Door lock Recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Door lock Recommendations

Could I get some recommendations for a door lock deadbolt handle lock combination to use for my main entry door to my house to use with the Insteon Door switch device. I would assume these are solenoid operated locks and what is the typical power supply requirements and/or are they battery operated. Any help appreciated.

There are two types of lock for doors. Those that have a handle on the outside are are called door locks, those that do not have an exterior handle are called deadbolts. Do you mean a set of two locks, which BTW is not uncommon? Virtually all residential automated locks are battery powered.
    Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
    Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

Yes, there are interconnected locks available that combine the regular cylindrical entry function lock with a deadbolt, but I'm not aware of one that offers Insteon connectivity and the interconnect that you're looking for - most of the lock manufacturers who do this kind of thing have adopted Z-Wave as their connection partner.
      Stu is correct in saying that most standalone electrically operated locks are battery operated, but his definition of locks is almost entirely incorrect. An expert in Insteon Automation he may be, but that does not make him an expert in locks.
      As a locksmith with more than a couple of decades of experience, I would strongly advise against having your physical home security linked to any kind of network or automation system - securing my home trumps any kind of "coolness" or convenience of unlocking any door that I'm not standing in front of; I only want the door to open when I'm 100% ready and not due to a glitch in a system, a mistakenly set timer, an errant button push or a stolen smartphone. I would also value the majority of free advice found on a forum as almost exactly what you paid for it, and not worth the paper it's written on
      Best of luck finding something if you decide to go ahead - unfortunately a real locksmith will probably not have any recommendations and the internet is full of hype, glamour and misinformation about what you're looking for.

Comment

The locksmith is correct. Locks with a handle on the outside are not called door locks, they're keyed knobs or levers
        Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
        Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

Thanks for the info....I went to the Smarthome website and they had some deadbolt entry locks that were supposed to be compatible with the Insteon system. I am going to look into these and see if they will serve my needs. Also the security aspect is something to think about as well. Thanks again for all the replies.....

Comment

Choose only those locks that are compatible with Insteon system, think before you get any locks from any locksmith store.

Comment

Deadbolt entry can restrict burglars and thefts to a great extent so asking a locksmith to install these locks isn't a bad idea.
              Last edited by SeanM; 10-14-2020, 09:46 AM. Reason: removed ad link

Comment

So door locks are usually controlled my different type of operating systems so they may create some errors after some time then you really need House Locksmith who can fix that type of issues and secure the lock. Also if you have an good budget you can also replace them properly with the best quality.
                Last edited by annijonn; 01-02-2023, 12:29 AM.

Comment

Working...
                X