Deleting an item from a scene

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by drpuffypants View Post
    I have been experiencing this problem since I received my new hub 2. You will notice if you use force remove the devices are still linked to each other. All force remove does is remove it from being listed on the hub, it does not kill the link between the two.
    Yea, to truly be sure, you may want to remove them from the hub entirely and re add them as new devices.
    Unless you manually linked them you will not need to factory reset the devices.

Comment

Had the same exact issue where I could not unlink one of my plugin modules with my door open/close sensor. Ended up using the HouseLinc software to finally correct the issue. If you go under Tools ➜ Advanced ➜ Half-Link Report & Repair.

Screen Shot 2015-05-13 at 8.24.34 PM.png

Screen Shot 2015-05-13 at 8.25.14 PM.png

From there I was finally able to remove the link from the devices. I found this thread online and hope this leads other users in the right direction for weird issues like this.

Attached Files

Comment

Background:
        I'm having a similar problem that has continued to frustrate all of my attempts to fix it.
        I'm relatively new to Insteon. I started with the hub and dimmer kit that can be purchased from Costco. Later I added wall switches (std and switched loop varieties), Insteon bulbs, the Insteon camera, thermostat and a motion sensor. We control everything with the HUB app with our Samsung S5 phones.

Here's my problem...
        The motion sensor was originally placed in the garage and was linked to an Insteon bulb. This worked great for lighting up the garage for my wife who typically returns from work after dark. I wanted to carry the automation a step further by linking two lamp modules and a bulb to turn on when she returned home.
        I created a scene for this function. However, I did not realize that the motion sensor would send an "off" command to all the linked devices after it's timer ran down.
        Not a big deal I figured. I'll just unlink everything and try something different...WRONG!
        I attempted to delete the scene but none of the linked devices would remove. I selected "force remove" from the insteon app. Great! Everything unlinked. The next evening, my wife returns home late at night and all lights turn off once the motion sensor timed out.
        She lets me know and I promise to fix it...
        Hmmm, maybe some dead thinks I think. So I remove all the affected devices from their scenes, delete those scenes, delete all the affected devices from the hub and then re-add them to the hub and rebuild all my scenes. After all this work is done I test the system by tripping the motion sensor and waiting. Guess what? All the formerly linked devices shut off after the timer runs down.

Further research lead me to this thread. Here I've also learned that the "force remove" function is not just worthless, it's actually worse than worthless because it creates hidden half-links that appear to be impossible to remove

Following this revelation, I made another attempt to fix the system. I deleted the scene that controlled the garage light and performed a factory reset on the sensor. No joy....the household lights are still linked to the garage motion sensor. I prefer to call this a "phantom link" since it exists but there is no trace of it within the app.

Current state:
        As a work-around solution. I programmed the motion sensor to "on only". That has kind of solved the situation with the upstairs lights, but now the garage light has to be turned off manually after every use. So now my garage lighting is "half-automated".

Questions:
        There's the obvious one, how do I reset and unlink the damn motion sensor/controller.
        Will a factory reset of the hub clear all of these phantom links? Will a factory reset require me to reconfigure my camera?
        What is the point of the "force remove" function anyway? Does anyone know if this is an innate issue with the app or the hub?

I have been getting very frustrated with this whole adventure and I'm starting to seriously question whether this was a wise investment considering the amount of time a money spent for a less than satisfying experience.

Any help will be greatly appreciated and I thank you for it in advance.

Comment

In order to unlink the Inseon bulb, it MUST be in linking mode. Turn the bulb full on and unscrew it (or remove power). Wait 10 or more seconds even hours or days. When you are ready, screw the bulb in. The bulb will enter linking mode. You'll have about four minutes to unlink it.
          Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
          Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

OK. That makes sense. But how do I unlink the bulbs from the motion sensor? The scene that linked them previously has already been deleted.

Comment

You don't need the scene. Put the bulb into linking mode and follow the MS instructions (available on-line) for unlinking a device.
              Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
              Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

I tried this. Unfortunately, it did not work. The lights shut off again after 5 min. Also camera quit responding 48hrs ago. Looks like I'll be spending an hour on the Insteon support support line. If they tell me I need to factory reset the hub, I think I'm going to box it all up send it back and start over with another company.

Comment

Fast forward several years later... I cannot delete items from a scene.....

I don't think Insteon has any developers.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Coverstone View Post
                    Fast forward several years later... I cannot delete items from a scene.....

I don't think Insteon has any developers.
                    And that is still true today. I wish they'd just release the software as open source; I could fix a multitude of bugs in this app in probably a day. I just don't get it with this crew. Very frustrating.

Comment

Working...
                    X