Schedules don't seem to be working

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Schedules don't seem to be working

Hi - first time posting here. I've had Insteon dimmers in my home in my home for about 12 years. I'm going to say 8 months ago I bought a hub so I could turn lights on with Alexa. (shhh... she might hear) So I got the apps for my phone and my PC. Now I'm trying to set up some of the lights to work on schedules. I set up a couple scheds today and they don't seem to be working. Thoughts? Also I assume when I get these working, they'll continue to work if I decide to shut off the internet - right? The hub should keep executing the scheds.

Originally posted by TFitzpatri8
    Alexa won’t work without the internet.
    I know that. I'm talking about the hub turning my lights on and off on schedules without the internet. Assuming I can get scheduling working, the hub shouldn't need the internet.

Comment

Do the scheduled events work when triggered manually or not at all? Do any of the schedules share the same time? For example, if two or more modules will turn ON at 6pm, create a scene with those two modules and then set the schedule to that scene, NOT on the individual modules. Even individual modules with schedules set very close (i.e., one minute apart) may be unreliable.

Yes, once set, schedules will work without an Internet connection to the Hub. One caveat is that the Hub will use its Internet connection to periodically check the current time and to update its DST table (though DST on the Hub has a long tradition of not working properly), so it's better to provide the Hub with Internet if at all possible.

Comment

Originally posted by cnorris View Post
        Do the scheduled events work when triggered manually or not at all? Do any of the schedules share the same time? For example, if two or more modules will turn ON at 6pm, create a scene with those two modules and then set the schedule to that scene, NOT on the individual modules. Even individual modules with schedules set very close (i.e., one minute apart) may be unreliable.

Yes, once set, schedules will work without an Internet connection to the Hub. One caveat is that the Hub will use its Internet connection to periodically check the current time and to update its DST table (though DST on the Hub has a long tradition of not working properly), so it's better to provide the Hub with Internet if at all possible.
        Yes - I can turn on and off devices using the PC app and the Droid app. Alexa also works to turn on and off. I believe one of my 3 schedules may be working. None of the 3 were scheduled at the same times. Is it true that the devices have to be "on" when you save the schedules?

Comment

OK - I noticed something this morning. Using the Droid app and the instructions for schedules on the Insteon webpage, when I go to Settings, then Devices, when I look at the various devices - 6 now - they don't all have Schedule in Device Properties. The schedules that are working are the devices that do have Schedule in the properties. If I go to Settings, then Schedules, all the devices show up under either Device Schedules or Unscheduled items. If I tap an Unscheduled Item, I can add a schedule. But it won't work unless Schedule shows up in the Device Properties as I said above. I wonder what's going in the hub!!!

Comment

Will you list what can be scheduled and what cannot? It will give more insight as to what is going on with your particular setup.

Comment

Originally posted by surfshoptom View Post
              OK - I noticed something this morning. Using the Droid app and the instructions for schedules on the Insteon webpage, when I go to Settings, then Devices, when I look at the various devices - 6 now - they don't all have Schedule in Device Properties. The schedules that are working are the devices that do have Schedule in the properties. If I go to Settings, then Schedules, all the devices show up under either Device Schedules or Unscheduled items. If I tap an Unscheduled Item, I can add a schedule. But it won't work unless Schedule shows up in the Device Properties as I said above. I wonder what's going in the hub!!!
              Keep in mind that a schedule can be applied to both DEVICES and also SCENES. If you schedule a single device, then that device will show those settings when checking its configuration, as you have described.

However, if there is more than one device that should respond to a schedule (for example, multiple outdoor lights turn ON at sunset and OFF at sunrise) then the best practice is to create a Scene, add each device to that scene as a Responder and then apply the desired schedule to the scene – NOT the individual devices. (Disclaimer that yes, for advanced configurations, devices can be members of scenes and both the scene and device may have schedules but I recommend you avoid that and certainly don't do that while troubleshooting).

Comment

Working...
              X