Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Extremely disapointed in Insteons apparent lack of commitment to the Windows platform

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Extremely disapointed in Insteons apparent lack of commitment to the Windows platform

Back in November of last year I reported to support the issues with both phone and tablet versions of the Windows app. In December I purchased 2 new HD Outdoor camera's which of course we now all know will not work within the Insteon Windows app. I reported this and was "assured" that a fix would be coming soon,. For the past 4 months, I have been emailing support every other week asking for updates. Always with the same response, we are continuing to work on the problem. Today I again sent an update request. I was told that a new app would be available within the next 2 weeks. Now they are blaming MSFT Store for the delay. I asked why there was no beta program which I had also been asking regularly over the last 3 months, I was told it was over and to take part I should be following this forum. THIS FORUM? I cannot find a single post from anyone from the company providing any information at all to us. We help each other but I dont see any help from them. This just plain pisses me off that support would send people here to join a beta program that doesnt even exist. I'll get off my soap box now.

Main problem is on the Microsoft side. They just start pushing updates to 8.1 GDR2 for phones, (they add support for MKV video) for us it means support for HD cameras, but so far there is just few devices.

Comment

Originally posted by lachutm View Post
      Main problem is on the Microsoft side. They just start pushing updates to 8.1 GDR2 for phones, (they add support for MKV video) for us it means support for HD cameras, but so far there is just few devices.
      How exactly do you think this problem is on the Microsoft side? What does GDR2 have to do with one of the worst designed WP apps I have ever seen? A TOTAL lack of communication from Insteon? And ZERO updates to the app to fix even the most minor problem for the last 6+ months? How are ANY of those things Microsoft's fault?

I desperately want Insteon to work, and work well with the Windows platform. But I have to agree with the OP, at this point Insteon is giving the impression that this is abandonware that is never going to work properly.

I've said it elsewhere, but I'll say it again. I've got multiple devices running both WP8.1, Win 8.1, Win10 and the TP10 for WP. If you want someone to help beta test whatever you're working on, I'd be more than happy to help.

Comment

I was just pointing situation when Insteon iven if they trying to write new version of the software, there is no one who can use that. WP 8.1 GDR2 ver. 8.10.15116.125 bring finally support for MKV videos, in theory we can have support for HD cameras, but only if Insteon decide to write software. At this day we have officially few devices, both New Lumias 640 and 640XL, BLU Win HD. Unofficially there is more devices that are hacked and upgraded. My Samsung ATIV S has a ver 8.10.15148.160. But more possible scenario is that we probably going to have to wait till Windows 10 Phone edition devices start selling. Microsoft have to push those updates to more devices, and most important Windows and Windows Phone platform must be more popular because is still to far behind Android and Apple.

Comment

That is some logic you have there. Advertise you support a platform, get consumers to buy your product, deliver a broken experience, and then blame the users, that there is not enough of them to live up to your original promise? I"m pretty darn sure there are more Windows 8 users (300+million last time I looked) than the 1 million or so that have bought an Apple Watch. And yet, I'll betcha the Apple Watch Insteon app isn't broken, and if it was, they wouldn't leave it broken for more than 6 months.

Comment

If Insteon would sign up for the Project Astoria/Islandwood and Platform Bridge toolkits (which are in beta right now, but will be RTM soon. And they can sign up through connect.microsoft.com if they had a clue), they could take the existing iOS or Android app and port it to Windows/Windows Phone with a ton less work or rewriting code, plus it would improve their image and provide a much better experience with a lot less frustration for their own dev team at the same time.

Comment

It's really not that hard to manage expectations and to be honest and forthcoming. It appears insteon is just interested in selling hardware. So they advertise all this compatibility and fail to deliver. Oh well, you've paid for it. That's the feeling I am given.

Comment

Working...
              X