed links.
    The PLM can't do much with out software or a controller connected.

From what I have seen. The HUBs are for entry level users controller. Goes through a Cloud account. Is Dual Band so it has both RF and power line communications. It can not do things like conditional.

The ISY994i connects to the 2413S PLM. It can control Insteon modules with installed customer generated scenes and programs. It can do conditionals and other more advanced things. It can also have options like a Z-Wave board added and do both Z-Wave and Insteon. It also can do X10. Runs standalone. Though it has network access and a portal to do may added things.

Comment

OK, thanks to both for your responses. However, neither of you mentioned anything, whether with a hub or an ISY, that isn't accomplished by a sophisticated program such as HomeSeer - which also adds scripting, and can talk to your smartphone, your email, your telephone, your Alexa, and even yourSELF (through TTS and media files).

I've just been curious about this because I've gone the software route from the beginning, and sort of ignored anything that called for a "hub".

Also - awareness is just dawning right now - is a PLM considered a species of "hub"? I have the 2413U, I've always called it the PLM, but it seems to me to fit the description of a hub you gave above.
      Jim Speiser
      Payson, Arizona

Insteon/X-10 since 1985 | 200+ Insteon devices (and one Zigbee!) | USB PLM | HomeSeer 3 | Current WAF Level: -12

Comment

The ISY and homeseer have similar capabilities. Using one or the other really comes down to personal choice. IveI'used both the isy and homeseer. I prefer the isy though admittedly I havent used homeseer in a while. Homeseer felt like a jack of all trades but master oof none. That's not to diminishes its value as I feel it's a great system. Simply not the system for me.

The plm is not a hub. It's simply a modem that connects to another system to send out the insteon signal to devices. .

Comment

A PLM is a translator of commands into the Insteon network. The Hub has one built in. The 2413U/S is a gateway for 3rd party software to interact with the Insteon devices. How they present the interface to the end user is up to them.

At the end of the day the Hub is a simple cloud connected device with a pretty GUI for people to configure Insteon devices and set simple schedules/scenes on a mobile device. It will not have the functionality of a software based system, the ISY or HomeSeer. (No logic, conditionals, offset timers, etc...)

As far as functionality I would say the ISY is as functional, if not more than HA, but it also depends on what you are using it for. If you are happy with HA I would leave this alone. If its not broke don't fix it.

Comment

Thanks to all. The only reason this came up is because I see things for sale on Insteon.com or SmartHome that say "requires hub." Yet I've purchased some of those things, without a hub, and they work fine.
            Jim Speiser
            Payson, Arizona

Comment

The hub is made by insteon while all other ootioptare 3rd party options. They are simply pushing their own line vs other companies.

Comment

Working...
              X