Android App Camera and Microphone Permissions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Android App Camera and Microphone Permissions

Under Android Phone Settings, Apps, Application Manager, INSTEON, Permissions, the application V1.9.6 asks for permission to use the phone's Camera, Location, Microphone, and Storage. I can understand the app requiring phone Storage. I can see uses for the app wanting know the phone's location. But I do not understand why the app needs access to the phone's camera nor microphone. I don't talk to the Insteon app on the phone. I don't want INSTEON to be able to here what I'm saying. Nor do I want INSTEON to be able to access my phone nor laptop camera.

Is there a genuine reason for Insteon App requesting use of the phone's camera and microphone? I do not have an Insteon Camera in my system.

Thank you.
    Last edited by KSanger; 05-26-2017, 08:34 AM. Reason: Added Tags

That was just part of the general onboarding for cameras. If you don't have a camera there is no need to accept.

Comment

Depending on which edition of the Android app you have, but generally ...
      • The phone camera permission is required for scanning the Hub QR code during Hub setup, scanning Insteon camera QR code during camera setup. If you manually type in the configuration information then you don't need this. It is also required for setting/changing Hub location by dropping a pin on the Map (a feature in Insteon for Hub but not the latest edition of the app I believe). Navigation of the map uses the Google Services Camera API
      • Location permission is tied to changing Hub location for the app to auto-detect your current location. You can just manually type in the location if you don't want the app to retrieve it.
      • Microphone permission is only needed if you have Insteon cameras and wanted to speak through a camera.

Comment

Working...
      X