Can I set Controller and Responder on app

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can I set Controller and Responder on app

Hi so I just tried it today first time thinking I don't have to physically run around pressing all sorts of buttons on the devices in order to do this because everything can be done in the app. However it appears that assigning Controller Responder relationship is not possible. Is this true?

Can I assign dimness levels to the keys on the keypads and then just select the scene from the keys on the keypads to control brightness without using the app?

Create a scne. Add the devices you want to the scene and set each device as a controller, responder or both.
    Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
    Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

Stu thanks for replying but the problem was I wasn't able to find the function on either Windows or Android app to set device as controller or responder. Is this something that must be done physically on each device using the set button?

Comment

When you add a device to a scene, there's an option to set the device as a controller, responder or both.
        Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.

Comment

OMG I just found it. However this is only on the Android app. Can you confirm the Windows one doesn't have this function?
          Also by setting it to Both, rather than Responder or Controller, it'd keep the three dimming keypad shown in the picture to have their buttons synchronized, right?
          You do not have permission to view this gallery.
          This gallery has 2 photos.

Comment

Correct, setting the devices to both will keep the buttons/paddles synch'ed. AFAIK, the Windows app has the same ability.

Comment

Stu I checked again but the app doesn't seem to have the ability to set any of the scene buttons on the keypad other than the main on or off buttons, and there is no place I can find where I can link the controllers and responders. This is what I'm seeing. Can you let me know which screen I can find these 2 functions on?
              You do not have permission to view this gallery.
              This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

True, the window's app can completely screw up your insteon network. Especially if you have mutli-button keypads. The windows app actually shows multiple things linked to a single device but doesn't understand that that device has 6 or 8 buttons. The Android app is better but still can take a long time to set stuff up and doesn't have detailed enough prompts to keep you from linking devices to incorrect buttons on the mini-remotes. I've not had real good luck programming wall mount 8 button remotes via the android app, but it may be possible (I stopped trying to use it for that).

If you really want to program multi-button insteon devices it appears that only the IOS version of the app is solid. Of course I spent about an hour last night trying to program a scene on my paddle switch to turn on the light for that switch to 50%. All of the other devices that "controlled" the scene worked and turned the light on to 50%, but if I pushed the actual paddle button which was supposed to be controlling the same scene the lights would turn on to 100%. This worked the same way on both android and ios apps. I found that the paddle button was activating the scene but since the device was directly attached to this switch the actual level was being set by the device settings which did not get modified by the app. I was able to edit the device in the app and have it turn on to 50% when I pushed that device paddle switch directly and now everything works, but since I set the paddle light switch to "both" in the scene I thought that the device should actually activate to the scene level instead of having to manually edit the device level separate from the scene.
                Last edited by Thaun; 11-10-2016, 03:42 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X