Insteon Hub connection Issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Insteon Hub connection Issues

Lately in the last few months my hub is having trouble connecting to the servers ( red light) or the app connecting to the hub ( says no connection or I get the yellow dot by devices) and it seems to be totally random. Does this seem to be related to any firmware issue because when I first got the hub it was working great but new it gives me fits. If I unplug it and wait and replug it in, it works for a while but then slowly starts to get flakey. Even when it gets flaky if I try opening and closing the app over and over after a few times it starts to respond fine.

I have a friend who's experiencing the exact same issue. Support told him there’s new firmware coming out soon—the back end team is working on it. Not sure what to make of that. So...does that mean a prior firmware upgrade caused the issue?

Comment

Based on the firmware release page I found it really looks like it was a firmware they released that caused the issue. Because the latest update was released on december 18 and that seems about right from when it started having issue.

Comment

I am having the same exact problem. I have updated to the latest firmware (1014) and my hub will stop responding, light turns red device status is yellow, and hub beeps. I had a spare hub that I had never connected, tonight I connected that hub, updated the firmware and started adding devices and it started behaving the exact same way. Is there a flaw in the firmware?

Comment

My HUB is not working as of this morning, 3/7. I got an email on 2/27 stating the update roll out would start this week. Red light displayed on the front of the HUB. Ethernet connection active, ping okay. The Android app, Windows 10 app and Alexia cannot communicate with the HUB. I am speculating my pool automation will not communicate at start up time, I'll know that in a few hours.

It would be nice if Insteon would send out an email stating OOPS, we are on it.
          Last edited by RPSalty; 03-07-2018, 07:08 AM.

Comment

3/9 - Late entry. HUB is working, no rhyme or reason. I waited to see if the pool pump would turn on and I contacted tech support via email. The pool turned on at time and I had an prompt email response from tech support. Tech support originally instructed me to try a series of checks. But after I replied the HUB was now responding, tech support advised the checks were not necessary. And pretty much get over the RED led, it might go away with the next update.

My HUB is running 1013. Since I don't know if it was running 1014 when malfunctioning and got rolled back due to my query, I'll just sit back and enjoy my time without troubleshooting as instructed. It's all about good Karma!

Comment

Well as of today, mine is still not working. I too emailed support with my troubles on the 7th and have not yet heard back. RPSalty glad you got your stuff working, I would probably be fine if I could get back to 1013.

Comment

Shawnyo, just curious, did you email via the support page and fill in a form that included the insteon hub id?

Comment

RPSalty No- just emailed support@insteon.com

Comment

Try using the Insteon Support Email page. It creates an in house message with the info about your hub. I'm not saying this method will expedite but it might.

Comment

Mine is also still doing it. It seems a little better on 1014 compared to 1013 but still has a lot of issues and sometimes it will not even send out alerts like garage door is open and such which really makes me question buying anymore security sensors till they fix it.

Comment

Is anyone having problems with their hub running FW 1015? My hub was fine until FW 1015 was pushed to it. Now, the hub's a useless paperweight. When first powered up it seems to work fine. The app connects to it, and I can turn control any of my Insteon devices in the usual way. But within a few minutes the hub becomes unresponsive to the app. In fact, the app won't even open because it can't communicate with the hub. At this point the hub's light may be green, or it may be red. Sometimes it passes its diagnostic test (2 taps on the button, wait 1 second, then tap again), and sometimes the diagnostic tests don't run at all. A network reset (3 quick taps on the button) doesn't resolve the problem. Sometimes, it won't even do a network reset - pushing the button does absolutely nothing at all. The hub just sits there. In addition, even though the hub can't communicate over my network, it's programmed schedules sometimes work. But then, inevitably, the schedules stop working too. The light sometimes is red and sometimes green when this happens. There's seemingly no rhyme nor reason to what the hub is doing or not doing. It's driving me nuts, and Insteon support is unhelpful. After several days of bugging them, they told me my case was upgraded to level 2 support (whatever that is). And late last week, after still nothing had been done to resolve the problem, I called back and was told my case is being upgraded to the developers (whoever they are). Still, after about 10 or 11 days of calling support, my hub is still not working and Insteon isn't telling me why or when it will be fixed. They will not roll it back to FW 1014 (I asked). They won't send me a replacement hub (I asked for that, too). The most they've told me is that others are having the same problem I am. Small consolation. So - is anyone else having a FW 1015 issue?

Comment

I am having similar problems with FW 1015. The app fails to connect to the hub and Alexa is unable to communicate with it. The hub passes the diagnostic test. I have done the network reset, reinstalled the app, and cycled power to the hub. Hopefully this will be fixed soon.

Comment

Yeah I am still having issues. Why can't they fix it? With 1015 it was good for a while but now it is back to not connecting. At least the schedules work.

Comment

Try some things that may help like:

Ensure that your Insteon Hub is connected to a working power outlet and Ethernet cable is firmly connected.

If your Hub shows a solid red status LED, it means your Hub is unable to connect to the internet.

Confirm that your internet router and cable or modem are connected to power and turned on.

Comment

Working...
                              X