Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

6 button Keypad dimmer - main button doesn't control scene in app

Hub 2, 6 button Keypad dimmer

I have the main button (On/Off) programmed, through the hub app, as a controller and responder for a lighting scene (fanlink light, in case that's relevant). Note that the Keypad load is not used at all--I'm just using it as a controller for another device (fanlink).

Expected behavior that works correctly:
    • the actual keypad hardware controls the linked load (turns on/off the light)
    • the scene in the hub app controls the linked load (turns on/off the light) and controls the main button on the keypad (main button switches from on to off, etc.)
    Expected behavior that does not work correctly:
    • the keypad button in the app is not labeled with the scene name (like other buttons are labeled with the scene name, not generic name)
    • the keypad button in the app does not control the turn on/off the light (only turns the keypad main button from on to off, etc.)
    Any tips if I'm doing something wrong? Is this a bug in the hub SW?

Edit: added app screenshot
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Laplacian; 10-23-2019, 10:18 AM.

The main On/Off buttons on the keypads are not considered scene buttons (right or wrong), which is why the app leaves them as Main On/Off. You are not doing anything wrong here.

The other issue has to do with approach to the controller and app. The Hub is really direct control over your devices. When you select an individual device, like the keypad, and your turn it on, or off, you are only interacting with that device, even if you have linked other devices as responders to it. When you made the scene, a new icon was created under the scenes section. When you tap into it it will look like a regular decorator paddle but when you turn it On or Off the entire scene will work as intended.

Comment

Thanks for the quick response, SeanM.

Originally posted by SeanM View Post
      The main On/Off buttons on the keypads are not considered scene buttons (right or wrong), which is why the app leaves them as Main On/Off. You are not doing anything wrong here.
      ???? I don't understand what you're saying here. They absolutely are scene buttons. You are able to make the main button a controller, responder, or both, of a scene. A single press of the actual device HW button controls my scene. I don't have my keypad dimmer load connected to anything so it wouldn't work at all if it weren't part of a scene.

Originally posted by SeanM View Post
      The other issue has to do with approach to the controller and app. The Hub is really direct control over your devices. When you select an individual device, like the keypad, and your turn it on, or off, you are only interacting with that device, even if you have linked other devices as responders to it. When you made the scene, a new icon was created under the scenes section. When you tap into it it will look like a regular decorator paddle but when you turn it On or Off the entire scene will work as intended.
      While I could buy this explanation, it is not consistent. The secondary buttons on a Keypad control the entire scene and are even labeled with the scene name (see my attached screenshot). Tapping a secondary button of a keypad device in the app actually does control the scene, not just the button. Tapping the main button of a keypad device in the app only controls the button. This is inconsistent and should be considered a bug.

Comment

Originally posted by Laplacian View Post
        Thanks for the quick response, SeanM.

???? I don't understand what you're saying here. They absolutely are scene buttons. You are able to make the main button a controller, responder, or both, of a scene. A single press of the actual device HW button controls my scene. I don't have my keypad dimmer load connected to anything so it wouldn't work at all if it weren't part of a scene.

While I could buy this explanation, it is not consistent. The secondary buttons on a Keypad control the entire scene and are even labeled with the scene name (see my attached screenshot). Tapping a secondary button of a keypad device in the app actually does control the scene, not just the button. Tapping the main button of a keypad device in the app only controls the button. This is inconsistent and should be considered a bug.
        Sean isn't saying you can't add the main buttons to a scene. He is saying the the main on/off button is seen as a device itself since it controls the attached load just like any other standard insteon device. Since the A-D buttons are designed to be for scenes they work directly from the app. They cannot control an attached load unlike the main button

This is not a bug. It's how kpls work. In a sense, they are 2 devices in 1. Its only a bug to you because you want it to perform a specific way. However, many people may still want to control their local load only vs other devices.
        Last edited by lilyoyo1; 10-25-2019, 02:41 AM.

Comment

Okay, I see. The only way to control the KPL local load in the app is to have the main button control the local load only. Still inconsistent with the other buttons on the KPL itself, which is confusing. It would be nice if the app could have an option (app toggle switch) to have the KPL main button in the app act as device control or scene control, since the most of the functionality of KPLs is designed to control scenes.

Comment

Personally I think they should do away with the other buttons on the device page since those are "scene" only. To me, that would be more consistent. That's the difficult part in designing an app. Everyone wants it their way. Depends on how it works they'll either hate it or love it .

Comment

There is a new app in a limited Beta right now. When the regular beta pool opens up you might consider applying for access.

https://www.thedigitalmediazone.com/...great-promise/

Comment

Working...
              X