Insteon for Hub Connection Limitations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Insteon for Hub Connection Limitations

My daughter has a vacation home where I recently installed a Hub that supports several SwichLincs and a Insteon Thermostat for remote control as well as a Foscam 720p camera. Several family members use the Insteon for Hub iOS app to monitor and manage the house remotely. Though it is rare that we cannot connect to the Hub at all, occasionally, the camera stream doesn't come through and the Insteon device status loading may be slow. I do know the bandwidth for the WiFi cable router is low - 1.5Mb per the rural cable contract. I also know that WiFi Internet connectivity is used regularly by occupants when they are there and Hub access is more problematic then. These problems generally clear up at night. My first thought is that the hub uplink is overwhelmed when these problems occur. However, it also occurs to me that more than one iOS app may be trying to connect at the same time. Is more than a single client connection possible? If so, does it increase the uplink bandwidth required?

I think the camera stream uses a lot of the uplink bandwidth, would reducing the frame rate significantly help? We'd like to keep the image quality high. Any other suggestions?

As you stated if your ISP bandwidth is already limited you're fighting a uphill battle from the onset. As you indicated you can set the FPS, 1080 vs 720, type of image H.264 vs MPEG4, and see if there is a difference.

You can not have concurrent viewing connections and expect anything meaningful to be seen given the above limitations.
    Want to make a real difference? Please cast your vote to make the PLM Pro a reality: http://forum.insteon.com/forum/main-...t/8221-plm-pro

Comment

Originally posted by EVIL Teken View Post
      As you stated if your ISP bandwidth is already limited you're fighting a uphill battle from the onset. As you indicated you can set the FPS, 1080 vs 720, type of image H.264 vs MPEG4, and see if there is a difference.

You can not have concurrent viewing connections and expect anything meaningful to be seen given the above limitations.
      Thanks for your guidance EVIL Teken, you've confirmed my bandwidth limitation notions. I plan to reduce the FPS significantly and leave the 720p resolution and H.264 encoding alone. The systems seems to recover well when bandwidth is available so I will warn the users about concurrent logins.

Comment

It should also be noted *ideally* security camera systems should be placed on another subnet to bolster access, security, and network traffic. In Enterprise installations a segmented network which also runs on a isolated network is used. This is to ensure high bandwidth video will not impact the users for communications and basic web access.

This same premise should be used in a home environment as the benefits are quite obvious.
        Want to make a real difference? Please cast your vote to make the PLM Pro a reality: http://forum.insteon.com/forum/main-...t/8221-plm-pro

Comment

Working...
        X