Hub Pro and Apple HomeKit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hub Pro and Apple HomeKit

I can't believe I kept my Insteon Hob Pro HomeKit enabled (2243-222) for a couple year in my drawer until my interface for the Indigo software died. That's when I pulled my Hub Pro and gave it an other try.

Quite surprisingly, it does work, and all I need to run my devices is to have it plugged in my wireless router (Apple Extreme).
    Yes, adding or removing devices is done manually, and yes it's painful (mind you running up and down stairs burns calorie!).
    But all is controlled in the Apple Home app, and so far it does work pretty well. It's not perfect, far from it, but at least device names and devices themselves stay in the Apple app without disappearing on their own like it used to be. So I don't know where the improvement came from, Apple or Insteon, but it works.

Having said that, I do wish Apple (and even Google on their side) would extend the automation level a notch so we could, for instance, add the ability to start a timer on a device state.
    For instance, when I turn on a light, I wish I could trigger a timer on that device for it to self-turn off after a certain time period.

I also wish I could check on which firmware my Hub Pro is, and especially, that I could remove or add devices with their ID number via the Homekit app. That blows my mind it is impossible! Guys!!

If someone at Insteon could enlighten me on that, that would be great!
    Don't give up on Apple please!

Cheers.

I'm really glad to hear that the HomeKit hub is behaving better these days. I've been trying to score one second hand. I'm not willing to pay full price for one since it's unclear what Insteon is going to do with this device going forward. A few thoughts:
    • iOS 11 added the ability for HomeKit automations to include "end events" that occur after a period of time. So a light could go off a period of time after it turns on. The trick is finding an application that actually implements it. Since you can create automations in pretty much any HomeKit compatible app that supports them, you're not beholden to Apple's limited implementation. The only app I'm aware of that supports this is the iDevices app. When you create a trigger in this app, you can specify an end time. I've attached screen captures of an example that works.
    • As for adding or removing Insteon devices from a HomeKit app—I don't think that will ever be possible. As far as HomeKit is concerned, the only thing it's really "paired" to is that hub. Pretty much all of the hubs and bridges work this way with HomeKit. The hub or bridge has to recognize the device before it will show up in HomeKit apps.
    I hope some of this is helpful. I'm really glad I saw this post. I hadn't followed up on the end time thing since hearing about it, so now I'm inspired to write something up about it!
    IMG_1491.PNGIMG_1490.PNG

Comment

Yes! That’s awesome, can’t wait to play with the iDevice. App. Their devices looks top notch too, just over priced!
      where I’m having issues right now is with the pairing between dimmer light switches. Pretty much all 3 ways in my house give the hub issues. They show up but one switch over rides the other and HomeKit gets confused! Any thoughts on that? I’ve re-initialized each switch, paired them again... still not working great.

Lets get this HomeKit crap rolling! Lol.

Comment

Is that what i’m Supposed to do? Secondary tells the primary what to do? So would I only link the secondary switch to the hub? I think I’ve tried everything but maybe not in the right order. I’ve grouped both in HK, but if manually turned off, the action isn’t reflected in HK .
        Very frustrating not being able to see the links created in the switches. I also have to mention that my switches were bought in 2013, and so they are the old 2477D either 600 or 1000W. I have no green or red light, just the white lights.

Please let me know the order of linkage!

Comment

SEE DIAGRAM BELOW!

SO after re-initializing a 3-way switches, here are my findings:
          Switch A (primary), Switch B (secondary).
          I manually cross-linked the 2 by holding down the top of each switches by linking the B to the A first. It works: both switches control the lights and each other.

I manually added the secondary switch B to the hub pro. The hub then controls switch B, but doesn't turn on the light
          I manually added the primary switch A to the hub pro, the hub controls switch A without controling B but because it's the primary controler, it obviously turns on the lights.
          So I end up grouping the 2 accessories in HomeKit, and then it gives the illusion that they are controlled properly, and each tap on the either switch is reflected in the app.

switches diagram.png
          Last edited by Craignos; 03-03-2018, 10:11 AM.

Comment

I would also like to add that the Insteon HomeKit web page is outdated since it shows how to set up the hub and devices through the Insteon + app not supported by the hub anymore:
            http://www.insteon.com/insteon-hub-homekit

Referring to the 1 year old most up to date quick start guide (and phone support I received):
            http://www.insteon.com/support-knowl...ck-start-guide

Comment

If the primary and secondary switches are linked to each other as both a controller and a responder, then they will also control each other. That's called cross-linking.
              Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
              Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

Originally posted by stusviews View Post
                If the primary and secondary switches are linked to each other as both a controller and a responder, then they will also control each other. That's called cross-linking.
                Yes indeed, but when the HomeKit app tells the secondary switch to turn on, the LEDs go up, but it doesn’t control the primary switch who has power over the Lights. But if I press on the secondary switch itself then it works. Any idea why?

Comment

That's the expected behavior, no matter which Insteon manager you use. Controlling the primary switch using an Insteon manager such as a Hub operates only the primary switch, not any of its links. Controlling the secondary switch using an Insteon manager does the same, it operates only the secondary switch, not any of its links.

To do otherwise can lead to an infinite loop. If you want to control more than one Insteon device concurrently, then you must control a scene that has all those device as members, not just one device.

In other words, if you control only one device, then only that one, singular device will respond.
                  Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
                  Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

Alright, good to know all of that! I appreciate you guys shinning some light on this (pardon the pun)!

Comment

Working...
                    X