Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Insteon Hub 2242-222 blinking red light

Hi,

A couple of days ago my insteon Hub 2242-222 stopped working. Now it just blink the red led and do not connect to the network. Power cycling it give the same result. The network reset procedure doesn't work. I have read the capacitor fix for the 2245-222 model, have someone experience the same issue with the 2242-222 hub? Thanks.

Several users have experienced that issue. That's why the fix was posted.
    Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
    Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

I have not done any HUBs but the 2242-222 also has a switching power supply in it. You probably have a capacitor or two going bad.
      The silk screened C designations may not match the designations in the 2245-222 photos.
      The values may give you a clue. The newer HUB may have a higher rated voltage on the capacitors. If they physically fit. Using a higher rated voltage should be fine.
      I have a list of C numbers and values for both models if you have questions. I maybe able to look at the 2242-222 and see what each does.

Comment

Originally posted by BLH View Post
        I have not done any HUBs but the 2242-222 also has a switching power supply in it. You probably have a capacitor or two going bad.
        The silk screened C designations may not match the designations in the 2245-222 photos.
        The values may give you a clue. The newer HUB may have a higher rated voltage on the capacitors. If they physically fit. Using a higher rated voltage should be fine.
        I have a list of C numbers and values for both models if you have questions. I maybe able to look at the 2242-222 and see what each does.
        Thanks for the info, when I looked at the board they seem similar, at least on the power supply area, just wanted to confirm just in case. C7 and C13 seems to match the description. Attached some photos for reference.
        You do not have permission to view this gallery.
        This gallery has 4 photos.

Comment

C7 and C13 47uF/35V where the ones I was thinking about.
          The FCC Database photos show a LNK306GN switching supply chip.
          If possible I would get a capacitor rated to be in a switching power supply {low ESR} and 105 Degree C temperature rating.

Comment

Thanks for the info, will update the post after receiving the parts and attempting the fix.

Comment

Can confirm that replacing C7 capacitor with a 47uf 50v fixed the issue. Thanks for the help.

Comment

I would like to thank the forum for saving me a lot of time and money. With a couple of dollars and 30 minute I replaced the 2 capacitors. My hub is now back in business. My only comment is if you are not use to soldering small components this could be a challenge.

Comment

We can create the #2242redfixedtoo ;-))
                  Same for me. 2242 European working for 5 years...suddenly red flashing. Repaired changing the 2 caps (don't botter to check which one failed), 15 cts Euro cost (0.15 EUR)...and some time desoldering double side circuit holes...even if used to.
                  Thanks Forum!

PS I always advice my friends to buy quality hardware (computers and so) because they use high quality caps mainly! It's a pitty to lose a high cost laptop just because a cap failing. As experience in one of the Cos I was IT manager and bought professional Dell laptops after 9 years they still works...ASUS domestic and similars bought by others failed after 2-3 years

Comment

I know this is an older post, but I had the same issues on my 2242-222 hub and replacing C7 and C13 fixed it. Thanks!

Comment

I've got an open trouble ticket with Insteon about this as well about the red light on a 2 year 10 month old hub. They have spent 2 days and several emails telling me to do steps I've already done (which I told them in the first email). I never soldered anything in my life before and my hands aren't as steady nor my eyesight as good as when I was young, is it tough to do? Thanks!

Comment

Thanx guys, my 2242-422 (EU) gave up on me, same issue. Due to the support and progression from Insteon I already took steps in the way of KNX. About to switch over with pain in my heart. At the last minute I saw this post. Just ordered me some caps each €0,17 ct, €6,00 shipping costs though... hahahah. All sounds very promising Definitely worth a try.

Comment

Me2. C7 replacement fixed my hub that had been running 24/7 for over 7 years. Thanks

Comment

Great instructions! Last week my 2242 hub started flashing red after almost 10 years of 24/7 operation (started installing Insteon switches and controllers in 2013 and have added to it through the years). And I don’t want to upgrade to the newer hub because it doesn’t support various sensors I’ve installed over time. The capacitor replacement has restored my hub and everything is working just like before it died. Since I was already opening it up I figured might as well replace both caps. Thanks everyone!

I’m really glad the new owners revived the company and I hope they can make it thrive.
                            Last edited by AJN; 12-10-2022, 07:54 PM.

Comment

My hub was flashing red and of course, I was unable to log into the Insteon app I'm so glad I came across this thread on how to fix my hub without having to go and buy a new one and I have to take the time to re-introduce all the devices that I have which would be a real pain - I replaced cap C7 only - Thankyou so much, everyone! I’m also thrilled the new owners revived the company and I hope they can make it thrive. Long live Insteon!

Comment

Working...
                              X