Very slow connection/startup and Does not restore from background

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Very slow connection/startup and Does not restore from background

The Android app has had this problem for the last several versions on my LG G Pad and my LG G3. Both with Android 5

1. When starting the app while inside my house (on my home WiFi) it takes at least 30 seconds for the app to get connected to my HUB and allow me to do anything. However, if I switch to mobile data, kill the app, then restart it works super fast. If I kill it again and go back to WiFi it again take 30 seconds to load. My home Internet is fine, I stream HD video daily via Netflix, Vudu, etc.
    Just did the test now, very long load time of INSTEON App on WiFi, instant load time on mobile
    Speedtest.net on my home Internet at this moment:
    38 - 55 Mbps Down
    4.55 Mbps Up
    16ms ping

2. If the app was previously opened and then left in the background for more than a couple hours it will open quickly and act as if it is going to work. However, when I try to turn something off/on it will fail to send the command and then flip back to the login screen where I have to enter the password. If I kill the app and restart then it will auto login (then it takes 1 minute as stated above) then it will work.

I am experienced with app beta testing and I know all the exercises of clearing data, uninstalling, reinstalling, rebooting phone, and so on. Nothing helps, it may work great for a day, but then it gets slow again and it never restores from the background correctly after a couple hours.

LG G3 Android 5.0.1 (latest available update)
    LG G Pad Android 5.0.2 (latest available update)
    INSTEON App Version 1.8.1 (fstage)
    HUB Version 5685 - 1F.66.94
    iPhone 6s iOS 9.3.2 - Insteon 1.13.1 Build 317
    LG G3 Android 5.1.1 - Insteon Stage App 1.8.9 Build 210
    LG G Pad Android 5.1.1 - Insteon Stage App 1.8.9 Build 210
    No Root, No Jailbreak, all device completely stock

Stage Hub2-V04 FW 5697

twherion1202 can you confirm your hub version once again. We show you updated and currently running v5686. Are you will experiencing this issue?

Comment

• twherion1202
      twherion1202 commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes, it seems now it is updated, that could been a typo as well. I thought I had checked on all the announced FW updates and that the latest one had been applied about a month ago.

I have been months battling this slow login issue but in the last 36 hours it does seem to be working much better. Did you push another update to my Hub?

Thanks.

Here is the issue I'm still having:

I typically use the app only at night, when going to bed. I use it turn all the lights in the house off.
    However, if the app was still in the background from the previous night in never restores properly.
    I tap the shortcut and "appears" to open fine.
    But the second I try to turn a scene off/on it craps out and goes back to the login screen where it wants my password.
    Even more strange, if I hit the back button it then automatically logs in.
    The first three steps of the login pass very quickly.
    But when it gets to the "connecting to hub" step it takes about 45 seconds to 1 minute to complete the process.
    Both my LG G3 and LG G Pad do the same thing.
    I just downloaded the latest app version that came out last week and it is doing the same thing.
    It is extremely consistent and gives me the exact same behavior every single time.
    The only way to prevent this from happening is to kill the app each night after I'm done using it.
    Then when I open it it works very quickly.

Stage Hub2-V04 FW 5697

Comment

So this issue was somewhat resolved in 1.8.3(187) but now is a complete disaster in in 1.8.4(189).

I did the force stop, clear data, and uninstall in the application manager and then went to the Hocky App to install the INSTEON app (as I always do when upgrading INSTEON).

And now if I leave the app in the background for just a couple hours and then try to use it will never work. I have to hit the back button several times until it goes to the login screen, then hit the back button again and it will login (which is frightening by itself, why would be asking for the password but then just hit back and just logs in without entering the password?)

Then it will usually take at least 30 seconds to login and then it will work that one time. But then an hour or two later I'll have to do that all over again to turn a light off.

Stage Hub2-V04 FW 5697

Comment

This is still not working.

If the app is in the background for more than a few hours it will act like it opens correctly, but if I try to activate a single device or scene it does nothing.

I have to kill the app and start it again every single day. No exception.

I have verified that I have the latest stage version available in hockey app.

Stage Hub2-V04 FW 5697

Comment

• BetaTestCoordinator
          BetaTestCoordinator commented
          Editing a comment
          Could you please provide us with more detailed information by filling out a trouble ticket? You may do so by going to http://www.insteon.com/beta . This will help provide our development team with the necessary information to address the issue. Thank you!

Any updates on this? I'm having similar problems. Most annoying is the frequent need to press back to the login screen and re-enter my password. This is needed when I attempt to control a device and nothing happens.

Comment

Originally posted by TFitzpatri8
          As a work-around until they sort this out, when you get to the login screen, hit the back button again. When I used previous versions of the app, if I had told it to save my credentials, that extra back step would log me back in without me needing to retype the login password.
          Back step saves so much time, just wish it could be fixed. Doesn't happen on my iOS devices.

HTC One M9 (android 5.1)
          HTC One M7 (android 5.0.2)
          Hub 2 Version 1009
          Last edited by mlehman; 02-04-2016, 04:14 PM.

Comment

speaking of iOS devices. how in the world do you get the stage app on iOS? i have hockeyapp and registered my iphone. but i can't find the iOS stage app.

Stage Hub2-V04 FW 5697

Comment

The Beta coordinator can take care of that for you.
              Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
              Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

Originally posted by mlehman View Post

Back step saves so much time, just wish it could be fixed. Doesn't happen on my iOS devices.

HTC One M9 (android 5.1)
                HTC One M7 (android 5.0.2)
                Hub 2 Version 1009
                I was out of town this weekend and had a very spotty connection. Almost everytime I turned on my phone the Insteon App was in the foreground and saying it lost it's connection. I clicked OK to retry but it would always fail - even if I had a connection. The only way to stop it was force quit. Very frustrating. Is there any timeline/plan to fix the android app connection issues?

Should mention that my M9 just got android 6.
                Last edited by mlehman; 02-24-2016, 01:24 PM.

Comment

I've found a work around. You need root access to run the powersaving app Greenify, this will hibernate the app automatically once you set it up, then insteon app is forced to reconnect, which it seems to do correctly now and acts just like the iOS app.

Comment

Working...
                  X