USB-C ports and the 2413U USB Insteon PowerLinc Modem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

USB-C ports and the 2413U USB Insteon PowerLinc Modem

Having difficulty using 2413U with my 2019 16" MacBook Pro, which has only USB-C ports.

The 2413U is an excellent product, enabling a world of possibilities through rich software control. Unfortunately, it is known to prefer a USB 2.0 connection, preferably, directly to the computer, and not a hub. The USB 2.0 standard emerged in April of 2000, 19 years ago. Newer machines do not offer a USB 2.0 ports, or even USB 3.0 ports. If it were possible to use a hub, there are fewer and fewer USB 2.0 hubs which connect to a USB-C port. Before long, there will be none.

If the 2413U is not revised to support USB-C, there will be no way to directly connect it to Apple machines, or, perhaps even a future generation of Windows machines. If the 2413U does not at least support USB 3.x, there soon won't be any hubs to connect it to either.

All of the following connection methods failed:
    • USB-C port on Mac --> USB C printer cable --> 2413U
    • USB-C port on Mac --> USB 3.0 adapter --> USB 2.0 printer cable --> 2413U
    • USB-C port on Mac --> USB 3.1 hub --> USB 2.0 printer cable --> 2413U
    • USB-C port on Mac --> Thunderbolt monitor --> USB 2.0 port on monitor --> USB 2.0 printer cable --> 2413U
    I have loved Insteon product for many years. I hope this is not the end. Without a working 2413U, I can no longer control my devices using software. Is SmartHome working to modernize the 2413U to work with the current generation of Apple machines?

The only way I see the FT232R USB UART entry in the USB device tree is using this configuration:

USB-C port on Mac --> USB 3.1 hub --> USB 2.0 hub --> USB 2.0 printer cable --> 2413U

The resulting USB device tree is attached, and also shown here:
    2019-12-02_19-03-44.jpeg

Unfortunately, this device tree is too convoluted for the 2413U to be found by the controlling software.

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.

There is a new Serial Port and USB PLM in the FCC Database. Seems to have many new features. Mentioned Apple compatible in the preliminary manual on the FCC web page.
    You may want to look at my post here on the new PLM.

Comment

Originally posted by BLH View Post
      There is a new Serial Port and USB PLM in the FCC Database. Seems to have many new features. Mentioned Apple compatible in the preliminary manual on the FCC web page.
      You may want to look at my post here on the new PLM.
      That is very helpful! thank you

Comment

Working...
      X