Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does device status display correctly in your app?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does device status display correctly in your app?

Is anyone else seeing a problem with the new Insteon app reflecting accurate device status. As one example, when I start the app in the Favorites room, I'll have 5-6 devices that show status as "On" (green). However, in reality, none of these are on. Clicking on any of these devices will go to that device page whereupon the status updates immediately to off (grey), accurately reflecting the status. Returning to the Favorites room now correctly shows the device as off.

However, if I leave the app and return, all the incorrect status's will be back. I've tried clearing the app cache, force stopping the app and deleting the app data. But once I log in again, all the incorrect status data is back. It seems that this data is stored in the server somewhere and isn't getting updated.

All device status is displayed correctly when using the old app.

I am seeing exactly what you describe.

Comment

Did either of you perform any capacitor changes on your Hub unit or send it in for repair?

Comment

Not me.

PJL, do you have your Insteon linked to another service (like Alexa or Google Assistant)? I'm wondering if there is a cause there as the incorrect status's are reflected in Google Home for me too.

Comment

This is probably tied back to a corrupted data table. This would be typical when the hub dies and has a cap replaced, but could be tied back to a power surge as well depending on severity.

The two apps use a different means of status:
          The old app force states devices one a time, hence why on launch you'll see the devices statuses pop one by one.
          The new app relies on a status cache. If the hub is not properly looking for the devices in question, then they would not update. They would however pull status if you navigated to the device page, as that will force status.

A quick test could be go go to the tile page, pick a device, and manually turn it on and off. if it's properly configured in the Hub's link table then you should see it update in real time.
          If not, then try removing and readding that device, and see if that corrects it.

This should also correct the Google / Amazon issue
          Last edited by DanP; 12-29-2020, 01:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DanP View Post
            This is probably tied back to a corrupted data table. This would be typical when the hub dies and has a cap replaced, but could be tied back to a power surge as well depending on severity.

The two apps use a different means of status:
            The old app force states devices one a time, hence why on launch you'll see the devices statuses pop one by one.
            The new app relies on a status cache. If the hub is not properly looking for the devices in question, then they would not update. They would however pull status if you navigated to the device page, as that will force status.

A quick test could be go go to the tile page, pick a device, and manually turn it on and off. if it's properly configured in the Hub's link table then you should see it update in real time.
            If not, then try removing and readding that device, and see if that corrects it.

This should also correct the Google / Amazon issue
            I did not have any issues with my existing hub. It is the newest model. The hub IS properly seeing all devices properly. What would be other indications that a device is "...properly configured in the Hub's link table?" It does update when manually turning it on an off, but then relaunching the app the status is incorrect again.

This issue did NOT occur prior to the latest update to the new app. The doesn't the hub have the correct device data table if the devices in question respond to commands from Alexa, the old app, and Windows app commands in all cases, which link to the devices through the hub? And when you "update the house configuration" using the old app doesn't it pull that information from query to the cloud database that gets the data from the hub? I would be surprised if that update to the cloud account occurred directly to a device and not just to the hub.

Please explain more.

Comment

Originally posted by eagle77 View Post
              Not me.

PJL, do you have your Insteon linked to another service (like Alexa or Google Assistant)? I'm wondering if there is a cause there as the incorrect status's are reflected in Google Home for me too.
              I do use Alexa, and "she" shows the correct status for all devices on our Echo Show device screens. Now interestingly when the "problem" devices are initially shown their status is wrong. But Alexa apparently gets and update in real time and they then show the correct status. And when this happened I checked the "new" app and the status for the devices was suddenly correct. Upon app relaunch the status remained correct.

So maybe the Alexa skill updated something in real-time and then the new app showed the correct status. I'm not expecting this to last. My experience with the new app has been far less than satisfying.

NOTE: See later post on this experience.
              Last edited by PJL; 12-29-2020, 04:51 PM.

Comment

What happens if you remove and readd a device?
                Does that correct this for that device?

Comment

Dan, as PJL, describes, and I did initially , when you move from tile page to device page, the status does update and updates correctly. Going back to the tile page then shows correct status. But it does not "stick". Restarting the app later reverts the devices to incorrect status.

FWIW, we have had several power fails recently due to ice storms. Also, FYI, I am a beta tester so using the latest beta app.

Knowing about the cached configuration table helps. Is there any way to forcea rebuild of the table? I have close to 50 devices. I haven't clearly identified all the ones showing the problem, and deleting and reading would be laborious given the need to hit set buttons all over, especially with several in difficult to access locations

Comment

Originally posted by DanP View Post
                    What happens if you remove and readd a device?
                    Does that correct this for that device?
                    Trying now...

With the one device I deleted/re-added, yes, it appears to have fixed the problem. Ask before, any way to rebuild the table short of figuring out which devices are incorrect and doing the re-add process?
                    Last edited by eagle77; 12-29-2020, 02:48 PM.

Comment

Perhaps related, perhaps not, but I've also been having problems with my sensor devices. They would not show status or trigger correctly. I deleted and re-added those and they worked fine for about a week, then reverted to the bad state again (albeit we also had power issues during this time again)

Comment

Those with Alexa may review my post earlier on what happened when Alexa updated the device status through the Alexa app. The status thereafter was correct in the new (Android) app UNTIL I turned one of the "problem" switches by using the app and then turned it off at the switch itself. The status was incorrect at that point until I turned off the device with Alexa (remember, the device was already off) at which time the app updated the status.

There is clearly something in the device status architecture that is not working reliably with the new app.
                        Last edited by PJL; 12-29-2020, 04:49 PM.

Comment

This would again tied back to the referenced issue.

Alexa controlling a device is the same as controlling it directly from the app, since they access the same back end system..

As referenced by eagle77 removing the device in question and readding it corrects the issue for him. That would rebuild anything broken in the table for the device in question. Unfortunately there would be no way to batch rebuild this.

Comment

Would the solution here of removing and re-adding fix issues with the schedule not working correctly? It was working fine with the newest iOS app until the latest FW update.

Comment

Working...
                            X