Hub / Bulb compatability

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hub / Bulb compatability

I'll present this question in two ways...

First, is there any bulb (or screw-in lamp module) currently being made that the Insteon Hub supports? I see there WAS a bulb (https://www.smarthome.com/insteon-a1...ite-2534k.html) , but it isn't available now. I'm guessing that it the Hub doesn't play nice with Hue bulbs or similar. Anything that does work if I'm trying to control an individual bulb/lamp socket?

Second, I slid into the second way to frame this above, but here's the full version. I'm trying to convert (in a simple and cost-effective way) a series of old-school basement lamp-socket lights to be controlled on a single switch for my elderly mother. I like Insteon...I know Insteon (a little)...I have an extra Insteon Hub and switch. But, given these lights aren't switch controlled at all (old-school pull chains at individual sockets), I'm not sure insteon will work in this scenario as a cost-effective solution if I don't have a bulb that it will talk to or a screw-in lamp insert. If that's true, does anybody have any other thoughts on how to cost-effectively convert 4-6 pull chain lights to a single switch using modern technology (i.e. not calling an electrician)?

Thanks!

The hub only supports insteon devices. No other bulb is compatible.

You could use hue bulbs and the hue tap to control them.

Comment

The Insteon LED Bulbs seem to have disappeared from the sales site. So leaving the pull chains On and controlling them from the HUB. Doesn't look possible at this time.

Comment

You could use X10 instead of Insteon or Hue. To keep costs low, you can buy new or used X10 stuff on eBay at a fraction of the cost of buying it new from retailers.

Install a X10 LM15A Socket Rocket at each lamp socket (they screw in, then the bulb screws in to the LM15A). Assign the same X10 address to each LM15A (you will need an X10 transmitter device to do this, such as a mini or maxi controller).

Your spare Insteon switch should be X10 capable. Be sure to install the switch on a circuit that is on the same phase as the circuit(s) that the lights are on. When installing the switch, the load wire (red) is capped off. Assign an X10 address to the switch so it can then control the LM15As.

Comment

Originally posted by x10expert View Post
          You could use X10 instead of Insteon or Hue. To keep costs low, you can buy new or used X10 stuff on eBay at a fraction of the cost of buying it new from retailers.

Install a X10 LM15A Socket Rocket at each lamp socket (they screw in, then the bulb screws in to the LM15A). Assign the same X10 address to each LM15A (you will need an X10 transmitter device to do this, such as a mini or maxi controller).

Your spare Insteon switch should be X10 capable. Be sure to install the switch on a circuit that is on the same phase as the circuit(s) that the lights are on. When installing the switch, the load wire (red) is capped off. Assign an X10 address to the switch so it can then control the LM15As.
          The problem with this is that x10 doesn't work with the new hub and he wants to use it with the hub. If he's ok with not having it controller by the hub too, then this would work.
          Last edited by lilyoyo1; 01-09-2019, 05:29 AM.

Comment

Working...
          X