Defective Hub Died being charged $40 to mail a "free" replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Defective Hub Died being charged $40 to mail a "free" replacement

Insteon has admitted to me that they are aware that their hubs are defective which is why when mine died recently they offered to send me a replacement. The only catch is that they want to charge me $40 for shipping. The hub only costs $80 brand new! I am also not in a remote place I live in the 4th largest city in North America Toronto. I have purchased about $1,000 of insteon products to which only work with this hub and because of their defective product I have to spend a further $40 to be able to use them. Not to mention that all my devices have been down now for 3 weeks.

When I call customer service I am told that there is nothing they can do and that a manager will call me back (which never happens). I have even been hung up on !

Please forgive my rant but this has been one of the worst customer service and product experiences ever.

Yes, mine also failed after 2 years. I wish they would charge less for shipping to Canada. I will find out soon since I need to call them for a replacement because I already bought a new Hub ver 2.8. I like their system because I get my push notifications on my android cell very fast. (when cell is not in battery saving state)

Comment

If you have some minor soldering skills they honestly aren't too hard to repair yourself. I ordered the replacement capacitor on Amazon and had it two days later (prime shipping) for about $5 for a pack of 5. 10 minutes of desoldering and re-soldering and my Hub was back up and going.

Comment

It's not the size of city but the location. Crossing the border makes it intl regardless of size or country. If you have someone in the US you could have it shipped there for free and make arrangements with them.

Comment

So my Hub Model 2245-222 just died two nights ago. No lights, no signs of life, nothing. Seems like there is no phone number or any other way to call now? Is "leave us a message and we'll get back to you within 3-4 days" appropriate? Does anyone know if Alexa Plus with Hub controls our devices without the hub?

Comment

Originally posted by bokenrosie View Post
            So my Hub Model 2245-222 just died two nights ago. No lights, no signs of life, nothing. Seems like there is no phone number or any other way to call now? Is "leave us a message and we'll get back to you within 3-4 days" appropriate? Does anyone know if Alexa Plus with Hub controls our devices without the hub?
            bokenrosie I'd recommend following the instructions here to report your hub issue to Insteon: https://forum.insteon.com/forum/main...ering-on/page3

Sadly, Amazon's Echo Plus includes a radio to control Zigbee devices, but not Insteon.

Comment

Hello every one I am new to this forum but I’ll try to make this as simple as possible when it comes to insteon hub not responding. I have sold more than twenty insteon kits and more/less 15 of them have gone bad, including mine. Up to now by just replacing the C7 capacitor has resolved the issue. The value of capacitor I use is 100uf 50v. If you do not know how to solder electronics, find someone that does and tell them to replace C7 capacitor. Easier than to return product or have to reprogram all your devices. Hope this helps because I know the frustration, especially when customers call because of insteon hub I recommended.

Comment

When I say insteon hub not responding, I mean completely dead, no sign of life.

Comment

Working...
                X