Forget about using Insteon for Hub on Windows 11

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Forget about using Insteon for Hub on Windows 11

I just spoke with Support, and they said they will NOT be making the Insteon for Hub App compatible with Windows 11. So, if you have Windows 11, just uninstall the App (that used to work fine under Windows 10) and use your Android or iOS mobile device. Tough love. Of course, the Windows App was never very useful, though you could control existing devices with it.

I noticed the Windows 10 App stopped functioning too. I hope that confirms that Insteon will still function going forward. At least it's apparent someone is tweaking it.

Comment

INSTEON is no longer a viable company. The only hold outs are people who have big investments in their hardware, like me. I would start saving money to invest in new switches from another compnay.

Comment

Originally posted by Homeautoguy View Post
        INSTEON is no longer a viable company. The only hold outs are people who have big investments in their hardware, like me. I would start saving money to invest in new switches from another compnay.
        Sigh. That about sums it up.

Windows 11 compatibility isn't that hard if you're any kind of experienced developer. To not support it means they are hacky and not very good.

It could also mean that they used a sub-contractor to do the programming and can't get that guy back.

The best thing they could do is make it open source.

== John ==

Comment

FWIW, you can use the "Your Phone Companion" and load the app and run it from your Windows 11 PC (and probably Win 10 also, but I only have 11 now so I can't test it). The app also might run in Dex mode which should allow it to go full screen, etc., but I haven't tested that yet.

Comment

Originally posted by jgwinner View Post

Sigh. That about sums it up.

Windows 11 compatibility isn't that hard if you're any kind of experienced developer. To not support it means they are hacky and not very good.

It could also mean that they used a sub-contractor to do the programming and can't get that guy back.

The best thing they could do is make it open source.

== John ==
            Companies support things that people use. Most people do not want to use their computers to control their devices. They want to use an app on their phone, Alexa, Google, and apple.

Comment

Will this item be reevaluated now under new management? This app is very critical to the overall platform usefulness. Being able to track home activities while at work are hugely important and has sucked since it has been deprecated.

Comment

Originally posted by lilyoyo1 View Post

Companies support things that people use. Most people do not want to use their computers to control their devices. They want to use an app on their phone, Alexa, Google, and apple.
                A screen by the front door is going to be based on a phone instead of a Raspberry Pi? How about a master control panel?

If you can't update software that already exists to Windows 11, or build a Raspberry Pi app, you're falling behind. That's a professional opinion, I develop apps for smart homes. My company builds smart homes. We don't use phones on the walls.

== John ==

Comment

Mine worked fine on Windows 10 up until about a month ago. I'm switching to a Universal Devices controller.

Comment

A screen by the front door is going to be based on a phone instead of a Raspberry Pi? How about a master control panel?

If you can't update software that already exists to Windows 11, or build a Raspberry Pi app, you're falling behind. That's a professional opinion, I develop apps for smart homes. My company builds smart homes. We don't use phones on the walls.

== John ==

And I own a Home Automation company. We can go back and forth about what we do but reality is, windows 11 support isn't necessary. After all- it has less than 1% of the market.

From my experience on both coasts, most people use iPads (non-dealer installations) when it comes to touch screens on walls not windows based tablets. The few outliers will use some type of android based tablets. The 1% of windows tablets in homes is not enough to justify anything....been there/done that.

Most people who are installing touch screens on walls aren't using the insteon hub (or similar systems. In general (except for pro level solutions) they either use their own custom interface with more advanced controllers, or design their own software. The few who use the hub app in that manner will still choose an ipad or Android based tablet which the hub readily supports which means 99% of their constomers are covered.

In regards to a master control panel; as simple as the hub is when it comes to controlling devices- what benefit is there for a windows app? Who's going to log into their computer to do exactly what they can do on their phone? It would be much different if the hub was an advanced controller like the Isy
                    Last edited by lilyoyo1; 08-18-2022, 05:06 PM.

Comment

Nice to see the forums back up!

windows 11 support isn't necessary. After all- it has less than 1% of the market.
                      That's not actually what I said, I said "update software that already exists to Windows 11". I did mix up a few things.

That desktop software is used to program the system.

I was really talking about maintaining the software that already exists. Programming Insteon was just much easier with the native software than the various HomeSeer plugins, etc. I mean, it was sort of the reference implementation.

Windows 11 as of this month has an 18% share, and windows 10 a 71.9% share, of all Windows devices.

Insteon needs to update their software. My guess is, it was probably a contractor that wrote it, and they've lost that talent and have no idea how to proceed. I've seen that before.

In regards to a master control panel; as simple as the hub is when it comes to controlling devices- what benefit is there for a windows app? Who's going to log into their computer to do exactly what they can do on their phone? It would be much different if the hub was an advanced controller like the Isy
                      Not looking for a windows app for that screen by the front door - I agree that windows Mobile is kinda dead - I mentioned phone vs Pi.

Raspberry Pi's are pretty common nowadays, especially in the DIY market, but sure, a tablet, hopefully Android as it's more open, or an iPad is an easy form factor, and I agree most high end stuff is embedded (wouldn't surprise me if it's a Pi though underneath)

== John ==

Comment

Nice to see the forums back up!

That's not actually what I said, I said "update software that already exists to Windows 11". I did mix up a few things.

That desktop software is used to program the system. The phone apps can also be used to program the system.

I was really talking about maintaining the software that already exists. Programming Insteon was just much easier with the native software than the various HomeSeer plugins, etc. I mean, it was sort of the reference implementation.

Windows 11 as of this month has an 18% share, and windows 10 a 71.9% share, of all Windows devices.

Insteon needs to update their software. My guess is, it was probably a contractor that wrote it, and they've lost that talent and have no idea how to proceed. I've seen that before.

​​​​​​Not looking for a windows app for that screen by the front door - I agree that windows Mobile is kinda dead - I mentioned phone vs Pi.

Raspberry Pi's are pretty common nowadays, especially in the DIY market, but sure, a tablet, hopefully Android as it's more open, or an iPad is an easy form factor, and I agree most high end stuff is embedded (wouldn't surprise me if it's a Pi though underneath)

== John ==
                        The desktop app only came about because of a marketing deal with Microsoft at a time when they were pushing the windows experience (mobile, and desktop integration) which never quite panned out. Apple and Android were planned to be the programming medium. If Microsoft hadn't approached imsteon about a partnership, the windows app never would've been created
                        Homeseer plugin's as with anyone else's plug-in is a 3rd party extension. Has nothing to do with imsteon directly. In fact, the windows app had less capability than iOS and Android apps in regards to programming a system. The hub was designed to be a mobile experience not a computer based one.

They've stated they're going to release a new hub..I highly doubt much effort will be put into the old one. There is limited ROI in trying to maintain the old setup. They'll want to make their money back from buying insteon and starting back up. Can't do that with limited subscription sales with old equipment.

I was talking about tablet marketshare since you stated a screen by the front door or master panel. Regardless, most users will still use their phone or tablet to control their home. Will some users use their desktop or laptop??? Of course. But imsteon has the metrics/data to see how their stuff is being used to best determine where to put their energy. If the windows platform is worth it, they'll probably due so. If it's not; they won't.

Insteon isn't looking to be in that custom market though an enterprising diy person can use it that way.

High end companies such as C4 and savant is generally custom built apps/software not rpi based for their touchscreens. Others such as Lutron have apps custom designed to be used on iPads and android tablets (most installers will use iPads). C4, Savant, and others with their own touchscreens will also do the same as lower cost options for dealers.

Comment

Last edited by INSTEON John; 11-07-2023, 05:09 PM. Reason: Erased hidden code linked to a non-relevant web site like spam

Comment

Working...
                          X