Public Beta of new smartphone app

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Public Beta of new smartphone app

I just joined the newly-announced public beta of the new Android app. I have it installed in my Pixel 3, but haven't yet had a chance to test it much. What I did see so far is snappier performance, a welcome change.

I will be interested to see if they've done any improvements in the scheduling subsystem. In fact, I think I'll create a new topic to discuss that. I have some ideas that could improve flexibility a lot.

I am more concerned about the removal of support for devices, such as Smoke Bridge, Thermostat and Door Locks. These worked and I am sure others besides me have them installed. If they do not get added, I will be staying with the old Android App.

Comment

I wonder why they dropped support. Yeah, if I had and about-to-be-unsupported items, I'd be concerned too.

Comment

Keep in mind this is still beta, so those devices may be supported at some point.

But at the same time, I understand the need to focus. If supporting a device far exceeds the effort, I'd rather see a company narrow the focus to what they do well (see famous business school study, "Crossing the Chasm".). Like it or not, the Insteon thermostats were always a kludge, now far dwarfed by offerings from Ecobee, Nest, and others. I'd rather see Insteon take up integration with these automation-leading companies, and focus on their value add.

Comment

Yes I noticed a few things removed from the new beta App. I hope they will include support for the devices. I understand the narrowing of focus, but those of us who are dependent on these features will be disappointed if they drop them completely. I have both Apps still installed due to the fact of the dropped devices. I can make suggestions on the new app, but I don't think my voice will be heard lol.

Comment

I noticed that the old Insteon for Hub App now supports Nest® Learning Thermostat TM in addition to the Insteon Thermostats. I hope this is a sign that the new Insteon (beta) App will support third-party thermostats in the future. I really hope that if they do, they also support a few more of the popular ones like Ecobee, Honeywell and Emerson (these are all available with rebates through my local supplier ComEd). I currently use an Insteon 2441 but would love to switch to something a little newer and feature-rich. Plus, Smarthome stopped carrying the 2441 so I think the "writing is on the wall".

I have given up hope of camera support (of any kind) in the beta and I have a door lock as well but it looks like I may need to be looking at another brand on that too.

The new look and performance is really encouraging but the lack of information flowing on the development is extremely frustrating. Or maybe I am just looking at the wrong place for information. Either way, I keep "playing" with the Beta, but in the end, I always use the Insteon for Hub App to get things done "for real".

Comment

Originally posted by ralphie View Post
              I am more concerned about the removal of support for devices, such as Smoke Bridge, Thermostat and Door Locks. These worked and I am sure others besides me have them installed. If they do not get added, I will be staying with the old Android App.
              I can't agree more. I still have to use the old app for my thermostat.

also, I have a couple device that are on the edge of coverage and on the old app I may just have to send the command several times and it will respond. on the new app if it doesn't communicate it won't let you control it. I hope that gets corrected too with at least an option in the settings that will allow control of non-checked in devices.

Comment

The beta app appears to only understand a device state it has set (and doesn't detect state changes from other sources).

Has anyone else had a problem with device state in the new app? I'm running iOS version 1.0.126.

When I open the app, it shows all of my devices as off (regardless of their actual state). If I use the beta app to change the state of the device then it registers the change in state (on/off/% dim etc.) specifically if the device is on and I use the beta app to turn it on, then the app state changes to on, if I then use the app to turn it off, the light goes off and the beta app knows about the change in state. If a wall switch is used to change devices state the beta app sees the change for some switches (I suspect it doesn't see state changes created by scenes). Also the beta app sees motion sensor events - but not the change in state created by the scene that is triggered. Is this expected behavior? Can someone point me to the beta app documentation (and if this is the wrong forum a friendly nudge in the right direction would be appreciated).

Comment

My issue with the new Lighting app is that I have to login again every time I try to use it. I need to use the app to turn off a light every evening and requiring a new login every time is a PITA. Hope they can resolve this quickly.

Comment

Originally posted by ralphie View Post
                    Getting any ideas about how to deal with this? We have an Insteon thermostat that's been working smoothly for years & removing the remote functionality will require us to consider an entirely separate system because the ability to control it manually (fr'instance, turning the heat back up as we head home), is a BFD for us

Comment

Originally posted by WaltFrench View Post

Getting any ideas about how to deal with this? We have an Insteon thermostat that's been working smoothly for years & removing the remote functionality will require us to consider an entirely separate system because the ability to control it manually (fr'instance, turning the heat back up as we head home), is a BFD for us
                      Like PJL says, I stayed with the old app. With that, my door lock, thermostat and cameras all work so I am all good..

Comment

Originally posted by WaltFrench View Post

For an inexpensive fantastic thermostat, check out the Sensi products. I dumped the Insteon thermostat and Sensi is so much better. Great app too for unlimited scheduling and all manner of features. I use it most when we are coming home from vacation to get the house back to the way we want it!

Comment

Working...
                        X