Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Apple HomeKit with Insteon HomeKit hub, accessories "not responding"

Hey Insteon team,

Everything was working fine until about a month ago (maybe the iOS 11.3 release?) but now when I open HomeKit most accessories read "not accessible". It is actually not true because when I hold down my finger on one of them in the app, it refreshes to show it's state.
    I have restarted the hub, I have unplugged it and plugged it back, nothing helps.
    Also when I use an other app like the iDevices app or the EVE app, all accessories show correctly.

A HomeKit bug??

Let me know, thanks.

This is a peer to peer forum. You may want to contact insteon support directly as they are not always on here reading every post.

Comment

I have the same issue. "no response" status on all insteon devices in home kit even though the scenes and automation actually works. This issue was flagged way back in 2016 and I don't know if it was ever fixed. I just purchased the insteon pro hub 2243-222 so I can't say if it is related to the 11.3 release. Any idea how to fix this? Any new firmware has been released for this hub?

Comment

One thing you can try would be to have the HOME app open up to a specific room instead of the favorites page. If you setup a room in the HOME app and have between 3-13 Insteon devices in that room, the statuses should show up correctly without user input. Generally speaking, when you have more than 13 devices in a room it can cause status issues. The HOME app should automatically open up to the last room you were interacting with, so as long as that isn't the Favorites page, it should help.

Comment

• jhdick01
          jhdick01 commented
          Editing a comment
          I've had the same issue and have noticed as well that when I go into a specific room, the status shows correctly. I hadn't considered this was an issue due to the number of devices in my favorites list.

I just updated my iPad to 11.3.1 (latest OS update) and re-tested the fix, still working for me.

Comment

Originally posted by cdawe View Post
          I just updated my iPad to 11.3.1 (latest OS update) and re-tested the fix, still working for me.
          I have barely more than 6 devices at the most per room, so that’s not the issue.
          and like I said previously, this started in the last couple months, it would refresh and show the status of the devices just fine before.
          Im also wondering if the hub needs a firmware update?

Comment

• jhdick01
            jhdick01 commented
            Editing a comment
            I've had this issue to one extent or another for the past two years. I've never had an issue with the Hub 2 that I have a bunch of cameras and sensors on. I wish that Insteon would move HomeKit support to the Hub 2. They don't have to have special hardware now. I may be making it simpler than it really is, but my understanding is they could integrate with software now and bring their full line into HomeKit.

still does not work for me either. whichever page i open the home app into, the device shows as no response. it is extremely upsetting as i just purchased the hub and have my house loaded with insteon devices that do not respond to homekit. Has insteon gave up on the homekit platform? it certainly looks like it given that no firmware has been released since 2015! it is shameful for insteon to keep selling the hub pro when the have de-facto abandoned the homekit platform and with it the customers who trusted them. I hope I am wrong but it certainly looks like it. i have asked support for help and the best I got so far is "make sure your phone is on the same wifi network than your hub".... i could barely believe it... reading through the blogs it seems the issue is a "group request" feature in homekit that insteon did not think deserve to be implemented in the hub pro. basically below 10 device, homekit send a request for each devices but above that number it send the request for device status by group of 10 devices. As a result if you have less than 10 devices you will not see the "no response" bug but if you have more, you are out of luck. i also see that insteon is not listed in the apple homekit compatibility list which i wish i had seen before running into the ground and buying all those insteon devices. It seems to me it is irresponsible for insteon to stop developing for homekit. All manufacturers are now developing for the 3 platforms (goog, apple and alexa) and homekit can now approve devices with a firmware update (no more dedicated chip needed). INSTEON IF YOU READ THIS WAKE UP AND GET TO WORK. THERE IS HUNDRED OF THOUSANDS OF CUSTOMERS THAT FEELS ABUSED AND DUPPED AND CAN'T SWITCH TO COMPETITORS BECAUSE THEIR ALL HOUSE IS ALREADY WIRED. IT WILL TAKE 2 DEVELOPPERS FOR A WEEK TO UPDATE THE FIRMWARE OF THE HUB PRO. JUST DO THE RIGHT THING PLEASE!

Comment

I have removed a scene containing most of my light switches to be turned off at 11pm, and that fixed the problem. I’m guessing it’s either a bug in HomeKit or a bug with Insteon and one of my devices.
            if I can isolate the issue I’ll keep everyone updated.

Comment

I have now isolated the issue to one light switch, which when included in a scene automation renders the display status to all other devices as “not responding” throughout all the rooms (except for devices that aren’t Insteon, like a on/off switch from Elgato).
              thats it!

actually after further testing, it seems that more than one switch is causing the issue, and I just can’t seem to figure out which one, but once I delete the scene all together, it resolve it.
              Last edited by Craignos; 05-05-2018, 08:33 AM.

Comment

I used to see this issue all the time. I didn’t really notice when it started working correctly, but other than keeping all software and firmware up to date the only other thing that happened is I wiped out and reinstalled all of my devices using the “new” old manual procedure, pressing buttons instead of using the app. I noticed that many devices require that you do the button press twice, I assume enabling communication in BOTH directions. Would it cause the issue if the procedure was done in only one direction?

Comment

Originally posted by Craignos View Post
                  Hey Insteon team,

Everything was working fine until about a month ago (maybe the iOS 11.3 release?) but now when I open HomeKit most accessories read "not accessible". It is actually not true because when I hold down my finger on one of them in the app, it refreshes to show it's state.
                  I have restarted the hub, I have unplugged it and plugged it back, nothing helps.
                  Also when I use an other app like the iDevices app or the EVE app, all accessories show correctly.

A HomeKit bug??io games

Let me know, thanks.
                  Me too, they all show "unreachable". I've tried resetting my device, checking for updates and wiping the memory card but nothing seems to work.

Comment

Make sure your HomeKit hub is up and running and connecting to your Wi-Fi network. You can try connecting to the Wi-Fi network again slither io or try using a different network to see if the problem is resolved.

Comment

You can try resetting your HomeKit configuration. This involves removing and re-adding your accessories to HomeKit. To do this, open the Home app, go to the Home tab, tap the location icon in the upper-left corner, and then tap on Home Settings > Remove Home. This will reset your HomeKit configuration, and you'll need to re-add your devices.

Comment

Working...
                      X